+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! My Sponsored Family Filed for Welfare...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saga said:
Hi - I don't know much about sponsor ships, but maybe you can retract your sponsorship. After all you willingly proposed to sponsor them so maybe immigration services will accept that you stop your sponsorship and in this case will cancel your family's immigration papers, PR status and oblige them to leave the country. I think that is doable, they will have to proof that they can provide for themselves (which apparently they can't). It is a drastic measure that will lead in having them expelled out of Canada but not bad if they are actually doing anything fraudulant (you need to have a case)
It is not possible to cancel a sponsorship once the family member has landed. However, in a spousal case where the spouse is under condition 51, the sponsor can complain about marriage fraud if the sponsored spouse leaves within 2 years. The sponsored spouse can in turn complain about abuse and there is no guarantee that the sponsored spouse will actually lose their PR and even if they do, the sponsor is still on the hook for any financial assistance they received until being deported.

In this case where parents are being sponsored, there are no conditions and the sponsor is 100% on the hook for their support as per their sponsorship agreement.

The only loophole is if the sponsor is aware of the parents having lied about their background when they applied. In that case, the sponsor can complain about the parents doing that and in the case that the parents do get investigated and are found to have committed misrepresentation, they could lose their PR.

CrisAb

Feb 14, 2013
Leon said:
It is not possible to cancel a sponsorship once the family member has landed. However, in a spousal case where the spouse is under condition 51, the sponsor can complain about marriage fraud if the sponsored spouse leaves within 2 years. The sponsored spouse can in turn complain about abuse and there is no guarantee that the sponsored spouse will actually lose their PR and even if they do, the sponsor is still on the hook for any financial assistance they received until being deported.

In this case where parents are being sponsored, there are no conditions and the sponsor is 100% on the hook for their support as per their sponsorship agreement.

The only loophole is if the sponsor is aware of the parents having lied about their background when they applied. In that case, the sponsor can complain about the parents doing that and in the case that the parents do get investigated and are found to have committed misrepresentation, they could lose their PR.

One of the lies I know of that they did during the sponsorship application was that they declared that my sister was born in a private house somewhere in the province but actually she was born in a hospital within a major city in the Philippines. Will that be a case?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CrisAb said:
One of the lies I know of that they did during the sponsorship application was that they declared that my sister was born in a private house somewhere in the province but actually she was born in a hospital within a major city in the Philippines. Will that be a case?
Why would they lie about that? Doesn't her birth certificate say in which city she was born?

CrisAb

Feb 14, 2013
Leon said:
Why would they lie about that? Doesn't her birth certificate say in which city she was born?

Here is the answer:
My parents are crook, they never work their whole life back home. They made 4 children and they just financially depend on my late grandmother's monthly US allowance to send to them in able to raise their 4 kids, including me back in the days. Now my youngest sister, who was born in the hospital during 1998. Well, my grandmother sent them the money to pay for the hospital bills but they never paid the hospital and deceitfully left the private hospital where my sister was born without paying a dime and ran away. Hence, they were not able to get her birth certificate because they ran away form the hospital bills, even though my late grandmother sent them the money y to pay for the hospital bills, my parents rather spend it than to get a legit birth certificate for my youngest sister. Can you imagine what kid of parents they are. After 7 years, my sister had to go to school and they cannot provide birth certificate because of what they did to the hospital where she was born, now they called someone the know to make a falsified birth certificate in order for my sister to be accepted to school, in grade 1. See how bad they were ever since, crooks and villains. I feel bad for myself, my husband and kids because we gave them a chance here in Canada as I thought all they need is a chance in life. I'm wrong, a culprit will always be a culprit no matter how much help you give them.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on all of the information you've provided, I don't see anything that would lead to their PR status being canceled. They are here to stay.

As I believe was mentioned previously, I think your only real option is to prove they are receiving social assistance fraudulently.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Hello badpusacat, yes from the day one the 4 of them came to Canada - I feed them, I gave shelter to them, I offered work to them, I even showered them with birthday gifts such as Iphones, new Ipod and new Samsung tab 4 when they all came here. I did not only give them basic needs but the luxuries in life that they never had back home. I bought a brand new 8-seater car so that all of us (my family and the 4 of them) can go all together wherever we wanted. I applied and paid for their visitor visa to the USA, I already brought them across the border to explore the USA within 1 year of their stay in Canada, I bought all of them season pass to Canada's wonderland so that they can spend their summer in the amusement park. My husband co-signed my dad's brand new 2016 car last October. When they left us, I always visit my dad at his workplace since they moved out just to ask if they needed help. Whenever I get a chance, I bring lunch for my dad at his workplace (my husband and him work in for the same company) because for me no matter what they did, at the end of the day he is still my dad. My husband and I always ask my dad if they are alright, we even offered all our furniture if they needed it while moving out, I even offered cash money for their first & last and deposit for their rent but they said they are in good condition (little did I know that they were already collecting welfare money). The lists goes on and on, my husband and I offered nothing but good deeds, but unfortunately we were blindsided... Then my older brother back home asked for my help to sponsor him, I said I will try. So then my eldest brother shared the good news to our mom saying that I will try to sponsor him next, however, my mom boastfully said that I cannot sponsor anyone anymore as me and my husband were banned and blacklisted in the immigration, of course I was shocked so then I tried to reach out to my mom but then she accused me of harassing them right at the moment I tried to reach out to her just to ask what happened. Little did she know that I intentionally meet with them under the CCTV camera so that I can defend myself if in any case they will further falsely accuse me of doing such things... I think if free money is involved, they will continue on making up story and collect welfare money on my expense as long as people are still listening and being one-sided in favor of them.
This is very sad. That’s why always think twice before sponsoring someone to come to Canada. Too kind too stupid. Sorry

Reactions: CrisAb

CrisAb

Feb 14, 2013
if you think they are getting welfare fraudulantly, then build a case around it and send it to the welfare agency. if it can be proven, then the welfare agency has a right to know, and they can/will stop payments immediately. google "welfare fraud" and your city/ province, and see what comes up. maybe there's a reporting system in your area...

and if your husband has co-signed for a car, see if there's anything he can do to get his name off the loan and/or get the car repossessed.

I'm sure it will take a lot of work and it may or may not lead to anything. there's nothing else to lose at this point, so it's worth a shot!
Thank you for your suggestion, it was a success.

CrisAb

Feb 14, 2013
Do you know for a fact that they are getting 1,000 per month? If they are, it is possible that your mother lied about something. You should talk to Ontario works and tell them that you know for a fact how much your father makes and that your husband has co-signed for his car to help him get to work and that you have often offered them money and that to your knowledge your mother has nothing wrong with her that she can't work.
I did and it worked.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
:'( My husband and I successfully sponsored 4 extended families from the Philippines. They all arrived and became permanent residents of Canada since April 2014. My mom is currently unemployed (aged 59), my dad is currently employed making approx. $1,110 bi-weekly (aged 61), my brother was employed but was just laid-off (aged 23) and is currently sponsoring his wife and child, and my sister a student (aged 18). Due to some family dispute involving the welfare and safety of my kids (my mom, brother and sister left my 7 year old daughter by herself while sick with 39.8C fever while me and my husband were at work), I decided to open the door for my brother asking him to get out of my house last November 2015 and my mom, dad and sister left a month after I learned that my mom neglected my minor children and not picking or dropping them off to the 2 blocks away bus stop without my knowledge. Now it's been 5-6 months since they all left. However, I just learned this week that my mom filed for welfare money is apparently getting $1,000 a month for assistance. My husband and I sponsored them and I know that the length of our undertaking is 10 yrs. I heard that they are also currently working with a case worker from Ontario Works, I do not know the implications of this to me and my family. Apparently, my mom falsely claimed that she is a victim of abuse and/or domestic violence (but was not proven) so she does not have to work (as she used to do in the Philippines) while claiming welfare money. They obviously is claiming false accusations against us and turned the story the other way around. I think I needed a lawyer, I wanted to file cases against them: Negligence towards my minor aged children, Breach of trust, Libel for making the false accusations towards us in Ontario Works, etc. What is the right course of action that we can do as these are all staged-up and they know that thy can claim money on my expense? Why did Ontario Works even listen to their false accusations if they have history of doing it in the Philippines and without asking our side of the story? Life is so unfair. After all the hardships we did just so they can all come here, after sending money to them every month while they were in the Philippines, after sending my brother and sister to private schools back home - this is what they are giving us in return?! I'm so down and so stressed-out. Please reply. Thank you. :'(
This story is troubling for anyone who wants to sponsor a relative to relocate to Canada.
May we have an update on this story please?
i am thinking of sponsoring my wife to Canada, but reading various stories like this is freaking me out.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for your suggestion, it was a success.
Were you able to report them fraudulantly received walfare?

Some may want to know just a little bit of details. Did you have to pay for the portion they already received or they were made to pay back the fraudulantly received amount?

Reactions: Tubsmagee