+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Havana, Cuba

ArGuOr

Dec 8, 2016
Hi everybody...
i am cuban, about to get married with my two year boyfriend from Canada. i've tried to read most of his thread and found very useful information. What i need to know is: Q1: if he applies for cuban permanent residence, can he sponsor me? Q2: having a teenage daughter i do not intend to spend too much time in Canada, so is easier/cheaper/faster for him to apply for a visitor/tourist visa for me?? Help! and thanks in advance.

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
If he becomes a cuban resident he cannot sponsor you to Canada as he will no longer be a resident in Canada. He can apply for a vistor visa for you if he is a resident of Canada but most likely it will not be granted as the rules are very strict for a vistor visa IE must have proof of ties to Cuba such as own your own home . Travel history and return ro Cuba , have a job, have a bank account ETC

ArGuOr

Dec 8, 2016
Galano1213 said:
If he becomes a cuban resident he cannot sponsor you to Canada as he will no longer be a resident in Canada. He can apply for a vistor visa for you if he is a resident of Canada but most likely it will not be granted as the rules are very strict for a vistor visa IE must have proof of ties to Cuba such as own your own home . Travel history and return ro Cuba , have a job, have a bank account ETC
Well, i have all that. Bank account, teen daughter, house and work. My own business in progress. Except for traveling somewhere else.... will that help?

thommyb

Aug 28, 2015
My husband has a conditional PR. He went to the United States under the cuban adjustment act. If i report him to immigration (long story), will this affect his status in the US, either now or a year from now when he can apply for his green card? Thanks

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
ArGuOr said:
Well, i have all that. Bank account, teen daughter, house and work. My own business in progress. Except for traveling somewhere else.... will that help?
It is only $100 to try for a visitors visa so it is worth a try. You may get lucky

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
thommyb said:
My husband has a conditional PR. He went to the United States under the cuban adjustment act. If i report him to immigration (long story), will this affect his status in the US, either now or a year from now when he can apply for his green card? Thanks
Apparently no affect in the USA just in Canada he will be flagged at the Canadian border if he tries to come back as a PR

Europeo

Feb 17, 2015
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2015
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
File Transfer...
29-04-2015
Med's Done....
22-11-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2015
LANDED..........
29-08-2015
Galano1213 said:
If he becomes a cuban resident he cannot sponsor you to Canada as he will no longer be a resident in Canada.
I think it's important to point out the nuance here, obtaining PR status in Cuba is not equivalent to no longer being a resident of Canada. I got my Cuban PR this year, and i can maintain it as long as i don't spent more than 24 consecutive months outside of Cuba. On the Canadian side, residency is maintained as long as you spend 6 months + 1 day out of 365 in Canada, so you can see how these two are not mutually exclusive, and getting Cuban PR will not jeopardize one's status in Canada.

Same goes for my wife, she's had her Canadian PR for a year and a half and maintains her Cuban residency as we've been back a few times.

I researched this thoroughly before we bought our house down there..

Europeo

Feb 17, 2015
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2015
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
File Transfer...
29-04-2015
Med's Done....
22-11-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2015
LANDED..........
29-08-2015
ArGuOr said:
Like Galano said, the application process is fairly cheap, simple and fast (in contrast to the family reunification/PR visa application process that is neither of these things) and you can give it a shot, but you should keep in mind that having history of travel abroad is a key component towards getting approved for a visitor's visa.

So while I suspect that someone somewhere might have gotten approved without it, I personally don't know nor have I read of anyone that actually did.. good luck..

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
I attended my ADR Dec 20th,2016 in Halifax Nova Scotia via teleconference from Montreal and it was successful. It took less than 20 minutes. Now to wait for the call from Havana Cuba for visa . Happy New Year to everyone

jlg

Mar 3, 2016
Galano1213 said:
I attended my ADR Dec 20th,2016 in Halifax Nova Scotia via teleconference from Montreal and it was successful. It took less than 20 minutes. Now to wait for the call from Havana Cuba for visa . Happy New Year to everyone
Those are amazing news!!!! I am very happy for you. Congratulations:)

All the time and perseverance paid off!!!
Happy New Year to you as well :)

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Yes it did 2.5 yrs. He should have had the visa Jan 4th.2016 but hopefully he will have it in Jan 2017

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
received a notice of decision from immigration today Does this mean it will be sent to Havana or is it still in Ottawa.My hearing was Dec 20 and the letter is a certified copy Dated Dec28 from the registar. Others who have had a successful appeal a few years ago with Havana says it took 6 months to get their visa but that may have changed with the new changes in Canada

mpenn123

Jan 13, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this forum but thought it would be a good form of support, knowledge and hopefulness as I wait out this whole long process. After 2 years together I married my Cuban husband last MAY.Just submitted my paperwork last month in December( it was received on Dec 21st, although I have had no acknowledgment from CIC )
So now I wait.....and by the sounds of it wait,wait and wait some more. How long before I receive something from CIC? I did the whole application myself with no help so I guess my biggest concern is if something is not done right and all the delays that could bring about just makes me nervous.
I have read about the process on the Canadian government website but if any one would like to share any tips on things to do, what exactly happens once CIC receives the application or even how to get through these very lonely months:(
I don"t know anyone who has gone through this process so any feedback / advice would be greatly appreciated...It is all a little overwhelming!

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
when CIC determines that your application is complete which takes approximately 47 days you will receive an email stating that your approved as a sponsor which is an AOR and you will get a file number for you as well as one for your spouse. You will also be notified when it goes to Havana.