+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guidance needed urgently!

Mowgli

Feb 4, 2014
Hello everybody,

I completed a 1 year PG program from GBC Toronto (Jan - Dec 2013)and at the end of the course, I had to go back to India due to personal reasons and health issues. My study permit expires on March 13th 2014, i.e. next month and although I have completed all my coursework, I am yet to receive my PG certificate; which might be within one week to 10 days.

I urgently need your replies on the following questions :

1) Do I still have a chance to get back to Toronto and apply for the 1 year Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) that I am eligible for... by default?

2) CIC rules states that one needs to have a valid study permit and apply before 30 days of visa expiry which means that I have to be in Canada by 10th of February and apply on the day I land. Is there any other option to extend the time limit? I had a genuine reason to go back.

3) Can I apply for the work permit from India if I cannot get back on or before 10th of Feb?

4) OR is there a possibility to get a Temporary Resident visa and Study permit extension in order to apply for the PGWP?

5) Most importantly, will I be permitted to enter Canada as some of my friends said that the officer at the airport might deny my entry since I have completed my studies and my visa expires on March 13th?

6) If all else fails, what are my alternative options to get a work permit and a PR if I apply from India? How long will it take and which province has a high success rate?

My profile details are as follows:

-I have 8+ years of work exp in the IT industry (in India) as a Business Analyst
-My Academic IELTS score was R-8.5|W-8.0| L-8.5|S-8.5| with Overall band score: 8.5
-I can read, write and speak French and have completed A2 Level from Alliance Francasie.
-My overall GPA in the PG course is around 3.5 out of 4.0
-I have a 3 year BCA degree.

Eagerly awaiting guidance/advice from one and all at the earliest!
Best Regards,
Mow

Mowgli

Feb 4, 2014
Thanks for your prompt reply Regina,

Here is my situation: I perused the CIC website under the "extend/renew your study permit" section...but I still do not have a clear picture.

a) Will I get an extension if I apply for another course, maybe a 3 month certification course from some other college, so that I can get back to Toronto and thereby have sufficient time to apply for the PGWP?

b) Can I apply for an extension online from India or do I need to be in Canada during the processing?

Kindly help me out.

Warm regards!

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I perused the CIC website under the "extend/renew your study permit" section...
Good.

Will I get an extension if I apply for another course, maybe a 3 month certification course from some other college, so that I can get back to Toronto and thereby have sufficient time to apply for the PGWP?
Will not help.

b) Can I apply for an extension online from India or do I need to be in Canada during the processing?
Why did not you apply for extetion or at least on December 1, 2013? Why did not you THINK FIRST think hwo you will go back and THEN leave Canada?

I do not see how you can get back or extend your study permit being outside of Canada.
However, you MAY apply for your PGWP
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

Mowgli

Feb 4, 2014
Thanks for your help Regina.

I did circumspect my options before leaving and had a discussion about this with the officials at the international student centre, GBC. They said that I am not allowed to start the application process and go outside Canada but can come back and apply for the work permit before my existing visa expires. I guess I was misguided.

I am a bit hesitant to post all the details of my situation in a public forum. I would be happy to share the details via email if it helps in making it easier for experts like yourself (or anybody who reads this) to guide me further? This is my email: coffee[dot]on[dot]an[dot]iv@gmail[dot]com.

I have invested a lot of time, effort and money to study in Canada and I would be truly grateful if I can get a chance to work there for a year and finish what I started.

Forgive me for asking redundant questions: Can I apply for the PG work permit outside Canada?

Please condone my ignorance and kindly advise.

Regards.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can I apply for the PG work permit outside Canada?
Yes you can.

You do noy need to share your name, addresses, phone numbers and so on. But other than that- without some details nobody can get a proper picture of you situation and look into in. Each case is different, and the devil is in the details.

GoldenLine

Sep 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mowgli said:
Hello everybody,

I completed a 1 year PG program from GBC Toronto (Jan - Dec 2013)and at the end of the course, I had to go back to India due to personal reasons and health issues. My study permit expires on March 13th 2014, i.e. next month and although I have completed all my coursework, I am yet to receive my PG certificate; which might be within one week to 10 days.

I urgently need your replies on the following questions :

1) Do I still have a chance to get back to Toronto and apply for the 1 year Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) that I am eligible for... by default?

2) CIC rules states that one needs to have a valid study permit and apply before 30 days of visa expiry which means that I have to be in Canada by 10th of February and apply on the day I land. Is there any other option to extend the time limit? I had a genuine reason to go back.

3) Can I apply for the work permit from India if I cannot get back on or before 10th of Feb?

4) OR is there a possibility to get a Temporary Resident visa and Study permit extension in order to apply for the PGWP?

5) Most importantly, will I be permitted to enter Canada as some of my friends said that the officer at the airport might deny my entry since I have completed my studies and my visa expires on March 13th?

6) If all else fails, what are my alternative options to get a work permit and a PR if I apply from India? How long will it take and which province has a high success rate?

My profile details are as follows:

-I have 8+ years of work exp in the IT industry (in India) as a Business Analyst
-My Academic IELTS score was R-8.5|W-8.0| L-8.5|S-8.5| with Overall band score: 8.5
-I can read, write and speak French and have completed A2 Level from Alliance Francasie.
-My overall GPA in the PG course is around 3.5 out of 4.0
-I have a 3 year BCA degree.

Eagerly awaiting guidance/advice from one and all at the earliest!
Best Regards,
Mow
Mowgli

I think you should just get on a plane and go asap before 10 Feb and send out your application for work permit. You still have the time dude--don't waste asking and waiting for no reason when you already know you gotta do this before 30 days of your visa expiry date.

Good luck and safe travels.

maximin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Mowgli,

Do not waste your time, you can start your online application for PGWP right now:

1. Fill the form
2. Upload photo
3. Upload passport pages
4. Upload study permit

Your main goal is to come back to Canada asap, receive your certificate (or letter or transcripts) and submit your application before your study permit will get expired.

If your application is submitted while study permit is valid, you are safe. It does not matter if it expires before your PGWP is issued. They call it implied status.

However, to make sure I suggest call to CIC 1-888-242-2100 and ask about your situation.
(I called them yesterday afternoon and they replied after 15 minutes waiting).

Good luck. :)

Mowgli

Feb 4, 2014
Thanks again Regina.

Thank you very much, GoldenLine and maximin for your valuable inputs. I will call up CIC immediately and get back to you guys. I have blocked a ticket for the 10th.

I appreciate all the help!
Regards.