+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B visa appointment availability

Sinha.616

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
Hey I got a reply from consulate in Ottawa, they changed my in person appointment to a drop box, I had to email them twice, got the reply after second email.
Congrats! What reason did you provide in email for them to convert in-person to dropbox?

Smartypreet24

Jan 18, 2022
Need help in getting appointment of H1B in Canada

Here is our situation:
I am currently on H4 visa and my spouse is on H1B. Our last stamping was done in India and Currently we have Canadian COPR which is yet to be activated. Would we be eligible for Dropbox or would have to take in person visa appointment? If eligible for dropbox ,then can we mail in documents from USA to Canada or have to go to Canada and then submit the documents? Having said this USA embassy mail back passports to USA or some authorize person has to pick from USA consulate to Canada?

bhargavako

Jan 23, 2022
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and have been following this thread. I have Canadian PR and was looking for H1B stamping appointments in Canada. I have submitted my DS-160 and filled in the required details for the appointment. However, the portal does not show any appointments available. I have been on an F1 visa previously and this will be my first stamp for H1B. I picked Ottawa as my consulate.

I also read about the interview waiver for 2022, but I am not even able to view dropbox appointments. Am I doing something wrong? Some direction would be really helpful. Thank you!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and have been following this thread. I have Canadian PR and was looking for H1B stamping appointments in Canada. I have submitted my DS-160 and filled in the required details for the appointment. However, the portal does not show any appointments available. I have been on an F1 visa previously and this will be my first stamp for H1B. I picked Ottawa as my consulate.

I also read about the interview waiver for 2022, but I am not even able to view dropbox appointments. Am I doing something wrong? Some direction would be really helpful. Thank you!
Are you looking at the correct site? You have to pay the fee in order see the dates.

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I did pay, submitted my DS-160. When I created my account at the same link you shared, the current status shows "Send Documents".
So “Send documents” is nothing but the dropbox option. Prepare the list of docs and send accordingly.

Do you see any date like “we need to receive before so and so days” there??

bhargavako

Jan 23, 2022
So “Send documents” is nothing but the dropbox option. Prepare the list of docs and send accordingly.

Do you see any date like “we need to receive before so and so days” there??
The only date I found was under the Payment Receipt tab, which shows the expiry date as 2023-01-14.

When I go through the whole instructions tab, it asks me to drop off my documents at a courier facility which they have listed as well. I think I checked the wrong option (I checked 'No') where it asked, " Are you traveling from another country to apply for a US visa in Canada?". I have a PR and can go to Canada any time as such. But now I am not sure if this might be a negative thing. Quite confused.

Should I re-apply with the new DS-160 form and check the correct option of 'Yes' or just go to Canada and get the process done as this is a non-issue.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
The only date I found was under the Payment Receipt tab, which shows the expiry date as 2023-01-14.

When I go through the whole instructions tab, it asks me to drop off my documents at a courier facility which they have listed as well. I think I checked the wrong option (I checked 'No') where it asked, " Are you traveling from another country to apply for a US visa in Canada?". I have a PR and can go to Canada any time as such. But now I am not sure if this might be a negative thing. Quite confused.

Should I re-apply with the new DS-160 form and check the correct option of 'Yes' or just go to Canada and get the process done as this is a non-issue.
If you are in US and have to travel and unable to travel now, try to reach out to support centre asking them that you have answered a question wrong and needed to correct it, i think they would be able to reset it, or else try yourself to reset from the gear icon(Edit).

bhargavako

Jan 23, 2022
If you are in US and have to travel and unable to travel now, try to reach out to support centre asking them that you have answered a question wrong and needed to correct it, i think they would be able to reset it, or else try yourself to reset from the gear icon(Edit).
No, I can travel for sure! I just wanted to be sure it will not be an issue with the consulate. If that one check box is not an issue, I can fly next week :D

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
No, I can travel for sure! I just wanted to be sure it will not be an issue with the consulate. If that one check box is not an issue, I can fly next week :D
That should be "yes" infact because you are indeed travelling. thats the reason please check with customer support. I think that wouldn't be a problem at all but just double check. Also make sure the processing takes anywhere between 4-6 weeks now. Be prepared in case if you travel.

Reactions: bhargavako

bhargavako

Jan 23, 2022
That should be "yes" infact because you are indeed travelling. thats the reason please check with customer support. I think that wouldn't be a problem at all but just double check. Also make sure the processing takes anywhere between 4-6 weeks now. Be prepared in case if you travel.
Okay, I will contact customer support regarding this and plan accordingly. Thank you so much for your help!

tenebrus

Nov 28, 2018
Okay, I will contact customer support regarding this and plan accordingly. Thank you so much for your help!
Hello, I am in the exact same situation as you. I am a Canadian PR, and I was looking to get my initial H1B stamped in Canada, but I currently live in the US. Since there is very limited appointments available at this point, I was hoping to "send documents" from Canada since we can travel to Canada anytime as a PR. My understanding is, as long as I am in Canada with legal status (i.e., PR) then I can waive the interview (based the extended interview waiver). Could you please share if you have heard back from customer support regarding this matter? Many thanks!