+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B dropbox Canada

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
I dont know the exact timelines for drop box applications this year. From other threads, it seems to be taking 5-6+ weeks in Canada.
Yes surely you should depart US only after getting appointment slot. If not you cant return back soon since no one knows how long it will take to get the stamping done without upfront appointment. But you may be eligible for dropbox in Canada too(but you will know for sure only after you start applying on website).
Thank you for clarifying.

Yes, I believe we might be eligible for dropbox in Canada as well since we have our PR cards and have a previous US visa.

We'll have to depart US and travel to India, but still trying to figure out the dropbox process in Canada. @kris72, could you please chime in on how the general availability is for finding dropbox appointments in Canada and what the timeline would potentially look like?

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
@harirajmohan Couple of questions. 1. While filling out the DS-160, for the address of my permanent residence if I provide Indian address and temporary residence the US address, do you think I will be eligible for drop-off? I'm thinking one of them has to be Canadian address, to be eligible for drop box. If I do this Indian/US address, the system might suggest I schedule an appointment in Canada, rather than a drop box. Your thoughts?
2. To your earlier point and the link you provided of Canadian post, the Canadian Drivers license only suggest ID and not residence proof. (so does PR card) However, the post office in which my relative inquired suggested any ID that has both the photo and address provided in DS-160 (even if it were to be US address) is OK to pick up the passport. How do the post office official know which address has been provided in DS-160? If sufficient ID is not provided they will return the passport to the consulate.

Hello,

Were you able to get a dropbox appointment? I have completed landing in Canada and only have stamped COPR. However, I'm currently back in USA.
I have things like Canada heath Card, lease agreement in Canada etc. My spouse and kid stay in Canada. My client in the USA is okay about me working from Canada for maybe like 2 months. So for dropbox since its taking 4-6 weeks, I should be good with that timeline.

Do I qualify as a Canadian resident ? Anyone else who got dropbox appointment from USA ?

If dropbox doesnot work smoothly, will I be stuck in Canada or are there any options to get a faster stamping ?
Any thoughts @harirajmohan sir?

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello,

Were you able to get a dropbox appointment? I have completed landing in Canada and only have stamped COPR. However, I'm currently back in USA.
I have things like Canada heath Card, lease agreement in Canada etc. My spouse and kid stay in Canada. My client in the USA is okay about me working from Canada for maybe like 2 months. So for dropbox since its taking 4-6 weeks, I should be good with that timeline.

Do I qualify as a Canadian resident ? Anyone else who got dropbox appointment from USA ?

If dropbox doesnot work smoothly, will I be stuck in Canada or are there any options to get a faster stamping ?
Any thoughts @harirajmohan sir?
Since your family stays here i think you can mention as resident. if asked tell that you travel for assignments which are of little lengthier sometimes etc.
There is no appointment for dropbox. You just need to mail original passport and copies of other necessary documents to consulate.
If stamping is not going smoothly you cant go to US but surely you can travel anywhere else.

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
Since your family stays here i think you can mention as resident. if asked tell that you travel for assignments which are of little lengthier sometimes etc.
There is no appointment for dropbox. You just need to mail original passport and copies of other necessary documents to consulate.
If stamping is not going smoothly you cant go to US but surely you can travel anywhere else.
Thanks for your response.
So if the dropbox doesn't go smoothly in Canada or if they ask to come for in person, then maybe I can go to India, where I can still try for dropbox.

Is there a success story who recently got dropbox done in Canada. Preferably someone who just had stamped COPR

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks for your response.
So if the dropbox doesn't go smoothly in Canada or if they ask to come for in person, then maybe I can go to India, where I can still try for dropbox.

Is there a success story who recently got dropbox done in Canada. Preferably someone who just had stamped COPR
Seems you are overthinking on it. Just submit the passport and wait.
You cant handle and prepare for scenarios which you dont know about.

You cant apply multiple places just because you didnt get stamping at one place(during denied scenario).

Asking for appearing for interview is not same as dropbox didnt go smoothly. Its common for being asked for interview as they are just addicted to interview and cant resist call few people for interview. Consulars cant tell horoscope by calling candidates instead of simply asking for all documents they need or they should simply send video call. what to do - we cant do much as its their wish.

There is no relation between stamping while not having pr card and having pr card. Some consulars just know mostly on pr card hence asking only for pr card for knowing the pr status inside Canada but you can explain that you havent applied(or you lost it) and produce only copr. This is non issue.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

pawal3

Jul 9, 2019
Hello All,

I am canadian pr. Right now i m in india and submitted ds 160 for New delhi, India but not getting any slots in India. I will make up my mind to come back to Canada and do dropbox over there. I have couple of questions:

1. Can i use same ds 160 which i submiited already for New delhi? Can i use same for canada also?
2. Is dropbox applicable for us consulates Toronto/Ottawa or Ottawa only?
3. Can i eligible for dropbox?

Please answer my queries.
1. Can i use same ds 160 which i submiited already for New delhi? Can i use same for canada also?No, you have to submit new DS 160 and pay fees.
2. Is dropbox applicable for us consulates Toronto/Ottawa or Ottawa only?All consulates except Montreal, I believe.
3. Can i eligible for dropbox?Yes, but looking at the current processing times I would not recommend. its approx 8 weeks at Toronto consulate.

PARORA1991

Jun 30, 2019
@harirajmohan Hi, I will appreciate if you can help me sort these querries:
1.I have an appointment in India for first time H1 b in November, but now i need to travel to India in August. I cannot work from home for more than 2 months. I was thinking if I am eigible for dropbox in Canada or not, given that its my first time h1 b stamping with last visa stamped in India.

2. Another thought that comes to my mind is, if i go to Canada for stamping and it did not work out for any reason, will I be able to come back to US using the automatic visa revalidation, given that my application has been scheduled already in India for November ?
Thank you so much.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@harirajmohan Hi, I will appreciate if you can help me sort these querries:
1.I have an appointment in India for first time H1 b in November, but now i need to travel to India in August. I cannot work from home for more than 2 months. I was thinking if I am eigible for dropbox in Canada or not, given that its my first time h1 b stamping with last visa stamped in India.

2. Another thought that comes to my mind is, if i go to Canada for stamping and it did not work out for any reason, will I be able to come back to US using the automatic visa revalidation, given that my application has been scheduled already in India for November ?
Thank you so much.
Stamping in Canada: AVR is not to be used if in case you dont get the stamp. You need to go to India from Canada directly without going via US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html
he following temporary visitors whose nonimmigrant visas have expired, but who have a valid admission stamp or paper Form I-94, must reapply for and be issued nonimmigrant visas prior to their reentry to the United States, if one or more of the following situations exists (this is not a complete listing):

The nonimmigrant traveler with an expired nonimmigrant visa (but valid admission stamp or paper Form I-94):
  • Applied for a new visa which has not yet been issued;
  • Applied for a new visa and was denied;
  • Has been outside of the United States for more than thirty days;

PARORA1991

Jun 30, 2019
yes, You are right. I somehow skipped these details. Thanks for information.
So will I be eligible for dropbox in Canada for firts time stamping ?

mandy3012

Apr 27, 2022
Do we know how long it’s taking for the passport to come back recently at Toronto for Dropbox facility?
My recent experience:
Passport submitted : July 10th
Passport delivered : July 11th
Admin processing : Aug 3rd
Issued : Aug 4th
Ready for Pick up : Aug 6

mandy3012

Apr 27, 2022
Stamping in Canada: AVR is not to be used if in case you dont get the stamp. You need to go to India from Canada directly without going via US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html
he following temporary visitors whose nonimmigrant visas have expired, but who have a valid admission stamp or paper Form I-94, must reapply for and be issued nonimmigrant visas prior to their reentry to the United States, if one or more of the following situations exists (this is not a complete listing):

The nonimmigrant traveler with an expired nonimmigrant visa (but valid admission stamp or paper Form I-94):
  • Applied for a new visa which has not yet been issued;
  • Applied for a new visa and was denied;
  • Has been outside of the United States for more than thirty days;
@harirajmohan Related question to the above situation if you can provide your inputs pls.
SO my friend (PR holder) arrived in Canada from US on Aug 10th, since they qualified for interview waiver. Submitted their passport for H1B stamping that was received on Aug 12th. Today they got an email that they will have to come in for an interview, but interview dates are not available. His passport will come back in couple days. SO can he use AVR to go back to the USA before Sept 10th?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@harirajmohan Related question to the above situation if you can provide your inputs pls.
SO my friend (PR holder) arrived in Canada from US on Aug 10th, since they qualified for interview waiver. Submitted their passport for H1B stamping that was received on Aug 12th. Today they got an email that they will have to come in for an interview, but interview dates are not available. His passport will come back in couple days. SO can he use AVR to go back to the USA before Sept 10th?
Sending documents for drop box is same as appearing for interview which is nothing but applied for visa(but pending decision).
I am sure there will be log in the system as applied for visa(even if ds160 is not marked as processing). So i wouldnt risk crossing the border.

Thats why one should only try with confirmed appointment in third country(other than resident country and passport country). One should totally avoid dropbox opportunity in Canada if they are not resident.

LuckyS

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
I am a PR holder currently residing in the USA and got H1B. I tried to book an appointment and while answering questions, I choose already in Canada(but I am still in the USA), so I immediately got the instructions to submit the documents. How soon do I need to submit them? Is there any timeline or expiry time?

What all documents do we need to send? Are we supposed to send the Original or only Copy of them?

I choose Toronto Dropbox but can I send the documents from Vancouver? Whats the current timeline for the entire process?

Thanks