+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B Dropbox at Vancouver - Timeline & Experience

kris72

Mar 17, 2015
Thought it might be helpful for someone who might be in similar situation and posting my timeline and recent experience with H1B dropbox at Vancouver consulate. Just a little bit of background I have been on H1B for over 6 years and had to move to Canada sometime ago as my role got transferred. I am a Canadian PR and since my role is now being moved back to US I ended up applying for H1B via dropbox (This seems to be an option for Canadian PR holders with any prior visa issued in any class after 2008).

Here goes my timeline:

04/25/2022 - Dropped off passport and other documents at nearest Canada Post asper instructions.
04/26/2022 - Canada Post status said delivered.
05/03/2022 - CEAC case status changed to "Application Received"
05/04/2022 - Case status updated to "Refused" with bunch of text mentioning it might need additional processing and so on. Received email from consular officer that they would need a copy of PR card and instructed me to email the document front/back. I actually submitted my application with landing document since my PR card has expired few months ago and original instructions didn't really ask for PR card in specific rather it mentioned "Proof of legal status in Canada". I was in an assumption that since my card expired though Landing document would just be Ok. But I guess not. Anyways sent them copy of PR Card and AOR of New PR card renewal that applied.
05/16/2022 - Received acknowledgement email from consular office that documents have been received and will be sent to officer for further processing.
05/17/2022 - Status updated to "Admin Processing"
05/18/2022 - Status updated to "Issued" and received Shipment notification

If I had sent the PR card copy in first place it might have been faster but mehh that ended up adding couple more weeks. I have had my last two H1B stampings done in Vancouver Consulate (in person at that time) since I became a PR while ago.

Reactions: iceman55

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
@kris72 Thanks for posting your experience. I am currently living in the US but hold a Canadian PR. Since the H1B visa appointment availability is several months out in India, I am planning to come to Canada for availing drop box facility. Have a few questions from DS-160 perspective.
1. For permanent address, I intend to give the Indian address on my passport and temporary/current address the US residence. Do you think I will be eligible for drop box. As mentioned previously I hold the Canadian PR and my intention is to come to Canada next month, stay for a few days at my relatives and get this stamping done.
2. While picking up the passport from Canada post, can I show them the PR card and get the passport or does it have to be PR+bank statement/lease agreement?

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
@kris72 Thanks for posting your experience. I am currently living in the US but hold a Canadian PR. Since the H1B visa appointment availability is several months out in India, I am planning to come to Canada for availing drop box facility. Have a few questions from DS-160 perspective.
1. For permanent address, I intend to give the Indian address on my passport and temporary/current address the US residence. Do you think I will be eligible for drop box. As mentioned previously I hold the Canadian PR and my intention is to come to Canada next month, stay for a few days at my relatives and get this stamping done.
2. While picking up the passport from Canada post, can I show them the PR card and get the passport or does it have to be PR+bank statement/lease agreement?
Btw one more question.
3. Could you select the consulate to which you would send the passport via drop box or was Vancouver the only option for you? Assuming you selected say Vancouver while submitting your DS-160, could you have chosen to send your passport to Toronto for drop box?

kris72

Mar 17, 2015
Here's my take on this....
1. As far as I know its fine with Indian and US addresses on DS160. Have done that with my previous stampings in Vancouver. But for pickup of passport from Canada Post Office make sure to give your same address on US Drivers License as they are pretty strict about matching the address on ID you show.
As long as you are a PR and able to submit a copy of PR Card you should be fine.
2. No, they will need valid DL or a government ID with address on it. As far as I know they don't take bank statements or Lease documents to validate address. At least this was my understanding.
Other option I believe you have an option to choose premium delivery after the fees has been paid so you can get it shipped to local Canadian Address.

Last edited:

kris72

Mar 17, 2015
Btw one more question.
3. Could you select the consulate to which you would send the passport via drop box or was Vancouver the only option for you? Assuming you selected say Vancouver while submitting your DS-160, could you have chosen to send your passport to Toronto for drop box?
You can choose any location but make sure you fill DS160 accordingly as you will need to decide on location where you would like to submit while starting your DS160

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
You can choose any location but make sure you fill DS160 accordingly as you will need to decide on location where you would like to submit while starting your DS160
Thanks for your response. Just for clarification. I plan to stay with my relatives in Toronto area, but heard the processing time for drop box at Toronto consulate is approximately 4-6 weeks. Since Ottawa seem to be 3-5weeks, thinking of sending the passport to Ottawa embassy. I am yet to create DS-160, so want to know if I select Ottawa, can I send it to Ottawa or since my Canadian stay will be in GTA and passport pickup at Canada post in GTA am I better off shipping to Toronto consulate instead?

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
Here's my take on this....
1. As far as I know its fine with Indian and US addresses on DS160. Have done that with my previous stampings in Vancouver. But for pickup of passport from Canada Post Office make sure to give your same address on US Drivers License as they are pretty strict about matching the address on ID you show.
As long as you are a PR and able to submit a copy of PR Card you should be fine.
2. No, they will need valid DL or a government ID with address on it. As far as I know they don't take bank statements or Lease documents to validate address. At least this was my understanding.
Other option I believe you have an option to choose premium delivery after the fees has been paid so you can get it shipped to local Canadian Address.
Ok thanks for clarification. So there is no option of picking it directly from consulate? Either need to pay more and get it delivered or pickup from Canada Post by showing my US DL.

kris72

Mar 17, 2015
Thanks for your response. Just for clarification. I plan to stay with my relatives in Toronto area, but heard the processing time for drop box at Toronto consulate is approximately 4-6 weeks. Since Ottawa seem to be 3-5weeks, thinking of sending the passport to Ottawa embassy. I am yet to create DS-160, so want to know if I select Ottawa, can I send it to Ottawa or since my Canadian stay will be in GTA and passport pickup at Canada post in GTA am I better off shipping to Toronto consulate instead?
Well the processing time seems to be standard text 4-6 weeks across Canada as I remember seeing same text at the time of my submission at Vancouver but I guess it really changes on which consulate is processing faster based on their staffing capacity and amount of applications that are coming through. Once you choose Ottawa you should get instructions on how you can courier your documents. Usually they generate a Canada Post Shipping label that you can take it to Canada Post and drop it off at no extra cost or give you a specific shipping address if you wish to use any different courier service and ship at your own cost. This was the case for Vancouver and I am assuming will be same for other locations as well.

Last edited:

kris72

Mar 17, 2015
Ok thanks for clarification. So there is no option of picking it directly from consulate? Either need to pay more and get it delivered or pickup from Canada Post by showing my US DL.
Yeah I don't think they are doing this anymore. At least Vancouver didn't have this option. Either you get it delivered with premium service to your location or pick it up at Canada Post location with DL. If you choose pickup at the time of application completion it gives you options for locations typically I believe they are close by consulate.

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
Yeah I don't think they are doing this anymore. At least Vancouver didn't have this option. Either you get it delivered with premium service to your location or pick it up at Canada Post location with DL. If you choose pickup at the time of application completion it gives you options for locations typically I believe they are close by consulate.
Thanks @kris72 Can you please briefly summarize the documents sent to US consulate?
I have the following.
1. Approved I-797
2. Original Passport
3. Photocopy of PR Card
4. Most recent PayStub
5. Two US Visa Photos (2inX2in)

kris72

Mar 17, 2015
Thanks @kris72 Can you please briefly summarize the documents sent to US consulate?
I have the following.
1. Approved I-797
2. Original Passport
3. Photocopy of PR Card
4. Most recent PayStub
These were the instructions I was given. I believe they are pretty standard for all drop box applications. Apart from these sent copy of LCA and Offer Letter. I don't think they are needed but I just added them since I had them from my employer.

General Required Documents - For All Visa Types The following documents are required for all visa types:
1. Current Passport valid for travel to the United States. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the United States.
2. Passport containing the most recently issued U.S. visa (if applicable).
3. Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
4. Confirmation and Instructions page printed from this website
5. One 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches) color photo taken within the last 6 months.
6. Accompanying family members, unless entering the United States for another purpose, should present a marriage certificate (spouse) and/or birth certificate (for unmarried children under 21), as applicable.
7. Copy of proof of your legal status in Canada

ripster85

Star Member
Sep 9, 2019
I have the following.
1. Approved I-797
2. Original Passport
3. Photocopy of PR Card
4. Most recent PayStub
I think they clearly say do not send anything extra, so i would avoid adding paystubs if they have not asked for it

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
@kris72 @ripster85 Thanks guys. I am currently in the US and plan to enter Canada in a couple of weeks and then submit DS-160 to complete drop box procedure. Do you think I better stick to this plan or is there any benefit of me completing everything (submit DS-160, ensure drop box eligibility, print out everything) from the US and the only thing remaining would be to stop by Canada Post after crossing the border?

kris72

Mar 17, 2015
@kris72 @ripster85 Thanks guys. I am currently in the US and plan to enter Canada in a couple of weeks and then submit DS-160 to complete drop box procedure. Do you think I better stick to this plan or is there any benefit of me completing everything (submit DS-160, ensure drop box eligibility, print out everything) from the US and the only thing remaining would be to stop by Canada Post after crossing the border?
It shouldn't really matter much but yeah filling everything and getting confirmation right before travel sounds like a good plan.