+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has no Given Name !

Mar 30, 2018
Hello!
As per my passport, It has surname only i.e. Usman and given name field is blank.The Express Entry Profile requires Surname and Given Names fields as Mandatory. what am I supposed to write in Given name field?
Please guide me what should I do with some authentic source?

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Hello!
As per my passport, It has surname only i.e. Usman and given name field is blank.The Express Entry Profile requires Surname and Given Names fields as Mandatory. what am I supposed to write in Given name field?
There are couple of threads in this forum, check those. One example - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/no-surname-in-indian-passport-fnu-in-us-visa-need-help-to-apply-canada-visa.278325/

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hello!
A little bit of research would have answered your query, here the answer from IRCC faq-

What do you mean by surname?
Your surname is your family name. It is also called your “last name.” When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document.

Do not use initials.

If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4&_ga=2.41890215.409697798.1522475106-2112934104.1497176950

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
Hello!

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
What happend sir as i am facing same issue i am going to apply to sds canadian student visa. The issue is that my whole name which is Rahil Khan is written in surname portion on the passport and my given name is blank there is nothing its empty.Now while applying to visa online on portal they are asking for first name which I don't have on my passport so sir what should I do I can't leave it blank because it is mandatory and I cannot use the sign of dash(-) in place of it because special characters are not allowed.Kindly help me

sengheinsai

Jul 5, 2022
What happend sir as i am facing same issue i am going to apply to sds canadian student visa. The issue is that my whole name which is Rahil Khan is written in surname portion on the passport and my given name is blank there is nothing its empty.Now while applying to visa online on portal they are asking for first name which I don't have on my passport so sir what should I do I can't leave it blank because it is mandatory and I cannot use the sign of dash(-) in place of it because special characters are not allowed.Kindly help me
How did you solve the issue? I am facing the same problem

Regina 2016

Jun 14, 2016
Hello!
hi did your issue solved ? if yes how plz share