+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

health insurance for new permanent resident

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Hi everyone, my wife's PR application was recently approved and she will be coming to Canada in the summer. We are pretty excited and trying to hammer out all the details before she comes.

One of the most important things on our mind, especially in this strange new covid world, is what kind of health insurance can she expect to receive. Now I'm no expert on the subject, in fact I'm a born and raised 35 year old Canadian citizen and i'm not even sure what type of health care stuff I'm entitled to! Knock on wood, I'm fortunate to never have had any health issues and I'm somewhat oblivious to this aspect of Canadian life.

From my understanding she will be entitled to the same health care any citizen is entitled to, but does that mean things like simple trip to the doctor's office all the way up to necessary surgeries? Prescription medicine? And I also saw somewhere that new permanent residents are only entitled to these benefits after 3 months, so best to pay for health insurance through something such as Blue Cross for the time being. Any suggestions on which companies cover a broad range of affordable health insurance?

Thanks!

Reactions: Fang_89

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, my wife's PR application was recently approved and she will be coming to Canada in the summer. We are pretty excited and trying to hammer out all the details before she comes.

One of the most important things on our mind, especially in this strange new covid world, is what kind of health insurance can she expect to receive. Now I'm no expert on the subject, in fact I'm a born and raised 35 year old Canadian citizen and i'm not even sure what type of health care stuff I'm entitled to! Knock on wood, I'm fortunate to never have had any health issues and I'm somewhat oblivious to this aspect of Canadian life.

From my understanding she will be entitled to the same health care any citizen is entitled to, but does that mean things like simple trip to the doctor's office all the way up to necessary surgeries? Prescription medicine? And I also saw somewhere that new permanent residents are only entitled to these benefits after 3 months, so best to pay for health insurance through something such as Blue Cross for the time being. Any suggestions on which companies cover a broad range of affordable health insurance?

Thanks!
What province do you live in?

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
It all depends on the province though generally on what your expectations are versus what is provided.

One of the great things about Canada is critical care is generally provided though you might want to look into getting a family doctor if this matters to you.

If you will land a province with a 3 month wait you would probably be best advised to purchase health coverage for your PR. (And for you if you were returning to a province with a wait period)

Probably a good idea to research it all here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/new-life-canada/health-care-card.html

Reactions: gtd1986

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
I am from Ontario, definitely a 3 month wait there though currently it's waived apparently due to covid. (Sorry for that didn't know it was altered)

Last edited:

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
This is listed as a minimum requirement among others.

Does this mean you won't qualify if we return until after this happens or can you apply right away upon landing (and in my case returning) and then this would apply to keep your new coverage.

Just wanted to be clear as unless one should just assume that since the coverage is immediate and otherwise wouldn't make sense.

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is listed as a minimum requirement among others.

Does this mean you won't qualify if we return until after this happens or can you apply right away upon landing (and in my case returning) and then this would apply to keep your new coverage.

Just wanted to be clear as unless one should just assume that since the coverage is immediate and otherwise wouldn't make sense.

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
How long have you been out of Ontario?

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
I live in Manila for the last 7-8 years or so before that was Canadian expat. My OHIP expired probably back in 2015 or so I would say.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I live in Manila for the last 7-8 years or so before that was Canadian expat. My OHIP expired probably back in 2015 or so I would say.
It will be the same for both you and your spouse, waiting period is waived at this time, otherwise both you and your spouse would have been subject to the 3 month wait.. Once you land go to a Service Ontario office with your application, processing is quick, you will get a temp document until your card arrives. I was an expat returning a year ago with my spouse. All went well.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If the 3 month wait has returned would purchase emergency medical insurance. Would suggest reading 5hrough what is covered under OHIP because there are many things from dental care, glasses and eye exams, prescriptions for adults, outpatient physiotherapy, etc. that are not covered. There are also residency obligation associated with retaining your medical coverage. It is not only about the expiry date on your health card.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks folks.

Upon arrival/landing this will be a priority. Would the letter of support from my brother be good enough since we will be staying there probably for a month or two be sufficient or is there something better to show proof of residence when first applying for these things.

I still have a valid Canadian's driver's license that I suppose I will need to update to my "current" address as well so not sure if i can do this at the same time.

Thanks