+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having PR from both Canada and Australia

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That would be a strategy worth considering if citizenships in both countries really are your goal, but such a plan would carry a risk if somehow, your Canadian citizenship application takes much longer than expected.

In the event that everything goes smoothly, you should budget a one year of citizenship processing times after submitting your application, so that would be 4 years roughly after you reside in Canada.

Also, for Australian citizenship application, you need to reside in Australia for 4 years as well, and the processing times also take about a year.

So after moving back to Australia (presumably as a Canadian citizen), then you would have to stay in the country without leaving for two years to renew your visa, then reside two extra years before you can apply for AUS citizenship.

Needless to say, this would be about 9 to 10 years in the future if you are really serious about pursuing this (including two years in Australia where you cannot leave the country) :)

The reason why I brought this up is because I personally know somebody who is in such situation. He became a Canadian citizen, then move to Australia as a PR (after securing an Australian job)

I would aim for one country unless a job opportunity comes up. Once you adjust to one country you will have to move.

The weather isn't great in Toronto from December to March but it can be sunny and cold. The weather is very reasonable compared to other cities in Canada. In terms of sponsoring parents it will take more than 3 years because taxable income from previous years is used and it is also a lottery. Just wanted to make sure you were aware that sponsoring parents doesn't have an exact time frame.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thank you for pointing out that. It should be considered in case of trying to maintaining the PRs, even getting citizenships of both country.
In case of aiming that, first we can live in CA for full 3 years, apply for the citizenship, gain it -let's say the citizenship procedure will take 1 year more, then move to AUS in the 4th year of the visa. Then we can gain AUS citizenship in 4 years as well.
I have no idea what would I do with both CA & AU passports though:)
Nooo this won't work! During citizenship interview they might ask you to give up any other permanent residency that you have. If you go through this forum, you'll notice that people were asked to give up US green cards during their citizenship process. By having permanent residency of another country, you're making it pretty obvious that your goal is to get Canadian citizenship for convenience without true intent to reside in Canada. They hate that!!!

Another angle for that would be that it is not easy moving families just like that. You'll probably learn this when you make a move to one of the country. It's really hard to start everything from scratch.. leaving established job and trying for new one freshly, taking kids out of school and putting in completely different system, adjusting to new rules, selling house, leaving friends circle.. it'll be real pain to do all of that!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I would aim for one country unless a job opportunity comes up. Once you adjust to one country you will have to move.

The weather isn't great in Toronto from December to March but it can be sunny and cold. The weather is very reasonable compared to other cities in Canada. In terms of sponsoring parents it will take more than 3 years because taxable income from previous years is used and it is also a lottery. Just wanted to make sure you were aware that sponsoring parents doesn't have an exact time frame.
Super visa just requires one year of income. That's an excellent option while waiting for PR sponsorship. I presume visitor visa too is much easier to obtain to obtain for Canada.. at least people from India get ten years multiple entry visa due to the agreement that India has with Canada. Whereas to Australia, I believe every visit needs an application. No super visa equivalent too.

Reactions: Jakev and aydogan

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Come across this in Quora.. not sure how serious is water problem there. I'd prefer snow any day than living with fear of water scarcity.

Given the current population trends, which country will reach overpopulation first, Australia or Canada?
Canada has an abundance of something that Australia does not have, and that is virtually unlimited fresh water. While both have large more or less uninhabited areas, most of those areas in Australia are semi-arid or arid.

We can survive in extreme weather conditions but to exist, we must have water. Australian water supplies are already under severe stress at least partly because of the rapid increase in population . Water restrictions are common. Canada will always be able to support a far greater population than Australia ever will.

Australia is already overpopulated because we have too few resources being distributed between too many people.

Reactions: aydogan

aydogan

Nov 1, 2017
Nooo this won't work! During citizenship interview they might ask you to give up any other permanent residency that you have. If you go through this forum, you'll notice that people were asked to give up US green cards during their citizenship process. By having permanent residency of another country, you're making it pretty obvious that your goal is to get Canadian citizenship for convenience without true intent to reside in Canada. They hate that!!!

Another angle for that would be that it is not easy moving families just like that. You'll probably learn this when you make a move to one of the country. It's really hard to start everything from scratch.. leaving established job and trying for new one freshly, taking kids out of school and putting in completely different system, adjusting to new rules, selling house, leaving friends circle.. it'll be real pain to do all of that!
Ah, thank you for this info. Eventhough I was just joking about getting 2 citizenships, it's good to know that's not possible to remain your PR status from any other country when you apply for citizenship.
You've been really helpful DEEPCUR, I really appreciate it. :)

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you go through this forum, you'll notice that people were asked to give up US green cards during their citizenship process.
I know CBSA and CBP might raise issues during frequent USA-Canada border crossing for holders of Canadian PR and USA GC holders but considering that both USA and Canada recognize dual-citizenship, I find it hard to believe that CIC will ask Canadian PR holders to surrender US green cards.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I know CBSA and CBP might raise issues during frequent USA-Canada border crossing for holders of Canadian PR and USA GC holders but considering that both USA and Canada recognize dual-citizenship, I find it hard to believe that CIC will ask Canadian PR holders to surrender US green cards.
I believe this is a problem only if you have green card at the time of citizenship interview. Nobody cares if you get one after oath.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Green cards require you to declare intent to reside in the United States, which would contradict your intent to reside in Canada after being granted citizenship. This would be an issue if you had to declare intent to reside such as under Bill C-24.

However, this intent to reside clause has been removed from citizenship application after C-6 (though who knows what would happen to the requirements 4 years from now), so i don't believe they would care too much about the fact that OP too would be an Australian PR (provided he can prove all his days in Canada and meets all of the other requirements).

Besides, I'm not aware of such intent to reside requirement of Australian PR (they do have one for Australian citizenship, but not PR), though I might be mistaken.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Green cards require you to declare intent to reside in the United States, which would contradict your intent to reside in Canada after being granted citizenship. This would be an issue if you had to declare intent to reside such as under Bill C-24.

However, this intent to reside clause has been removed from citizenship application after C-6 (though who knows what would happen to the requirements 4 years from now), so i don't believe they would care too much about the fact that OP too would be an Australian PR (provided he can prove all his days in Canada and meets all of the other requirements).

Besides, I'm not aware of such intent to reside requirement of Australian PR (they do have one for Australian citizenship, but not PR), though I might be mistaken.

So what I was going through a different forum on this topic..so they may not ask one to give up green card directly as there is no such law for that. They might issue RQ if they see that if the person is GC holder at the time of applying citizenship. This will delay the process by one year from the usual time. If the person still has GC during interview, they will refer him to immigration judge. Seeing the judge can take 3-4 years. Or if they got GC after applying for citizenship, they may issue RQ during interview.

And one is required to meet PR RO even when the citizenship application is in process which is not possible if they move to another country thereby effectively screwing the prospects of keeping another country's permanent residence alive.

No matter it is C6 or C24, there are many complaints on Canadian citizenship being misused as citizenship of convenience without true intentions to reside for many. CIC will definitely have ways to prolong citizenship process for several years under any kind of law.

Honestly, I really don't see any point in fighting with CIC just for Australian PR!! It's not that worth. The fight is really worth if it's for green card!!

Reactions: aydogan

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
They might issue RQ if they see that if the person is GC holder at the time of applying citizenship. This will delay the process by one year from the usual time. If the person still has GC during interview, they will refer him to immigration judge. Seeing the judge can take 3-4 years. Or if they got GC after applying for citizenship, they may issue RQ during interview.
I'm not sure if this info is recent, that was the case in older times. Citizenship applications with RQ are now still processed within the average timeline posted on CIC website.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I'm not sure if this info is recent, that was the case in older times. Citizenship applications with RQ are now still processed within the average timeline posted on CIC website.
I don't have much idea about the citizenship process as I haven't been there.. but having another immigrant or dual intent visa (like h1b) will definitely delay the process for anyone.

Amrith

Dec 24, 2017
Actually we are really in a difficult position, the more we search for it, the more we become in two minds about the country choice. :(
One day I wake up with the decision of AU, but the next day I decide CA is better option for us. Having a 3 years old kid is making this much more complicated as well.
I do not know how to proceed, how and what to search more...
I am in your same position bro! AU and CA PR and one kid 4 years, living on H1b in America!