+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B Stamping Dropbox in Canada

artsy04

Sep 14, 2023
Hi All,

I am on H1B and in the process of submitting my documents for the dropbox here in Vancouver.

My question is regarding the statement below, I guess I know the answer but still want to ask to be safe.

(H) TEMPORARY WORKER
  • Receipt Number for your approved petition as it appears on your Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker Form I-129 or Notice of Action Form I-797 from USCIS (does not apply to H1B1 visa applicants).
  • Job offer from United States employer and a Certified Department of Labor approved application (applies to H1B1 visa applicants only).
Is the second point valid only for H1B1 applicants, did you guys just include the I-797 doc or did you also include the Job Offer.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I had the same confusion, so I checked with my attorney. They said the second point does not apply to us, so I only sent I-797 approval notice and my passport was stamped. However, it doesn't hurt if you add offer letter if you already have it.

Reactions: Yaswanthreddy

ilikebabyelephent

Feb 14, 2021
Timeline : H1B Dropbox Toronto Consulate | Canadian PR Holder | Aug-2023 to Oct-2023 | 46 DAYS

Aug 22: Filled out the US Visa Payment, at the end, I was welcomed with a note stating that my case in the "virtual waiting list", I would get an instruction email regarding document submission.
Aug 31: Received Instructions email.
Aug 31 : Docs sent via near by Canada Post ( I did not have to go to Toronto to drop-off the documents ).
Sept 1 : Docs reached the consulate.
Sept 8 : DS-160 status changed to 'Application Received'.
Oct 2: Approved
Oct 3: Issued
Oct 4: Received tracking details email
Oct 5: Passport dispatched to home.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: Rgajula

Yaswanthreddy

Feb 11, 2019
I had the same confusion, so I checked with my attorney. They said the second point does not apply to us, so I only sent I-797 approval notice and my passport was stamped. However, it doesn't hurt if you add offer letter if you already have it.
Thank you

JenmamX

Oct 4, 2023
Here is my experience so far - To whomsoever it may benefit:

My scenario: H1B(me), H4(Spouse) | Canada PR (never settled, just visited for stamping) - gave my friends address as my own.

Timeline:

Sep 18: Got H1b - i797B approval copy from lawyers via email
Sep 25: H1b approval copy delivered to my address (Stupid that I am, waited until this date to request an appointment at the consulate unaware of the 'virtual waiting queue' nonsense) - so paid the fee and and requested interview waiver appointment on this day.
Note 1. With current trends of timeline - apply for the interview waiver as soon as you receive the receipt number electronically if going for premium processing
Note 2. You can opt out of interview waiver even if you have a Canadian PR. Lawyers actually encouraged me to do it (But, I went with interview waiver anyway - since I predicted this will be quicker and I was correct in my case) But if you have any prior complication or 221g history, you may want to rethink my strategy for yourself.

Oct 11 - 9:23am : Request to send documents email arrived with instructions.
Oct 11 - 11:45am: Sent all documents via Canada post
Note 1: I had all the necessary documents labelled and photographs taken ready to be sent waiting on the shipping label only at this time
Note 2: If you send the courier after 12pm noon - it will only arrive the day after tomorrow of your shipping date. so try to beat this time. I didn't plan on it, but just happened to learn it while I was sending the courier.

Oct 12: Documents delivered to consulate and received confirmation via Canada Post.

Oct 17: Case created
Note 1: The ais website will have 'send documents' as your status until your return shipping label is created. so check your visa status via your DS-160 (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx)
Note 2: The statuses go this way. Case created -> Case approved -> Issued

Oct 18: Case approved
Oct 19: Issued

I am expecting the passport to be shipped in a day or two. Will keep you all posted on the updates.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022

My scenario: H1B(me), H4(Spouse) | Canada PR (never settled, just visited for stamping) - gave my friends address as my own.

Timeline:

Sep 25: H1b approval copy delivered to my address (Stupid that I am, waited until this date to request an appointment at the consulate unaware of the 'virtual waiting queue' nonsense) - so paid the fee and and requested interview waiver appointment on this day.
Note 1. With current trends of timeline - apply for the interview waiver as soon as you receive the receipt number electronically if going for premium processing
Note 2. You can opt out of interview waiver even if you have a Canadian PR. Lawyers actually encouraged me to do it (But, I went with interview waiver anyway - since I predicted this will be quicker and I was correct in my case) But if you have any prior complication or 221g history, you may want to rethink my strategy for yourself.

Note 1: I had all the necessary documents labelled and photographs taken ready to be sent waiting on the shipping label only at this time
Note 2: If you send the courier after 12pm noon - it will only arrive the day after tomorrow of your shipping date. so try to beat this time. I didn't plan on it, but just happened to learn it while I was sending the courier.

Oct 12: Documents delivered to consulate and received confirmation via Canada Post.

Note 1: The ais website will have 'send documents' as your status until your return shipping label is created. so check your visa status via your DS-160 (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx)

I am expecting the passport to be shipped in a day or two. Will keep you all posted on the updates.
Hello, thanks for sharing. Which embassy did you send your documents to?

Rgajula

Sep 25, 2023

Timeline:

How did you get dropbox eligibility? is it due to you mentioned you are staying in Canada or is it due to PR?

JenmamX

Oct 4, 2023
How did you get dropbox eligibility? is it due to you mentioned you are staying in Canada or is it due to PR?
Both. You need to be PR of canada and currently residing in canada. (Although, I do not think you need to have a signed lease in your name - just that you reside in canada. You probably can provide your friends/family's address to serve a purpose. not sure)

JenmamX

Oct 4, 2023
**UPDATED** Here is my experience so far - To whomsoever it may benefit:

Timeline:

Sep 25: H1b approval copy delivered to my address (Stupid that I am, waited until this date to request an appointment at the consulate unaware of the 'virtual waiting queue' nonsense) - so paid the fee and and requested interview waiver appointment on this day at US consulate of Ottawa.

Oct 11 - 11:45am: Sent all documents via Canada post to consulate of Ottawa.

Oct 20: Document sent my way (intimated via courier tracking number) with October 23rd delivery date.

Rgajula

Sep 25, 2023
Both. You need to be PR of canada and currently residing in canada. (Although, I do not think you need to have a signed lease in your name - just that you reside in canada. You probably can provide your friends/family's address to serve a purpose. not sure)
Thanks, I resides in canada but on work permit, not sure whether I am eligible for drop box or not? For in person interview waiting time is too long, is it same case for the folks who stays in canada also ? or they will have less waiting time

Takita

May 12, 2021
Thanks, I resides in canada but on work permit, not sure whether I am eligible for drop box or not? For in person interview waiting time is too long, is it same case for the folks who stays in canada also ? or they will have less waiting time
work permit holders also eligible for dropbox but you will know while scheduling appointment after answering all questions anyway.

Rgajula

Sep 25, 2023
work permit holders also eligible for dropbox but you will know while scheduling appointment after answering all questions anyway.
Thank you , I meet all other required criteria but someone in this group has mentioned the drop box facility is only for PR candidates, hence checking.

Aug 23, 2022
Anyone with recent H1B dropbox experience with the Toronto embassy, can you please share your timelines? I have sent mine early this month and waiting with no update other than "Received", my start date is a very near and the wait is making me nervous.

Last edited:

Elele2404

Oct 25, 2023
i have submit my passport for a visa stamping (B1/B2 dropbox) at the consular of Ottawa since september 13th. Still hasn't received any answer. Does anyone experiencing this delay?