Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
Havana
App. Filed.......
09-01-2018
AOR Received.
28-02-2018
Hey guys
If I have sponsored someone in the past (not cuban), and a few years later i'm now with Cuban and we are getting married next year....will my previous sponsorship have an effect on my future sponsorship?
Would you guys recommend maybe that I do it through a lawyer rather than on my own based on my previous sponsorship?

Thanks

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Hi

One of the forms in Family sponsorship will have a question related to previous sponsorship. Most of the questions you will have regarding answering questions can be answered from people on this forum. Using a lawyer is a personal preference however remember you will have to fill in the forms and gather the information anyway. It can become overwhelming at times. If you are organized and keeping information regarding your relationship now it will be easier to fill in the forms. What I suggest is that you print the forms and the pkgs related to Cuba , read it and make a decision on whether you need a lawyer. Lawyers doing the application are no quicker getting approved than you are.

jlg

Mar 3, 2016
Hi Everyone,

just wanted to share that my husband finally picked up his visa today :)

Application was filed and received in Canada on October 22nd 2015, it was transferred and received in Havana on December 30th 2015.

Interview was August 2nd 2016 and visa issued today November 9th 2016.

Our police check expired September 5th 2016 but they never asked for a new one. We were given interview because we were told we got married too fast lol. We met May 2015 and got married September 2015. Interview went well but we were still very worried because at interview we were told we will know the answer in 2 weeks to a month but didn't hear anything back. But all is good that ends good. I am glad that we can start our lives together.

Wishing good thoughts and quick and fast visas for all waiting.

Ap789

Feb 12, 2016
Halifax
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2016
AOR Received.
27-07-2016
File Transfer...
29-07-2016
Med's Done....
18-03-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2016
LANDED..........
November 21 2016
jlg said:
Hi Everyone,

just wanted to share that my husband finally picked up his visa today :)

Application was filed and received in Canada on October 22nd 2015, it was transferred and received in Havana on December 30th 2015.

Interview was August 2nd 2016 and visa issued today November 9th 2016.

Our police check expired September 5th 2016 but they never asked for a new one. We were given interview because we were told we got married too fast lol. We met May 2015 and got married September 2015. Interview went well but we were still very worried because at interview we were told we will know the answer in 2 weeks to a month but didn't hear anything back. But all is good that ends good. I am glad that we can start our lives together.

Wishing good thoughts and quick and fast visas for all waiting.

My
Husband picked up his visa today as well :)!!!

Ap789

Feb 12, 2016
Halifax
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2016
AOR Received.
27-07-2016
File Transfer...
29-07-2016
Med's Done....
18-03-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2016
LANDED..........
November 21 2016
jlg said:
Hahahaha that's awesome. Congratulations :)
You as well :)! It's such a exciting time !!! Can't wait till the 21

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
lienocka17 said:
Hey guys
If I have sponsored someone in the past (not cuban), and a few years later i'm now with Cuban and we are getting married next year....will my previous sponsorship have an effect on my future sponsorship?
Would you guys recommend maybe that I do it through a lawyer rather than on my own based on my previous sponsorship?

Thanks
Lienocka,
It depends on the circumstances. Did you fail to meet the terms of the sponsorship agreement? Specifically, did your previous partner collect government benefits? Otherwise, it's a short list of why you might be barred: violent/sexual criminal; on welfare or currently bankrupt; not paying court ordered alimony/child support; or were sponsored yourself within the last five years.

99.9% of the time immigration lawyers (which more frequently are paralegals) are not required. In this case, they wouldn't change any of the conditions. Are you on speaking terms with your ex?

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
jlg said:
Our police check expired September 5th 2016 but they never asked for a new one. We were given interview because we were told we got married too fast lol. We met May 2015 and got married September 2015.
Maybe it's an age thing? Or just the individual case workers. I met my wife in Jan 2014 and got married August 2014 with no interview. Is the cut off somewhere between 4-7 months?

Congrats to both all!

jlg

Mar 3, 2016
Yes maybe not really sure. My husband is 24 and I am 30. My parents didn't go for the wedding but they went after to visit his family. And thank you :)

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
YHYY said:
Question, what is the process when my husband is flying from Cuba. What does customs ask him? Anything we should know?
My wife and step-daughter came in October 2015. I'd already booked a flight to go down for Thanksgiving, so I came back with them.

You won't need it, but he should have with him a list of everything he's bring with him, plus your address and contact number.
You wait in the normal customs line, and when they ask "Purpose of Trip?" he'd tell them he's "landing in Canada to become a Permanent Resident". They'll sent him to another line (if it's at Pearson it's just off to the left). There is where he'll need to have his wallet sized photos. The questions are very straight forward and they can provide a Spanish interpreter if needed (but you'll have to wait longer). They'll give you a copy of your COPR.

Then you have the choice of signing up to get your SIN there or not. If there's a long line, you might as well just go to a Service Canada location (and you can help him there). Otherwise, it's 10-15 minutes (but you can sit while waiting).

We landed at 12:30 PM and left the airport at 3:00 PM.

Are you traveling with your family?
Have you been convicted of a serious crime in your home country? No.
How long do you plan to stay in Canada? Indefinitely.
How much money do you have with you?
Are you healthy? Yes.
Have you been to Canada before? Were you required to leave? No. No.
What are you bringing with you to Canada? Just personal possessions. Clothes and mementos.

Do you have any live animals or plants with you? No.
Do you have any firearms, ammunition or fireworks with you? No.
Do you have any meat or dairy products with you? No.
Do you have any fresh fruits or vegetables with you? No.
Do you have any items from endangered species? No.

Have you been to a farm in the past 72(?) hours? No.
Have you traveled to a country with Ebola or been in contact with someone who has? No.

P.S. You can fill out the Declaration Card and send it to him to print it out, if you think that part might be stressful.
English/French - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.pdf
Spanish/Other - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/ce311.pdf

If you are planning to bring any larger items at a future date, there is another form that you need.

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
Galano1213 said:
If he just got his passport I suggest he goes and gets the $25 cuc stamp on it as well this is a fee to keep his ration card and status and good for a year. He may be able to get a second one as well and that will make it good for 2 years.If he does not have the stamp they may ask for the fee at the airport( not positive ) on that. He just needs the papers that the embassy gave him when he gets to Canada he will be directed to an immigration officer and they will give his social insurance number They may ask where he will be living , address in Canada.I understand it is pretty quick. Hope this helps. Someone on here that has gone through the process may have more info.
This is Permiso de Residencia en el Exterior (PRE) which is now good for 24 months. It was 15 CUC when my wife did it.

To clarify, if a Cuban goes back to Cuba each 24 months, they maintain their residency, or else they can get a PRE to stay longer than 24 months to "maintain a marital union with a foreign citizen". Ley 302

https://huellasenelcamino.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/ultimas-actualizaciones-de-la-reforma-migratoria-en-cuba/

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
CMLR said:
I have a question. Does anyone know if a permanent resident of Canada who holds a Cuban passport can get into the USA without a visa or any other documents? I can't find it when trying to google it. thanks
Cuban PR of Canada need B-2 Tourist Visa to visit the US. I haven't heard of one being rejected, as if they wanted to immigrate, they just need to claim refugee status at the border. Processing times can be variable, so apply well in advance or have flexible travel arrangements.

lienocka17

Jul 24, 2016
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
Havana
App. Filed.......
09-01-2018
AOR Received.
28-02-2018
Mapleson said:
Lienocka,
It depends on the circumstances. Did you fail to meet the terms of the sponsorship agreement? Specifically, did your previous partner collect government benefits? Otherwise, it's a short list of why you might be barred: violent/sexual criminal; on welfare or currently bankrupt; not paying court ordered alimony/child support; or were sponsored yourself within the last five years.

99.9% of the time immigration lawyers (which more frequently are paralegals) are not required. In this case, they wouldn't change any of the conditions. Are you on speaking terms with your ex?
yes we ended up splitting and so I cancelled the common-law relationship status. No he did not collect gov benefits, or anything else from that list. Yes I am on speaking terms with my ex, and he is aware with my current situation - all is ok.
I am able to handle the paperwork, I am very organized. But I'm wondering whether a lawyer would be better to 'represent' me since this situation may look 'bad' to whoever gets my file. Maybe a lawyer would know the best option for me, a little lost...don't know..

jlg

Mar 3, 2016
lienocka17 said:
yes we ended up splitting and so I cancelled the common-law relationship status. No he did not collect gov benefits, or anything else from that list. Yes I am on speaking terms with my ex, and he is aware with my current situation - all is ok.
I am able to handle the paperwork, I am very organized. But I'm wondering whether a lawyer would be better to 'represent' me since this situation may look 'bad' to whoever gets my file. Maybe a lawyer would know the best option for me, a little lost...don't know..
From my experience I would only get a lawyer if you need help filing out the paperwork. Otherwise I would do it yourself. My lawyer didn't do anything else except filling out paperwork and submitting the application. In terms of advise, this forum has better advise than I received at times.

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
lienocka17 said:
If you feel more comfortable with a lawyer, then spend the money by all means. However, they don't have any special options. You complete form IMM1344E and it's Yes/No check boxes, and you're on the right side of all of them. On form IMM5481E you would make it as a "previous undertaking" as part of question 5.B)iii). However, this is a financial evaluation form, which is not applicable for spousal applications (they want the form in case you do other sponsorships in the future). Finally, IMM5540E questions 16 and 17 just ask for the factual information. It's not negative in and of itself, but combined with other factors might result in a "red flag" that requires an interview. The only negative side to that is it takes around 2-3 months longer than if not, but it's all evidence based, so you're situation would remain the same.

A lawyer is best if you are denied and appealing or if you have special circumstances, like a criminal record to be expunged (something you can do yourself, but a lawyer helps).

Does that help?