Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I noted that for single H1B applicants, the appointment booking system shows open slots in 2022. However, we are a family of 5 (two adults), and for us, system shows no appointments are available at all and we cant even pay the fees!

Question#1: I already put "Toronto" in the DS-160. Can I still book appointment (when it opens) in other cities in Canada? The FAQ#7 here indicate that YES I can. DS160 FAQS. But on the appointment booking system, it says the location of interview must match the location in the DS-160. Confused! Really have no energy to fill 5 DS-160s again :(

Question#2: Is there such a rule that the H1B stamping interview/appointment should be within XX number of days of the H1B start date? I read somewhere that the H1B stamping is only allowed within 90 days of the H1B start date, but I couldn't verify it.

Really appreciate if someone can answer these questions. Hope things get better for all of us soon.
Earlier it used to make us pay first but seems they changed it nowadays. Its good because we dont need to pay for stamping in this country if we dont even have appointments or else we get locked our money unnecessarily and waiting.

1. I dont think it matters but if you really want to keep it same then have the DS160 saved without submitting it. Book the appointment and then submit the DS160.
2. Yes you woudnt need a visa that early. But anyway you dont have appointment date hence by the time you get the slot it will be closer/past your start date.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Hey any idea on how many times can we reschedule the interviews?
You can reschedule as many times as long as your visa interview fee is valid. (Currently valid til 2022, I think)

Didn't someone answer your question already?
Not sure why you're asking again

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
No, i didn't get anything of that sort. Only cancellation email was received and nothing after that. Miine is in montreal. Why did they have to move a half hour earlier? Did they move it by themselves or you had to reschedule it?
They moved it by themselves. I got an email saying they will reschedule my interview. I went to look but it was same date. I didn't even catch the time change until I saw in forums people reporting the same.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
You can reschedule as many times as long as your visa interview fee is valid. (Currently valid til 2022, I think)

Didn't someone answer your question already?
Not sure why you're asking again
Nope. Generally if you are going for appointment in India its different case so(only twice you can reschedule) , had this question always. i didn't rebook my appointment only thinking on this. Also not sure if something has changed during pandemic.
Thanks for clarification.

siddtox

Jul 6, 2020
Can you change the DS-160 on a visa application? At the interview stage with an interview booked in Vancouver with a different DS-160.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks @harirajmohan for your suggestion on using correct and updated DS-160 to book an appointment. Just a follow up question on this:
1. I could not see an option of updating the location once we start the DS-160 application and retrieve it using the Application Id. Is it actually possible to update the location in the saved DS-160?
2. Also, just in case if we find a mistake in the submitted DS-160 after booking an appointment using it. Is it possible to update the DS-160 number while keeping the scheduled appointment?

Kindly suggest. Thanks!!
1. I think that you are confused with the location you select before you enter the action form/details of DS160. Its not that. Its the location which comes in after some pages(, after the section "Temporary Work Visa Information") inside DS160. The section is "Location Information". Field is "Location where you will be submitting your application Current Location: TORONTO, CANADA" - something like this.
Any detail can be updated if its not submitted. Recheck again.
2. No, you cant. You can take a new DS160 and give it to the visa officer to use this latest one which they will do it.

chaudri

Feb 1, 2015
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2017
Med's Done....
11-06-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
LANDED..........
23 April 2018
Anyone in Toronto whose been trying to book?

i have been trying for months but dont see open interviews before may/june 2022.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Anyone in Toronto whose been trying to book?

i have been trying for months but dont see open interviews before may/june 2022.
I usually check early in the morning, but I don't know if that's because the consulate opens more spots in the morning or if people just cancel
I used to check whenever I can, and it's hard to get a spot in the near future.

It of course won't matter if the consulate wants to cancel the appointment anyways.
Toronto's been the worst one in the past year it seems

chaudri

Feb 1, 2015
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2017
Med's Done....
11-06-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
LANDED..........
23 April 2018
I usually check early in the morning, but I don't know if that's because the consulate opens more spots in the morning or if people just cancel
I used to check whenever I can, and it's hard to get a spot in the near future.

It of course won't matter if the consulate wants to cancel the appointment anyways.
Toronto's been the worst one in the past year it seems
Thanks. Around what time do you check in the morning?

hopefully they should open more appointments now that us Canada border is opening.

hopefulnewbie

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
Hi, does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get a response from the embassy about the expedited appointment request?

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
just would like to share the info in case it would benefit anyone else. I requested an expedited appointment and got it. My appointment was in early 2020, then canceled 3 or 4 times and rescheduled to 2022. I need to go back to work in person in late Aug. Requested the expedited appointment a week ago, got the reply the next business day, and now I have an appointment in early Aug.. Really amazed by how fast they responded.

Here are 2 things that can help if your case is considered to be urgent (yes, having to work in person does count but you need to present proof for it at the interview)~
1. don't request an appointment date that's within 2 weeks coz they are very likely to be unavailable
2. in your narrative, make it clear that you are willing to accommodate any date and time when an appointment is available. I got a date that was not the one I requested in the form. I guess my case would be denied if I had not stated that I'd be willing to attend the appointment anytime.

finally, if you are unsure, call the consulate's contact number. The wait time for the call is not long, and the staff provides good advice. The info center gave me the above suggestions.

Last edited:

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
just would like to share the info in case it would benefit anyone else. I requested an expedited appointment and got it. My appointment was in early 2020, then canceled 3 or 4 times and rescheduled to 2022. I need to go back to work in person in late Aug. Requested the expedited appointment a week ago, got the reply the next business day, and now I have an appointment in early Aug.. Really amazed by how fast they responded.

Here are 2 things that can help if your case is considered to be urgent (yes, having to work in person does count but you need to present proof for it at the interview)~
1. don't request an appointment date that's within 2 weeks coz they are very likely to be unavailable
2. in your narrative, make it clear that you are willing to accommodate any date and time when an appointment is available. I got a date that was not the one I requested in the form. I guess my case would be denied if I had not stated that I'd be willing to attend the appointment anytime.

finally, if you are unsure, call the consulate's contact number. The wait time for the call is not long, and the staff provides good advice. The info center gave me the above suggestions.
thanks for sharing.. what would provide as proof for requiring to be in person at the time of appointment?

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
Hi everyone - Just a quick question. Can we edit passport "pick up" location in the AIS portal after booking an appointment? I am creating a profile on the AIS portal and it is asking for the pick up location. As currently I am not sure where I would get the appointment, therefore wanted to know if we can update the pick up location later. Please suggest. Thanks!!
yes, you can. I emailed the consulate info center to ask the same question and here is the reply. see below

log in to your system profile and click on Continue then on the link Update Delivery Location and follow the instructions.

You may also request your documents shipped to your residence or other address in Canada at an additional cost of $21.00 CAD, or select a Canada Post office at an additional cost of $17.00 CAD. Click on the option Continue then on the link Request Premium Delivery and follow the instructions.

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
Thanks @suemon for your response. This provided a lot of clarity. Basically I can upgrade to select "Canada Post office" as a pick up location after paying $17.00 CAD. So, I am assuming it would allow to update to the province where an appointment is scheduled and then we can select the post office to pick up the passport , correct? Please confirm if you know. Thanks again!!
i think so. I was able to change the pick up location, though both locations are in the same province. i don't see why you can't change it to a different province. Note that there is a deadline to make such a change, and it is based on the time of your appointment. if you encounter any problem, find the contact info on the booking website and ask the tech center. they are very helpful and usually reply in a timely manner.