Never
Med's Done....
July 2015
Passport Req..
04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2015
Hi there,

I am moving to Toronto in 3 weeks. I would like to buy a health insurance to cover the 3months before I receive Health Card from Ontario. How would I go about it? What kind of insurance do I need? Can you recommend any particular place to buy it from?

Thanks!
Michal

Bincanada

May 19, 2015
I moved to a province that had instant coverage from day 1, here in Manitoba I went to the health office the same day I arrived and got health coverage.

In Ontario, you might go ahead and try to see if they'll hand you a health card now, just go to the office responsible for providing them. If they deny you, then it is entirely up to you. If you have no ongoing health problems and don't have a need, I'd just take the 3 months and risk it. It isn't like when you arrive at the hospital for an emergency they will deny you care. There's no need to waste money with private health insurance if you're a landed permanent resident in my opinion. I just escaped the US, which has a nightmare private health insurance system, and trust me... private insurance wont pay for most claims should you actually need to use it. Its not worth the money you waste on the policy. Chances are low you'll need to go to the ER in the next 3 months anyway.

So, in a nutshell, go ahead and apply now. If Ontario says you need to wait 3 months, then just risk it and wait the three months without a private policy.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Bincanada said:
So, in a nutshell, go ahead and apply now. If Ontario says you need to wait 3 months, then just risk it and wait the three months without a private policy.
Ontario has a 3 month waiting period. There is no exception to this.

Michal said:
I am moving to Toronto in 3 weeks. I would like to buy a health insurance to cover the 3months before I receive Health Card from Ontario. How would I go about it? What kind of insurance do I need? Can you recommend any particular place to buy it from?
You can purchase insurance to cover any emergencies during that time. You will not be able to get coverage for normal medical care such as doctor visits. I suggest you look in the Health section of the forum, there are many posts on this with suggestions for companies.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/health-b40.0/

Michal

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
AOR Received.
15-11-2015
IELTS Request
Never
Med's Done....
July 2015
Passport Req..
04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2015

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Bincanada said:
I moved to a province that had instant coverage from day 1, here in Manitoba I went to the health office the same day I arrived and got health coverage.

In Ontario, you might go ahead and try to see if they'll hand you a health card now, just go to the office responsible for providing them. If they deny you, then it is entirely up to you. If you have no ongoing health problems and don't have a need, I'd just take the 3 months and risk it. It isn't like when you arrive at the hospital for an emergency they will deny you care. There's no need to waste money with private health insurance if you're a landed permanent resident in my opinion. I just escaped the US, which has a nightmare private health insurance system, and trust me... private insurance wont pay for most claims should you actually need to use it. Its not worth the money you waste on the policy. Chances are low you'll need to go to the ER in the next 3 months anyway.

This is a very bad idea. You should definitely NOT risk that. You can't compare private health insurance in the states with the Canadian system. The health insurance systems in these two countries have barely anything in common. Private health insurance in Canada works perfectly fine.

If you "risk it" and don't have health insurance, all that needs to happen is a bad accident like a hit and run and you might end up with hospital bills and debt for the rest of your life.

Not getting health insurance really is one of the worst ideas ever. Sorry I have to put it like that.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's anybody's choice if they wait it out in Canada without health insurance because it is not mandatory to buy one. However, it is a big risk and we have seen people here who had an accident or emergency illness during that time or a member of their family who ended up with thousands of $ in bills.

Slowlybtsurely

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Please, is it possible to do a shortlanding in Alberta, get the health card and return to home country, then go to Ontario few months later to give birth. Will this individual be covered in Ontario with a healthcare gotten from Alberta?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Slowlybtsurely said:
Please, is it possible to do a shortlanding in Alberta, get the health card and return to home country, then go to Ontario few months later to give birth. Will this individual be covered in Ontario with a healthcare gotten from Alberta?
No. That is healthcare fraud.

Slowlybtsurely

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
No. That is healthcare fraud.
Really? Didn't know that.

Again, what if one does short landing in Ontario without applying for health card, but returns to Alberta to assess health care (child birth to be precise)? Will the individual be eligible for healthy coverage from day one? Bearing in mind that they already landed in Ontario but without applying for Ontario's health card.

Michal

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
AOR Received.
15-11-2015
IELTS Request
Never
Med's Done....
July 2015
Passport Req..
04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2015
Slowlybtsurely said:

Again, what if one does short landing in Ontario without applying for health card, but returns to Alberta to assess health care (child birth to be precise)? Will the individual be eligible for healthy coverage from day one? Bearing in mind that they already landed in Ontario but without applying for Ontario's health card.
I think what matters is the intent to stay and live in the province, having an address there, being a resident of the province.

Bincanada

May 19, 2015
spyfy said:
This is a very bad idea. You should definitely NOT risk that. You can't compare private health insurance in the states with the Canadian system. The health insurance systems in these two countries have barely anything in common. Private health insurance in Canada works perfectly fine.
I've seen Canadian based Blue Cross private plans challenge simple traveler's health insurance claims in the past. Bills went unpaid for a year before some of the claims I'm mentioning were negotiated, and then still weren't fully paid. Maybe it would be easier if the claim were made from within Canada, as this friend of mine visited the US, but the point remains it was a Canadian based private insurance, it was a claim made by a Canadian for an emergency visit to a US walk in clinic. The bill was sky high for being checked for the flu, so the insurance company disputed the claim. Maybe you are accurate if a Canadian doctor or hospital submitted a claim, maybe they wouldn't request outrageous reimbursement rates and it would be less likely to have a dispute?

If someone wants to purchase a temporary 3 month plan, they certainly can do so. My experience is that it isn't worth it. It depends on your circumstance, personally I lucked out since my move was to Manitoba and the policy here is health card from day 1. But even still, I don't have any ongoing health issues and personally I would be fine taking the risk.

Bincanada

May 19, 2015
Slowlybtsurely said:

I doubt anything would come of it, a health agency would have to pursue a case and find probable cause that you did something... They aren't going to do that. Fraud is a strong word, I'd probably stay away from saying that.

My best advice to you is to just focus on gaining health insurance in the province you intend on settling in. If you land in Alberta first, and if Alberta has a policy of providing a health card on day 1, then take it. That's where you legally and rightfully landed. However, if you don't intend on living in Alberta, just fly/travel to an Ontario port of entry if you aren't part of a restrictive program like a provincial nominee program that states otherwise. Whatever you do, just follow the rules of the program you're a part of.

If you so happen to be in Ontario when you give birth with an Alberta health card, so be it. The policy should cover it. And if you intend on staying in Ontario, I'd skip trying to 'short land' somewhere else and just stay in Ontario long enough to get things established. For example, even if you 'short land' and return to your home country, establish a Canadian bank account, have an address in Ontario (rent a mailbox, use a friend or family member address, anything to establish residency), get a Canadian cell phone and direct the bill there. Then when you return in 3 months you'll have coverage since 3 months will have passed since you established your Canadian residency.

Just keep in mind, once you are a Canadian PR, you have rights of residency anywhere. If you settle in BC or Alberta or Manitoba and can't find work/get settled, then you move to Toronto for its larger job market and better opportunity, there's nothing fraudulent about it. You have the right to move anywhere in the country. There is no 'fraud' in this, it is your right.

I would say just make sure your intent is correct. If you land in Alberta, go back there and see if you can give it a shot. Have your baby in Alberta. If after a few months you can't find work or don't like it, then move to Toronto at a later date. I don't think landing in a province just to get a health card is worth the hassle quite frankly, at that point I'd say maybe buy a private health plan and see if it'd cover your visit should you give birth within those 3 months.

Whatever you do, best of luck!

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Bincanada said:
I doubt anything would come of it, a health agency would have to pursue a case and find probable cause that you did something... They aren't going to do that. Fraud is a strong word, I'd probably stay away from saying that.

If you so happen to be in Ontario when you give birth with an Alberta health card, so be it. The policy should cover it. And if you intend on staying in Ontario, I'd skip trying to 'short land' somewhere else and just stay in Ontario long enough to get things established. For example, even if you 'short land' and return to your home country, establish a Canadian bank account, have an address in Ontario (rent a mailbox, use a friend or family member address, anything to establish residency), get a Canadian cell phone and direct the bill there. Then when you return in 3 months you'll have coverage since 3 months will have passed since you established your Canadian residency.

Once again, this is pretty poor advice. What you are advising the poster to do is clearly fraud, no matter how you try to spin in. Read the eligibility requirements for AB healthcare here: http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html. It clearly says that you are not eligible unless you plan to make AB your home, and you are committed to being physically present in AB for 183 days per year. Similarly, you advised the poster to open a bank account and get a mailbox to establish residency in ON to qualify for healthcare without being in the country. Again, this is clearly fraud as you MUST be physically present in Ontario to qualify (http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_eligibility.aspx)

If anyone tries this approach, they are putting themselves at risk of receiving a hefty bill from the provincial government at some point in the future.

The issue here is not mobility rights across Canada. As you correctly said, PR's can move around the country. however, they can not fraudulently obtain healthcare in one province that doesn't have any waiting periods, and then try to use that in another province with waiting periods.

Remember, no matter how clever you think you are, chances are that other people have already tried to do whatever you are planning, and the government is well aware of it.

Slowlybtsurely

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bincanada said:

My best advice to you is to just focus on gaining health insurance in the province you intend on settling in. If you land in Alberta first, and if Alberta has a policy of providing a health card on day 1, then take it. That's where you legally and rightfully landed. However, if you don't intend on living in Alberta, just fly/travel to an Ontario port of entry if you aren't part of a restrictive program like a provincial nominee program that states otherwise. Whatever you do, just follow the rules of the program you're a part of.

Just keep in mind, once you are a Canadian PR, you have rights of residency anywhere. If you settle in BC or Alberta or Manitoba and can't find work/get settled, then you move to Toronto for its larger job market and better opportunity, there's nothing fraudulent about it. You have the right to move anywhere in the country. There is no 'fraud' in this, it is your right.

I would say just make sure your intent is correct. If you land in Alberta, go back there and see if you can give it a shot. Have your baby in Alberta. If after a few months you can't find work or don't like it, then move to Toronto at a later date. I don't think landing in a province just to get a health card is worth the hassle quite frankly, at that point I'd say maybe buy a private health plan and see if it'd cover your visit should you give birth within those 3 months.

Whatever you do, best of luck!
Well explained! Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.

Is the bolded really possible? Thought it will be some sort of fraud, since one will not be physically resident in Ontario within those three months.

Not looking to move immediately after PR. Will prolly do a short landing first, then go a few months later to have my baby. Come back to home country, before finally relocating.

Bincanada

May 19, 2015
Slowlybtsurely said:
Well explained! Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.

Is the bolded really possible? Thought it will be some sort of fraud, since one will not be physically resident in Ontario within those three months.

Not looking to move immediately after PR. Will prolly do a short landing first, then go a few months later to have my baby. Come back to home country, before finally relocating.
It sounds like your priority is to have your baby in Canada so that it is a native born citizen upon birth. There is nothing wrong with this, no one will ask you why. This is quite frankly expected: you want to be Canadian, you have/are becoming one, your children should be native born citizens and this is not a problem.

Just relax, there's no fraud involved here. You are establishing Canadian residency. Just because you returned to your home country to finish up business, that is absolutely normal. You are still establishing Canadian residency, and if you intend on living in Ontario your intent is your intent. There is no real legal recognition of 'short landing', because when you land, you land. Even if you only stay for a few days and go back to the country you came from to finish business/family visitations, etc... In the eyes of the law, your landing only happens once. You are landed and then traveling as a Canadian Permanent Resident. And when you land in Ontario and establish yourself over those first few days, then travel again, you are still an Ontario resident who just happens to be traveling away from your new home. You don't forfeit your Ontario residence just because you went to visit family and finish business in the country you are leaving.

And again, just relax! Things will be just fine. :)

Just be honest with the officers you land with. They will ask you if you intend on staying or returning temporarily. Just be honest, tell them you're landing, staying several days, returning to your home country to finish business, then will return at a later date.

Honesty is key... Always be honest. You have zero reason to lie about anything you plan on doing.

FWIW, health insurance and obtaining a health card is completely separate and unrelated to your actual landing process. It is a provincial affair and the services you receive will have to be settled up with the hospital you give birth in if you haven't obtained the public health card as of yet. My biggest concern would be finding a private policy you think would cover the birth of a baby. As I came from the US, all I can say is shop around for health insurance! Private health insurance isn't fun to deal with, but just ensure you purchase a policy that would pay for the birth of a child, even if it costs more for that 3 month period.