+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent reside

krilee

Jul 2, 2018
Hi,

I finally have 1 year of Canadian experience and just applied for Express Entry. This question was very confusing though: Have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa?

My working history here is:

My first work permit was an open permit - Working holiday and I accumulated 9 months of Canadian experience
6.5 months with an agency working for company xyz
2.5 months working for company xyz
My second work permit was a closed permit - Young Professional (YP)
7 months with company xyz

Technically I only worked 7 months on the YP, but all 16 months I have been working for the same company (6.5 of these through an agency)
I responded "Yes" to the question - I got invited, but doubting my response now as I read to much about it online. Should I decline my invitation or just explain it in a personal statement? It shouldn't have an affect on my CRS - as I have 1 year of Canadian experience.

Thank you in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,

I finally have 1 year of Canadian experience and just applied for Express Entry. This question was very confusing though: Have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa?

My working history here is:

My first work permit was an open permit - Working holiday and I accumulated 9 months of Canadian experience
6.5 months with an agency working for company xyz
2.5 months working for company xyz
My second work permit was a closed permit - Young Professional (YP)
7 months with company xyz

Technically I only worked 7 months on the YP, but all 16 months I have been working for the same company (6.5 of these through an agency)
I responded "Yes" to the question - I got invited, but doubting my response now as I read to much about it online. Should I decline my invitation or just explain it in a personal statement? It shouldn't have an affect on my CRS - as I have 1 year of Canadian experience.

All of that, and you didn´t actually say anything about the offer of future employment... Did you have a written offer of future employment?

krilee

Jul 2, 2018
Hi, I am currently in Canada and still working for that company. The offer is tied to the duration of my current visa, which is for a year. I came here in February 2019, and got invited in August. Technically I only have another 6 months and not a year - I am concerned as it says "one year after we invite you for PR"

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi, I am currently in Canada and still working for that company. The offer is tied to the duration of my current visa, which is for a year. I came here in February 2019, and got invited in August. Technically I only have another 6 months and not a year - I am concerned as it says "one year after we invite you for PR"
Well, you should be concerned, as this does not meet the requirement of having a valid future job offer.

A current job is not an offer of future employment. You need to have a written job offer from the same employer, offering you full-time skilled employment for at least one year (or "permanent" employment) AFTER you obtain permanent resident status. Otherwise, you have to answer the question "No," and you will not get points for having a valid job offer.

Mind you, if you do not need the points, just answer No and don´t worry about it. It is not mandatory.

krilee

Jul 2, 2018
Well, you should be concerned, as this does not meet the requirement of having a valid future job offer.

A current job is not an offer of future employment. You need to have a written job offer from the same employer, offering you full-time skilled employment for at least one year (or "permanent" employment) AFTER you obtain permanent resident status. Otherwise, you have to answer the question "No," and you will not get points for having a valid job offer.

Mind you, if you do not need the points, just answer No and don´t worry about it. It is not mandatory.
Thank you for your response! Is that the question that gave me an extra 50 points for CRS – Additional – Arranged Employment? If it is, than I would have to decline my invitation and my CRS would go from 477 to 427.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you for your response! Is that the question that gave me an extra 50 points for CRS – Additional – Arranged Employment? If it is, than I would have to decline my invitation and my CRS would go from 477 to 427.
Well, then... ask your employer for a letter : )

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You either need to get a valid job offer (a new letter from your employer, as suggested above), or decline the ITA. If you submit without a valid job offer your application will be rejected.

Reactions: jes_ON

krilee

Jul 2, 2018
You either need to get a valid job offer (a new letter from your employer, as suggested above), or decline the ITA. If you submit without a valid job offer your application will be rejected.
I found the following passage on that website:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html
if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
I am on a Young professional work permit, which is valid for one year and is a closed permit. This work permit allows me to work for the same employer, and the employer doesn't need an LMIA. But because it is just a one year visa, my employer gave me a temporary position with the same end date as the permit end date. I am wondering, whether there is any exception listed online, because obviously my contract does not fulfill the last point of the above passage "have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa"

Thankful for any advice!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I found the following passage on that website:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html
if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
I am on a Young professional work permit, which is valid for one year and is a closed permit. This work permit allows me to work for the same employer, and the employer doesn't need an LMIA. But because it is just a one year visa, my employer gave me a temporary position with the same end date as the permit end date. I am wondering, whether there is any exception listed online, because obviously my contract does not fulfill the last point of the above passage "have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa"

Thankful for any advice!
No, there's no exception. Your job offer isn't valid and won't get the 50 points.

Anonymous456

Aug 27, 2019
Hi I am working in Canada for more than 3 year for an employer and I have an assignment letter from the sam employer mentioning my start date(which was 3 year back) and assignment end date (which is say after 1.5 year).
Eg from Assignment start date= 2016 and Assignment end date Feb-2021.
Technically I have all the requirement need to get 50
1: Already working for more than 1 year
2: My employer is LMAI exempt
3: NOC A
4: Full time employment 40hours/week
5: Assignment end date is after 1.5 year.(If i get ITA in August , I will get my PR in max 6 month). still I have an employment for more than 1 Year after I get PR.

Would these points are valid to get 50 points?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi I am working in Canada for more than 3 year for an employer and I have an assignment letter from the sam employer mentioning my start date(which was 3 year back) and assignment end date (which is say after 1.5 year).
Eg from Assignment start date= 2016 and Assignment end date Feb-2021.
Technically I have all the requirement need to get 50
1: Already working for more than 1 year
2: My employer is LMAI exempt
3: NOC A
4: Full time employment 40hours/week
5: Assignment end date is after 1.5 year.(If i get ITA in August , I will get my PR in max 6 month). still I have an employment for more than 1 Year after I get PR.

Would these points are valid to get 50 points?
No, you need a new letter that specifically states that your employer is going to keep you employed for a year after you get PR. The existing letter won't do.

It should be simple enough to get this letter - the job role, salary etc don't need to change.

Anonymous456

Aug 27, 2019
No, you need a new letter that specifically states that your employer is going to keep you employed for a year after you get PR. The existing letter won't do.

It should be simple enough to get this letter - the job role, salary, etc don't need to change.
Thanks for the response, .Definitely, it would be a separate letter mentioning the details. but as per the specification on cic website, you should have one year of employment and I am fulfilling the same. and they have not mentioned on the cic website your employer should mention "your employer is going to keep you employed for a year after you get PR". Have you come across any such situation where PR application get rejected because in the job letter it was not mentioned that.
"your employer is going to keep you employed for a year after you get PR" instead mentioned that Assignment End date with more than one-year future date. How confident you are that it will be rejected?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
It needs to show that your employer is aware that you are applying for PR and will continue to employ you. You cannot use an old offer of employment since there's no mention of your PR application in that letter.
---
It also must be made :

• if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks for the response, .Definitely, it would be a separate letter mentioning the details. but as per the specification on cic website, you should have one year of employment and I am fulfilling the same. and they have not mentioned on the cic website your employer should mention "your employer is going to keep you employed for a year after you get PR". Have you come across any such situation where PR application get rejected because in the job letter it was not mentioned that.
"your employer is going to keep you employed for a year after you get PR" instead mentioned that Assignment End date with more than one-year future date. How confident you are that it will be rejected?
Also, you cannot be certain that your PR will get approved in "max 6 months". It may take 12 months. Or 18. Or 2 years. That's why you need a letter that says you will have a job for one year after you get your PR, whenever that may be.

krilee

Jul 2, 2018
I have the closed work permit, that has an end date and the duration from Feb'19-Feb'20. If I would ask my employer to issue a letter that states, they will employ me at least for another year after I get my PR - I feel that it is a proof of discriminatory practice, based on my work status in Canada. Of course I want to get the extra 50 points, but would it place my employer in a very uncomfortable situation and possibly open up a way for legal dispute?

I believe a better way would not be to ask for a letter like this, but ask for a contract that states you have a permanent position and just agree with your employer that you will resign if PR doesn't go through.