+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Havana, Cuba

Thedean8

Dec 26, 2015
Well I'm 31 and she is 21, I submitted November 7th to be approved as a sponsor can someone tell me what to expect after that they are already working on applications from October should I should hear back in a 2 weeks or so. . I met her in April and married in July but I basically lived with her in Cuba for 6 months I barely returned to Canada this year. We also went to Ecuador for our honey money. But she was denied for her visitor visa one before marriage in June and one after marriage in October.

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
after you are approved as a sponsor the application goes to Havana and they can take up to 10 months to do anything. Most visitor visas are refused after you marry as they seem to think unless you prove the spouse has a lot of ties in Cuba that they will not return when they are supposed to. In our case we have 13 years difference in age and our application went to Havana Jan 6,2015 and we have an interview Jan 4.2016.

Thedean8

Dec 26, 2015
How soon after it went to Havana did you get a response for an interview? Do they give reasons for the interview? How long were you together and how much time did you spend together if you don't mind me asking? Also I'm from Manitoba most people are from Toronto or Montreal, does it matter what province you are from or just Radomly done at immigration? It seems some people don't require an interview, so why do they get lucky and others no?

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
well after it was there for 6 months when I called my MP and they made an inquiry and was told that we would have an interview. The interview is done to prove that the marriage is genuine. We met in 2010 and was married in 2013. I travelled there for 2 weeks in 2010,2011 ,2012 and in 2013 for 10 weeks. 2014 for 12 weeks and then for 6 weeks and every couple of months for 2 weeks in 2015. Total 8 months and 2 weeks. Don't think where u r from makes a difference. I think if you have travel history, lots of relatives that attend the wedding and trips together and contact with spouse it helps and pictures. I see people get through in 4 months from start to finish and others who take 12 months or more or fail the interview and have to appeal. The average is 10 months before you can get any good info from Havana. We are at 15 months from start. Sent application July 2014. You need a lot of patience for this process.

Thedean8

Dec 26, 2015
So the people that are getting through in 4 months what are there stories compared to others or yours? Any difference why you were not approved in 4 months? Or any method to their madness?

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Following is insight into how the system works

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Canadian+visa+officers+and+the+social+construction+of+%22real%22+spousal...-a0360358193

Thedean8

Dec 26, 2015
What are people's personal experiences and details of people that where approved quickly. Is it just Radom? Luck of the draw?

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Personally I think it is some of both If you read the posts on this area you can see how some have gotten through in as little as 4 months however that is not the average.

newgirl1

Nov 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August,22,2014
Doc's Request.
Sept,25,2014
AOR Received.
Dec,25,2014
File Transfer...
Jan,6,2015
Med's Done....
July 2014
VISA ISSUED...
March 11 2015
LANDED..........
MARCH 16 2015
Thedean8 said:
What are people's personal experiences and details of people that where approved quickly. Is it just Radom? Luck of the draw?
I'm one of the people with the quick application. Took 6 months from start to finish, 4 months in canada for sponsor approval because they needed updated forms so that slowed things down, and two months once it was in Havana.

My husband and I met in England in summer of 2013. I was 29 and he was 25. He was temporarily living abroad at the time and I'm a flight attendant so I was on a layover in Manchester. We carried on a long distance relationship until I finally moved to Manchester in November 2013 where we lived together, he proposed to me in January 2014. I didn't like living in England and he was open to moving to Canada so he took a huge risk for me and we went back to Cuba in March 2014 where we wanted to get married so that his family could be there as well as mine. We got married in June 2014.
So long story short we were engaged after six months and married after a year of being together. And we live together the whole time so we had lots and lots of proof of the relationship honestly, photos, texts, emails, Facebook chat logs. In fact my husband was laughing when they returned the package back to him because it was so big compared to other peoples. I'm pretty sure the other and main reason why it didn't take long in our case is because he wasn't living in Cuba when we met so it didn't look like he was trying to get out of Cuba through marriage. I think that was one of the biggest factors. Not only was he not trying to get out of Cuba but he took a huge risk in going back to Cuba where he would be stuck during this whole application process and not knowing what the outcome would be. It was completely nerve-racking.

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Just believe that good things are on their way.

Thedean8

Dec 26, 2015
Trying to believe in good things aren't easy especially with Cubans reputation. You just have to believe what you have is real and go with your gut. There is so much negative talk about it on the internet it's hard not to let it get to your head.

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
You are right. I don't pay attention to negative comments regarding Cubans as you can find that with any culture. I read this forum for help and take what I need and leave the rest. Best to stay positive as this can be a long process and the people on this forum are here to give their experience and hopefully be of help to others.

Thedean8

Dec 26, 2015
Has anyone's spouse in Cuba received and email from the Canadian embassy at the beginning of the application just to confirm the correct email address?

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
I received an email from CIC when they said my application was complete.

Mrs.DoryBaby

Jul 29, 2014
Visa Office......
Havana
NOC Code......
FAMILY CLASS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 25, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
August 20, 2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
August 28, 2014
Med's Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Done....
May, 2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
January 27, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
February 4, 2015
LANDED..........
7 Month wait! tip to toe! Good Luck EVERYONE!
Thedean8 said:
Trying to believe in good things aren't easy especially with Cubans reputation. You just have to believe what you have is real and go with your gut. There is so much negative talk about it on the internet it's hard not to let it get to your head.
Hey THeDean8!! Just wanted to say vest of luck!! Some tips for ur wife.. Make sure she doesn't travel to Ecuador w/o u while ur back in Canada ;) that will look poorly in her. If ur able to go back often that's what seems to be the key to quick answers... More time u spend the better!!! :) u sound like u have a great chance to be a bit quicker than most because they seem to lke the younger couples.... As far as all the negative e stories... I can count on more than one hand of MANY couples that are still going strong!!! Me and hubby are 3 years into our relationship and 1 year anniversary in Canada and if feels like we are still newly weds!!! Xox HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!