+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H4 Visa for Canadian citizen?

Nil007

Mar 5, 2022
Just call cbp office and they will confirm.
Visa is just a travel document to reach the immigration post. This visa is required only for commercial carrier to board us in, not going to be helpful beyond that point(all passports are same). Canadian passport is the only passport US allows to travel for most visa category without a visa. My colleague's wife and kids dont get visa, as @shevas2003 said they just jut the border directly with principal's I797 and they will get I94.
Thank you very much!

ankurmk86

Apr 20, 2023
@Murthy2222 - were you able to figure this out? I am in similar situation where my minor child has Canadian Passport and I have H1B stamp. Trying to determine if I need to apply for visa stamp at consulate or we get H4 status in i94 as the road boarder.

How did it work out for?

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
@Murthy2222 - were you able to figure this out? I am in similar situation where my minor child has Canadian Passport and I have H1B stamp. Trying to determine if I need to apply for visa stamp at consulate or we get H4 status in i94 as the road boarder.

How did it work out for?
no you don’t . Just h4 stamp when you cross the border

ankurmk86

Apr 20, 2023
no you don’t . Just h4 stamp when you cross the border
@Rawhide - thank you for your reply! Good to know that we get H4 stamp at entry and no need to apply with consulate. We have already planned our move in a months time and I panicked when our moving company told us that we need to get visa prior to moving.

Reactions: Rawhide

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
@Rawhide - thank you for your reply! Good to know that we get H4 stamp at entry and no need to apply with consulate. We have already planned our move in a months time and I panicked when our moving company told us that we need to get visa prior to moving.

I am moving in July, which moving company you are using ? Care to share more details around moving costs ?

Reactions: Badal_11

sarainan

Oct 25, 2022
I also have the same quest. Could you reply to it for me too?

I am moving in July, which moving company you are using ? Care to share more details around moving costs ?

anni_in

Sep 4, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2013
AOR Received.
16-Jul-2013
Med's Request
31-Jan-2014
Med's Done....
7-Feb-2014 Medical received.: 17-Feb-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
1-Mar-2014
If you know driving, you should drive UHaul unless your company is paying moving cost. DM me to know about my experience. I drove from Toronto to Dallas without any issue

Dhivya95

Nov 20, 2019
Hi, Can anyone who got H4 status at land border share their experience?

My husband is H1B holder and I am Canadian citizen. And I am planning to go to USA next month for couple of days and will move permanently in about 2 months.

We called land border close to my home (in BC) and they mentioned that I have to go to US consulate for H4 and I got confused as that's not what I have been reading in forums. Not sure whether the officer didn't know or am I misunderstanding.

My questions are as follows.

1. Can I get H4 status at land border and anyone's experience will be helpful. Documents required to get H4?

2. If I can get it at border, is it possible to return to Canada either on the same day or next day after change in status?

Any guidance will be helpful.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018

My husband is H1B holder and I am Canadian citizen. And I am planning to go to USA next month for couple of days and will move permanently in about 2 months.

We called land border close to my home (in BC) and they mentioned that I have to go to US consulate for H4 and I got confused as that's not what I have been reading in forums. Not sure whether the officer didn't know or am I misunderstanding.

1. Can I get H4 status at land border and anyone's experience will be helpful. Documents required to get H4?

2. If I can get it at border, is it possible to return to Canada either on the same day or next day after change in status?

1) Yes, all you need is approved 797 of your spouse who is working on H1B
2) Yes,

shevas2003

Star Member
Feb 24, 2022

Canadian citizens don't need to visit a consulate as they do not need a visa stamp. My husband is a citizen and he drove to the Ottawa/Ogdensburg border, got his H1 and drove back back during the first time when we moved here to the USA. I think it must be that the officer didn't know, you should be able to drive, get your H4 and drive right back to Canada.