+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H4 or visitor visa

Tanu17

Jun 18, 2019
Hi,

My spouse holds an H1B (approved not stamped yet) but I am in Canada on a PR. should I apply for H4 or visitor visa for USA. Thanks.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Is your spouse living in the US or will they travel with/before you to the US in H1B status?

If yes, then you can use H4 Visa. So whenever you travel to the US, your spouse must be present in the US and holding H1B status in order for you to use the H4 Visa.

Otherwise, if you are traveling on your own, you need B1/B2.

Tanu17

Jun 18, 2019
Is your spouse living in the US or will they travel with/before you to the US in H1B status?

If yes, then you can use H4 Visa. So whenever you travel to the US, your spouse must be present in the US and holding H1B status in order for you to use the H4 Visa.

Thank you so much. I appreciate the response.

quickili29

Nov 1, 2021

Can you please help me with the following situation-
I have lived in US for 6 years on F1 until March 2020. Later moved to Canada on PR and currently work for Canadian company. My husband is on h1 and lives in Detroit. I plan to rent a place in Windsor and continue working for my existing company and commute daily to Detroit end of the day on h4.
It would be great if someone can help me with the below questions -
Do I have to pay taxes to both the countries?
Do you see any challenge crossing the border daily on H4?
What's preferred to commute the tunnel or nexus card?
Are there any other challenges in doing so?

THank you

Murthy2222

Star Member
Oct 20, 2016
Doc's Request.
No
Hi,

I have H1 and my spouse is a Canadian citizen, Does anyone know if Canadian citizen requires H4 visa, and if yes, should we apply for it with US consulate? Some people say Canadian citizen doesn't require any visa to live in US, does any one know?