+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health card after left Canada and enter with just visa

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you for your reply.
I got my work permit now and I’m outside Canada. Is there a chance to extend my Ohip and get EI as well if I enter Canada now ??
You quit your job , you’d need to go ahead and apply and see if it’s approved. Working two years is irrelevant. It’s the preceding qualifying period from the day you apply for benefits is where they look to see if you have worked enough hours to qualify , and the reason you’re no longer working . In some cases , quitting your job nullifies you from being eligible for any EI regular or special benefits. It’s ALL about HOURS worked and reason for no longer working

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You quit your job , you’d need to go ahead and apply and see if it’s approved. Working two years is irrelevant. It’s the preceding qualifying period from the day you apply for benefits is where they look to see if you have worked enough hours to qualify , and the reason you’re no longer working . In some cases , quitting your job nullifies you from being eligible for any EI regular or special benefits. It’s ALL about HOURS worked and reason for no longer working

Also given they may have been away for 4 months and if they have no plans of returning to work it may not be possible to qualify for EI if they left work early in pregnancy. Would never be possible to meet the hours required to qualify. We are missing some key information. Also whether spouse is currently working or studying in order to qualify for Ohip.

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
Will you be returning to work full-time? When did you leave in April? How far into your pregnancy did you stop working and did you quit or were you on short term disability? If you have a spouse or common law partner in Canada what is their status in Canada?
I’m planning to return in a month or two and find a job before that. But not sure. Yes, I resigned my job in beginning of April, was my initial period of pregnancy. I did not apply for short term disability. My spouse is not in Canada.

thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I’m planning to return in a month or two and find a job before that. But not sure. Yes, I resigned my job in beginning of April, was my initial period of pregnancy. I did not apply for short term disability. My spouse is not in Canada.

thanks
Finding a job while heavily pregnant can be very difficult. You will have to calculate the amount of hours to see if you could even qualify for EI maternity leave. Based on looking again 3 month wait period has not returned but could return at any point. You and your child would have to commit to meeting the OHIP residency requirement to qualify for OHIP as well. If you have a partner do they have a visa to enter Canada? Do you have housing for the next year since housing is very difficult to find these days especially if you are unemployed or about to go on Maternity leave so would have reduced income very soon.

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
Finding a job while heavily pregnant can be very difficult. You will have to calculate the amount of hours to see if you could even qualify for EI maternity leave. Based on looking again 3 month wait period has not returned but could return at any point. You and your child would have to commit to meeting the OHIP residency requirement to qualify for OHIP as well. If you have a partner do they have a visa to enter Canada? Do you have housing for the next year since housing is very difficult to find these days especially if you are unemployed or about to go on Maternity leave so would have reduced income very soon.
If I meet the 3 months requirement is there a chance I can get the Ohip to use for my delivery in Canada without job. I understand I need a job to get Ohip extended, but have you seen any exceptions considering my situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If I meet the 3 months requirement is there a chance I can get the Ohip to use for my delivery in Canada without job. I understand I need a job to get Ohip extended, but have you seen any exceptions considering my situation.
The 3 month doesn’t seem to have returned yet based on what I have read and some sites seem to have been changed to confirm this since when I looked around a month ago it it wasn’t 100% clear. The 3 month wait could return at any day so something to look up closer to your departure date if you do return to Canada.. How long have you been receiving OHIP and how much time are you planning on being away from Canada because whether you met the residency requirement to receive OHIP may also be a factor. Are you able to commit to living in Ontario for 5 out of 6 months, 6 months out of the year and make Ontario your permanent home if you do qualify for OHIP and it is viewed as a new application not an extension of the coverage that ended? If not a new application you would need to be in Ontario for 5 months out of the year for all years after your first year having OHIP. You would have already had many months without being in Ontario this year so in this situation you’d need to be in Ontario for many months without leaving to meet the 5 months of residency per year. Will your baby be able to meet the requirement to be in Canada for the first 5 out of 6 months of their life and 6 months out of the first year? While filling out the OHIP application in the hospital after birth you have to acknowledge that your plans take into account the ability to meet the OHIP residency requirements. Given that your husband is abroad I assume you may be considering returning to a India after the birth which would not be possible for many months in order to be compliant with the OHIP residency requirements. Very tough to say whether you’d be able to get OHIP without needing proof of employment. You haven’t remained in Canada while applying to extend your status and you aren’t applying to try and have continuous coverage from when your OHIP expired. You are applying after being abroad for months so OHIP/Service Ontario may be more likely to verify that you are actually working when applying In your circumstances. Would suggest you contact OHIP by email You should include your work history in Canada and that you resigned from your job and left for India in April and explain your immigration situation. You will need to include details of time spent outside of Canada and confirm your plans will take into account being compliant with the OHIP residency requirements. Having a detailed explanation of your situation and written proof of whether you qualify for OHIP or not without proof of full-time employment should help you determine whether it makes sense to return to Ontario to have a baby. Having written proof may also help if you run into inconsistencies between employees when actually applying for OHIP in Canada.

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
The 3 month doesn’t seem to have returned yet based on what I have read and some sites seem to have been changed to confirm this since when I looked around a month ago it it wasn’t 100% clear. The 3 month wait could return at any day so something to look up closer to your departure date if you do return to Canada.. How long have you been receiving OHIP and how much time are you planning on being away from Canada because whether you met the residency requirement to receive OHIP may also be a factor. Are you able to commit to living in Ontario for 5 out of 6 months, 6 months out of the year and make Ontario your permanent home if you do qualify for OHIP and it is viewed as a new application not an extension of the coverage that ended? If not a new application you would need to be in Ontario for 5 months out of the year for all years after your first year having OHIP. You would have already had many months without being in Ontario this year so in this situation you’d need to be in Ontario for many months without leaving to meet the 5 months of residency per year. Will your baby be able to meet the requirement to be in Canada for the first 5 out of 6 months of their life and 6 months out of the first year? While filling out the OHIP application in the hospital after birth you have to acknowledge that your plans take into account the ability to meet the OHIP residency requirements. Given that your husband is abroad I assume you may be considering returning to a India after the birth which would not be possible for many months in order to be compliant with the OHIP residency requirements. Very tough to say whether you’d be able to get OHIP without needing proof of employment. You haven’t remained in Canada while applying to extend your status and you aren’t applying to try and have continuous coverage from when your OHIP expired. You are applying after being abroad for months so OHIP/Service Ontario may be more likely to verify that you are actually working when applying In your circumstances. Would suggest you contact OHIP by email You should include your work history in Canada and that you resigned from your job and left for India in April and explain your immigration situation. You will need to include details of time spent outside of Canada and confirm your plans will take into account being compliant with the OHIP residency requirements. Having a detailed explanation of your situation and written proof of whether you qualify for OHIP or not without proof of full-time employment should help you determine whether it makes sense to return to Ontario to have a baby. Having written proof may also help if you run into inconsistencies between employees when actually applying for OHIP in Canada.
Thank you for you detailed answer. I will send and email to Ohip and get update.

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
@canuck78 , I couldn’t find the correct email address for Ohip. The eligibility says that I can be out of Canada for 212 days in a year to continue my Ohip. If I come now to Canada it will not be more that 212 days . But the thing is, my Ohip expired in April and I need to renew it without a work. Is there a possibility that the Ohip department approve my health card renewal without a job considering my pregnancy?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
@canuck78 , I couldn’t find the correct email address for Ohip. The eligibility says that I can be out of Canada for 212 days in a year to continue my Ohip. If I come now to Canada it will not be more that 212 days . But the thing is, my Ohip expired in April and I need to renew it without a work. Is there a possibility that the Ohip department approve my health card renewal without a job considering my pregnancy?
The Ministry will not make an exception due to pregnancy.
You want to ensure you have the funds available, since some hospitals want the money / deposit up front

Reactions: YVR123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you need to be a PR in order to get OHIP without work and live there longer than 212 days.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You are not yet a PR. So that doesn't apply to your case. Either you being employed full time (or have 6 month+ contract) as a foreworker.
Being pregnant will NOT make you a special case to grant OHIP.