+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anybody experienced this

wolkies

Apr 6, 2019
Hi Long story short. Applied for Citizenship by descent in October 2018. Application went to Program Support Unit. March 4th I was informed that my application was approved and would be mailed out shortly, and status was changed to Decision Made. After 10 days or so when the Certificate didn't come, I checked my status daily. On March 19th my status changed to "Complete" and the certificate was mailed on March 19th to my home address.

28 days after the Certificate was mailed in Sydney, Nova Scotia, I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED IT. I live in the NYC vicinity. I have lots of family in Sydney and mail usually takes less than 10 days to reach me by Canada Post/USPS. I have emailed twice asking for information without a response. I know Covid-19 could be causing some delays.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Do these things get held up in US Customs? At what point is that envelope considered "Lost"?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Long story short. Applied for Citizenship by descent in October 2018. Application went to Program Support Unit. March 4th I was informed that my application was approved and would be mailed out shortly, and status was changed to Decision Made. After 10 days or so when the Certificate didn't come, I checked my status daily. On March 19th my status changed to "Complete" and the certificate was mailed on March 19th to my home address.

28 days after the Certificate was mailed in Sydney, Nova Scotia, I STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED IT. I live in the NYC vicinity. I have lots of family in Sydney and mail usually takes less than 10 days to reach me by Canada Post/USPS. I have emailed twice asking for information without a response. I know Covid-19 could be causing some delays.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Do these things get held up in US Customs? At what point is that envelope considered "Lost"?
IRCC considers a document lost 6 weeks after mailing it out. At that point, you can report it lost and request for it to be re-issued.

wolkies

Apr 6, 2019
IRCC considers a document lost 6 weeks after mailing it out. At that point, you can report it lost and request for it to be re-issued.
Thank you so much for that information! This forum is so helpful and I'm grateful to all the people who take the time to respond:)

wolkies

Apr 6, 2019
This member also said that he did not get his certificate. It's been over a year since he posted, so we don't know if he got it resolved.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/obtaining-certificate-of-citizenship-by-descent.490056/page-7#post-6913306
Thanks, Hawk :) I read through all the postings in that thread. There was another poster who waited over a month to get his certificate in the US. I will post when it arrives or when I have to request IRCC to resend.

wolkies

Apr 6, 2019
IRCC responded to webform inquiry I sent last week. It is now 6 weeks since my Certificate was mailed from Sydney and IRCC said to submit a Solemn Declaration form. I faxed the form this morning. What bothers me most is what happened to the envelope they sent via Canada Post/USPS. From what I've read IRCC returns the documents originally sent to them, copies of birth certificates and copies of your Passport. The thought of this kind of information delivered to a wrong address??