+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[help !!] can I still sponsor spouse or misrepresentation ?

Maple leaf in CA

Sep 1, 2022
I met with my spouse in Canada last Nov while I held a work permit and he had a student permit, and we decided to marry this Aug.

when received the certificate end of Sep, I immediately submitted webforms to notify IRCC of this change with clear wording and both of our info in contents with supporting doc. The auto-reply of receipt was received the next day but I never reach the hotline successfully to inquire the progress that was always busy.

later I also sent an email to PNP provincial office for this change, but they just replied nothing can do and suggested inquiring with IRCC about the sponsor spouse. I just misunderstood it was in vain right now to add up anyone and have to consider another sponsor stream later. In this case, when I received the approval letter and just replied my personal info only like name, uci, last entry of port, yes in canada....etc, and nothing else was mentioned there.

However, I received the eCoPR two weeks later to find nothing was updated and marriage still single there.....I became very upset since I plan to sponsor my spouse later but my friends told me it is impossible from current eCoPR stated.

Now I don't know what should I do is the safest and right option? if I turn back to remind them again, whether they will revoke my PR and ban me 5 years......or just reopen my case again to add up spouse for reassessment? Or just do nothing to let this end, and give up sponsor spouse but let my spouse apply via other streams by own future, any risk there?

appreciate for every answer and advice....sincerely

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I could swear I just wrote in a thread that's now gone.

Contact a lawyer. Contact IRCC after you speak to lawyer.

You are probably protected by dint of having notified IRCC before. But: lawyer.

And marrying while your app was in process and almost done? Not well thought out. It would have/should have added six months or so.

And repeat: this is not a spousal case. Post in the right forum.

Maple leaf in CA

Sep 1, 2022
I could swear I just wrote in a thread that's now gone.

Contact a lawyer. Contact IRCC after you speak to lawyer.

You are probably protected by dint of having notified IRCC before. But: lawyer.

And marrying while your app was in process and almost done? Not well thought out. It would have/should have added six months or so.

And repeat: this is not a spousal case. Post in the right forum.
appreciated, Sir

so do you mean only a lawyer could help to protect me from this issue on his legal authority right now, rather than those licenced immigration consultants?

as for marriage, at that time the app had been silent for almost a year and had no idea how long it might last afterward......

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I met with my spouse in Canada last Nov while I held a work permit and he had a student permit, and we decided to marry this Aug.

when received the certificate end of Sep, I immediately submitted webforms to notify IRCC of this change with clear wording and both of our info in contents with supporting doc. The auto-reply of receipt was received the next day but I never reach the hotline successfully to inquire the progress that was always busy.

later I also sent an email to PNP provincial office for this change, but they just replied nothing can do and suggested inquiring with IRCC about the sponsor spouse. I just misunderstood it was in vain right now to add up anyone and have to consider another sponsor stream later. In this case, when I received the approval letter and just replied my personal info only like name, uci, last entry of port, yes in canada....etc, and nothing else was mentioned there.

However, I received the eCoPR two weeks later to find nothing was updated and marriage still single there.....I became very upset since I plan to sponsor my spouse later but my friends told me it is impossible from current eCoPR stated.

Now I don't know what should I do is the safest and right option? if I turn back to remind them again, whether they will revoke my PR and ban me 5 years......or just reopen my case again to add up spouse for reassessment? Or just do nothing to let this end, and give up sponsor spouse but let my spouse apply via other streams by own future, any risk there?

You're probably better off posting this in the Express Entry or PNP section of the forum. This isn't really a family sponsorship section - it's more of an economic immigration question. I personally don't know what you should do. Might be a good idea to get a consult with a lawyer.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
appreciated, Sir

so do you mean only a lawyer could help to protect me from this issue on his legal authority right now, rather than those licenced immigration consultants?

as for marriage, at that time the app had been silent for almost a year and had no idea how long it might last afterward......
Lawyer can only give you legal advice on your best options. They can't "protect" you with their legal authority.

Immigration consultants have less training and aren't legal professionals. They are a poor choice for more complicated situations.

Reactions: armoured

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011

you have a proof that you updated IRCC ,thats a good start ,following up on your spouse status thats what you should be focusing on ,revoking your PR thats not going to happen .

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

This is tricky. But it's not a family sponsorship case.
If your spouse was never requested for medical exam or police check certificate, he/she was not included in your PR application.

Consult an immigration lawyer. Best case would be that they took back your eCOPR and issue new ones after your spouse passed medical, police, background checks. (that's more do-able for a REAL COPR outland when the PA hasn't landed yet. Not sure how it's done with eCOPR.)

Maple leaf in CA

Sep 1, 2022
you have a proof that you updated IRCC ,thats a good start ,following up on your spouse status thats what you should be focusing on ,revoking your PR thats not going to happen .
thanks for the advice, what I am concerned is that they would question me why not to update my spouse's info when received the approval letter, and then just withdraw my ecopr and further ban me in 5 years..... I can't bear this result.....

actually, my spouse still could go with his own application future via EE or others, even if we never consider a sponsor again...... so I quite doubt what should I choose is the best mitigation

Maple leaf in CA

Sep 1, 2022
This is tricky. But it's not a family sponsorship case.
If your spouse was never requested for medical exam or police check certificate, he/she was not included in your PR application.

Consult an immigration lawyer. Best case would be that they took back your eCOPR and issue new ones after your spouse passed medical, police, background checks. (that's more do-able for a REAL COPR outland when the PA hasn't landed yet. Not sure how it's done with eCOPR.)
yes, this is also my question how they will deal with eCoPR inland...... what's more, once I go back to tell them again I am really concerned they will ban me in 5 years and say this is a misrepresentation.....

and my spouse is able to go with his own application future actually and if we don't choose to sponsor the spouse this time......but I don't know any risk if possible

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thanks for the advice, what I am concerned is that they would question me why not to update my spouse's info when received the approval letter, and then just withdraw my ecopr and further ban me in 5 years..... I can't bear this result.....
I think several have written that because you wrote to inform of your change of circumstances, you will probably NOT face an accusation of misrepresentation - and if you do, have a very good defence (it must be at worst an unintentional mistake because you had ALREADY informed them).

But stop worrying, do what people have suggested.

Maple leaf in CA

Sep 1, 2022
I think several have written that because you wrote to inform of your change of circumstances, you will probably NOT face an accusation of misrepresentation - and if you do, have a very good defence (it must be at worst an unintentional mistake because you had ALREADY informed them).

But stop worrying, do what people have suggested.
thanks, I checked my cic account and my work permit still show valid and expire at next Apr. and I saw another thread one guy also received eCoPR but he already back to his country after decision made, he also wrote to ircc this truth, then they cancelled that eCoPR and return his status as foreigner, and ask him to inform when he was back

the best case I hope to they can withdraw back eCoPR, and return back my worker status, then reopen my case and add up my spouse even if for extra months again .....