+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone gone through the security clearance/check phase?

momosalahi

Aug 8, 2016
Passed my test on Feb. 7th. Got 20/20.
During the interview the officer told me that i will receive the decision in a couple of days.
So far so good.

But almost a month has passed and nothing has happened, so i decided to call cic call center.
The call center agent told me that my file is pending security clearance, that i have passed the criminality part but still pending the security one.

Has anyone had his citizenship application delayed because of this? and for how long?
Would appreciate if anyone could share his experience.

Thanks and good luck to all.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
momosalahi said:
During the interview the officer told me that i will receive the decision in a couple of days.
So far so good.

But almost a month has passed and nothing has happened, so i decided to call cic call center.
The call center agent told me that my file is pending security clearance, that i have passed the criminality part but still pending the security one.

Has anyone had his citizenship application delayed because of this? and for how long?

Depend from case to case could be days months or many months.

After test I am waiting for decision from 9 Sep due to pending security clearance.

But I notice in this forum most of the cases took one to two months only.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
momosalahi said:
So far so good.

As far as we know, referrals for background clearances to both the RCMP and CSIS are still made when the application is initially screened in Sydney, that is concurrent with the procedures that create the file and commence processing. And that ordinarily these clearances are completed prior to being scheduled for the test and documents-check interview.

Depending on other factors, and particularly on how long the process has taken, IRCC often makes a further referral to update the clearances before scheduling an applicant for the oath. These updates are usually perfunctory and for the vast majority of applicants result in only a short delay.

But, as heeradeepak observed, the timeline in individual cases depends on the particulars of each case and can vary considerably, ranging from a minimal delay to much longer delays, depending.

The longer delays do tend to arise from the CSIS security clearance. I am not familiar with enough recent reports to discern current range, but just a couple years ago we were seeing some take years while most appeared to take from a month or two up to several months.

There is probably a correlation between why the process of updating the clearance is not routine, thus involving more than a minimal delay, and the length of the delay.

The reasons, that is why or what causes some applicants to be subject to a more extensive CSIS security clearance, are largely unknown (to us, to the public). But it is easy to infer some, such as an extended absence from Canada while the application is pending, and especially so for time spent in certain parts of the world.

Contrary to popular opinion, ATIP requests are NOT likely to shed any light on why or on how long it will be.

Mostly the applicant needs to swallow a big chill pill and be patient. And yeah, this can be more difficult than those who have not gone through this process seem to appreciate, since the notice for the oath can come any time and the amount of notice can be rather short and a failure to appear for the oath can mean having to start over. This can severely compromise an applicant's freedom to travel even within Canada, and can be especially inconvenient for anyone whose employment involves travel for lengthy periods of time.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I have seen an expired clearance hold up a file for over a year. Hopefully, that doesn't happen to you. The issue is not only how long it takes to run a clearance, but also how long it takes for someone at IRCC to notice that a clearance needs to be rerun and how many other clearances might expire in the meantime and need to be rerun themselves. You can find yourself on a bit of a merry go round with expiring clearances if the officers aren't particularly dilligent.

imran01

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:
As far as we know, referrals for background clearances to both the RCMP and CSIS are still made when the application is initially screened in Sydney, that is concurrent with the procedures that create the file and commence processing. And that ordinarily these clearances are completed prior to being scheduled for the test and documents-check interview.

Depending on other factors, and particularly on how long the process has taken, IRCC often makes a further referral to update the clearances before scheduling an applicant for the oath. These updates are usually perfunctory and for the vast majority of applicants result in only a short delay.

But, as heeradeepak observed, the timeline in individual cases depends on the particulars of each case and can vary considerably, ranging from a minimal delay to much longer delays, depending.

The longer delays do tend to arise from the CSIS security clearance. I am not familiar with enough recent reports to discern current range, but just a couple years ago we were seeing some take years while most appeared to take from a month or two up to several months.

There is probably a correlation between why the process of updating the clearance is not routine, thus involving more than a minimal delay, and the length of the delay.

The reasons, that is why or what causes some applicants to be subject to a more extensive CSIS security clearance, are largely unknown (to us, to the public). But it is easy to infer some, such as an extended absence from Canada while the application is pending, and especially so for time spent in certain parts of the world.

Contrary to popular opinion, ATIP requests are NOT likely to shed any light on why or on how long it will be.

Mostly the applicant needs to swallow a big chill pill and be patient. And yeah, this can be more difficult than those who have not gone through this process seem to appreciate, since the notice for the oath can come any time and the amount of notice can be rather short and a failure to appear for the oath can mean having to start over. This can severely compromise an applicant's freedom to travel even within Canada, and can be especially inconvenient for anyone whose employment involves travel for lengthy periods of time.
you know i feel very comfortable before applying for citizenship..that
1. i never be out of canada.. or even out of city ..in relevant period... so my check will be very straight forward
2. their is no gap of employment in the relevant period... so less work for officer for checking etc..
but after completing almost 6 month of process and reach upto only finger print request... not even invite for test...
still cant figure out except the redline above.. whats going on

Blueboy1980

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone know if the security clearance is the same one that is used for airport security clearances to obtain a pass for working on the secure side of an airport? When I did the security clearance for my airport pass it was through Transport Canada and the RCMP.

Oct17

Jun 6, 2019
@dpenabill :

Hello

I have applied for citizenship in October 2017 and done with the test in March 2018, I haven’t heard anything back from CIC since then.
I have MP office following up with my file and the recent information I received recently is that , “the security is in progress and under review.”
I have also ordered GCMS recently and it does mention a note from the agent that “the status has to be manually changed to under review.”
It’s been under review since March 2019.

Would really appreciate if you can provide some information as to what exactly it means and how long does a file stays under review ? Does his also mean that the security is done and hence it’s under review ? and so on and so forth ?

Thanks