+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health card after left Canada and enter with just visa

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
Hi All,
I was working in Canada till April 2023 and came to India due to my pregnancy situation. I have applied for bowp and added my husband in PR application.
I have visitor visa currently to enter Canada, in this situation can I apply for ohip extension if I enter Canada or I need to wait until I get my PR since I’m not working.

thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,
I was working in Canada till April 2023 and came to India due to my pregnancy situation. I have applied for bowp and added my husband in PR application.
I have visitor visa currently to enter Canada, in this situation can I apply for ohip extension if I enter Canada or I need to wait until I get my PR since I’m not working.

thank you
You need to be working to extend OHIP.

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
Is this the same case with PR as well? If I land as a PR can I get OHIP immediately without job ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is this the same case with PR as well? If I land as a PR can I get OHIP immediately without job ?
Once you are a PR, you can get OHIP without working.

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
Thank you.
Can I get employee insurance with my pregnancy situation or newborn in Canada since I worked till April ? Would I be eligible for any Benefit?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Why did you leave your position ?
Hours worked ? You haven’t given enough information on your situation

Delaying your benefits application if you maybe eligible can affect and or disqualify you in getting these benefits

The qualifying period is the shorter of:

the 52-week period immediately before the start date of your EI period, or
the period since the start of a previous EI benefit period, if that benefit period started during the last 52 weeks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you.
Can I get employee insurance with my pregnancy situation or newborn in Canada since I worked till April ? Would I be eligible for any Benefit?
Are you PR? If not what is your status? When did you have the baby? Did you have the baby in Canada? Did you quit your job? Are you in Canada? Because in another thread, you just asked about having newborn in India and applying for infant’s PR.

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
I’m not a PR yet, application is in process. Im exploring the options . I applied for bowp and came to India. I did not give birth yet.
Thanks

Are you PR? If not what is your status? When did you have the baby? Did you have the baby in Canada? Did you quit your job? Are you in Canada? Because in another thread, you just asked about having newborn in India and applying for infant’s PR.

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
Why did you leave your position ?
Hours worked ? You haven’t given enough information on your situation

Delaying your benefits application if you maybe eligible can affect and or disqualify you in getting these benefits

The qualifying period is the shorter of:

the 52-week period immediately before the start date of your EI period, or
the period since the start of a previous EI benefit period, if that benefit period started during the last 52 weeks
Worked almost 2 years.

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
How long have you have OHIP and how long will you be out of Ontario? When do you expect to gain PR? Did you quit your job?
My Ohip is expired in April. I quit my job, I’m expecting PR in two or three months and land in Canada immediately. I applied for bowp as well. I will be out of Ontario for 5 to 6 months until I get my PR.

I saw the eligibility for Ohip , it says 153 days in last 12 months if I land in Canada by September I would be fulfilling this eligibility. But I’m not sure if there are any other requirements.

I want to know if there are chances to get EI considering the pregnancy .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My Ohip is expired in April. I quit my job, I’m expecting PR in two or three months and land in Canada immediately. I applied for bowp as well. I will be out of Ontario for 5 to 6 months until I get my PR.

I saw the eligibility for Ohip , it says 153 days in last 12 months if I land in Canada by September I would be fulfilling this eligibility. But I’m not sure if there are any other requirements.

The residency requirement only qualifies for the period when you qualify for OHIP. The residency requirement will need to be met when you return to Ontario. You will need to reapply for OHIP and meet the residency requirements for new OHIP applicants which is being in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and 6 out of 13 months plus making Ontario your permanent home. The 3 month waiting period may have returned by then. If you quit your job then your ability to qualify for EI is impacted. I believe @Copingwithlife previously worked in the EI offices so could provide more information. Why did you apply for BOWP if you are outside of Canada?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Your case is extremely complicated. What I recommend is that you submit a claim asap. It’ll more than likely be sent up the decision tree to be adjudicated . You MUST remember, that the hours you work to be qualified for a EI benefit is ONLY in the preceding 52 week qualifying period from when you apply . You could have worked in a place for DECADES. That’s irrelevant. It’s the 52 weeks PRIOR. Sounds like by the time you get back ,get PR you’ll have been gone quite awhile and you’ll more than likely have zero hours in that window.
I’ve seen EI claims denied for someone short 30 minutes. And there’s no appeal for that. Required hours are legislated .

Make a claim , call EI. They’ll add the notes to your file & send it to be adjudicated. FYI - Just the FACTS are needed . Dates etc . Have it READY when you call. Nothing makes a EI call centre agents eyes bleed more than when someone calls and are NOT prepared.
Don’t be that caller.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

Aishsbs

Jun 8, 2023
Your case is extremely complicated. What I recommend is that you submit a claim asap. It’ll more than likely be sent up the decision tree to be adjudicated . You MUST remember, that the hours you work to be qualified for a EI benefit is ONLY in the preceding 52 week qualifying period from when you apply . You could have worked in a place for DECADES. That’s irrelevant. It’s the 52 weeks PRIOR. Sounds like by the time you get back ,get PR you’ll have been gone quite awhile and you’ll more than likely have zero hours in that window.
I’ve seen EI claims denied for someone short 30 minutes. And there’s no appeal for that. Required hours are legislated .

Make a claim , call EI. They’ll add the notes to your file & send it to be adjudicated. FYI - Just the FACTS are needed . Dates etc . Have it READY when you call. Nothing makes a EI call centre agents eyes bleed more than when someone calls and are NOT prepared.
Don’t be that caller.
Thank you for your reply.
I got my work permit now and I’m outside Canada. Is there a chance to extend my Ohip and get EI as well if I enter Canada now ??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply.
I got my work permit now and I’m outside Canada. Is there a chance to extend my Ohip and get EI as well if I enter Canada now ??
Will you be returning to work full-time? When did you leave in April? How far into your pregnancy did you stop working and did you quit or were you on short term disability? If you have a spouse or common law partner in Canada what is their status in Canada?