+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Green card holder applying for Canadian Citizenship

gazastrip

Mar 17, 2014
Toronto, ON
Does anyone have any experience with applying for Canadian Citizenship while also having a Green Card?

My wife recently got her Green Card through me (I work in the US/am a Canadian Citizen). She has more than enough days of residency in Canada with the new 3/5 rules (1,300+ days) and still has not moved to the US as we just got her approval last month.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who went through this.

Thanks in advance

saeedar

Star Member
Oct 7, 2012
Hi there,
I am in the same situation as your wife. I am wondering if your wife applied for Canada citizenship and if she was questioned about her Green Card.
Could you please share your experience with me?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
She will be asked to declare any "immigration status" she might have in another country on her application for Canadian citizenship. Having a US green card has in the past been grounds for increased scrutiny of one's application, in particular residency declarations. It was a particular problem when there was a requirement to have a residential intentions in Canada during the processing period. IRCC is likely concerned about a potential conflict in residency obligations when having immigration status in more than one country. However, in the OP's case, as long as his wife meets the requirements for Canadian citizenship, there isn't really much IRCC can do in regards to the US green card. Even if she were to leave Canada and reside with him in the US, she couldn't lose her Canadian PR status, as he is a Canadian citizen. While I imagine it could delay processing and there might be questioning about the green card, it ultimately seems a non issue.

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
Even if she were to leave Canada and reside with him in the US, she couldn't lose her Canadian PR status, as he is a Canadian citizen. While I imagine it could delay processing and there might be questioning about the green card, it ultimately seems a non issue.
If she does NOT become a Canadian citizen, she will need to fulfill the requirements of her Canadian permanent residency, regardless of her husband's status. She must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. That being said, if the OP and his spouse will be in the States for an extended period, but intend to return to Canada, then it makes sense to apply for citizenship now. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If she does NOT become a Canadian citizen, she will need to fulfill the requirements of her Canadian permanent residency, regardless of her husband's status. She must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. That being said, if the OP and his spouse will be in the States for an extended period, but intend to return to Canada, then it makes sense to apply for citizenship now. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
A Canadian PR accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse abroad meets the RO as long as they are sharing a bona fide residence abroad. At least that is how it used to be, they didn't go and change the law on me did they?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with applying for Canadian Citizenship while also having a Green Card?

My wife recently got her Green Card through me (I work in the US/am a Canadian Citizen). She has more than enough days of residency in Canada with the new 3/5 rules (1,300+ days) and still has not moved to the US as we just got her approval last month.

Thanks in advance
Should have applied before she got the approval notice of green card... however, if it was just an approval notice but hasn’t been finalized (e.g. if one gets the PR approval notice but hasn’t landed), then she can probably still claim ‘no other immigration status’ at the time of submitting her citizenship application ... just a speculation...

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017

Thanks in advance
Did you apply for the citizenship? If you did, did you hear anything from IRCC?
I have PR status in another country as well. I got IP on Nov 14, but have not received my test invitation yet.

Vicky333

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
I also have PR status in another country. But I am living in Canada - and all my tax returns show that I work here - so it didn't seem to be an issue for my application.
Yes, I declared it, and included a copy of the card, but was not questioned about it in my interview (even though I expected it!)

mia.tx.00

Nov 25, 2017
@Vicky333 which city was your interview conducted.

I also have PR status in another country. But I am living in Canada - and all my tax returns show that I work here - so it didn't seem to be an issue for my application.
Yes, I declared it, and included a copy of the card, but was not questioned about it in my interview (even though I expected it!)

saeedar

Star Member
Oct 7, 2012
With new citizenship rule started last November, it should not be a problem because one must not prove the intention of staying in Canada.
However I think they will be more strict about green card holders.

gazastrip

Mar 17, 2014
Toronto, ON
Hi guys - my wife did her exam and interview last week. I'm not sure if it was because of the GC - but while she awaited to take the exam, they sent her a letter to do the fingerprints for further security clearance.

In the interview, they did dwell on the GC questions initially as they were wondering how she will maintain residence requirements in both the US and Canada however the officer quickly remembered that she is applying for citizenship and not renewing her PR card and stopped that line of questioning.

The other questions then focused on me and how I will maintain residence between both places and my wife explained that I'm already a Canadian citizen and received by GC after I became a citizen. So the officer quickly erased the notes she was taking about the topic and moved on to other simple questions. Overall was around a 10 minute interview - at the end of which the officer told her that everything looks in order and that she should receive her letter for the oath in the next couple of months.

I was worried about it but it really ended up being a non-factor in the interview especially given the amount of days my wife already has in Canada. @links18 is correct in that they really didn't care so long as she met the requirements of the physical days. We were up front in our application and disclosed everything and provided photocopies of the green cards etc.

Good luck!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Hi guys - my wife did her exam and interview last week. I'm not sure if it was because of the GC - but while she awaited to take the exam, they sent her a letter to do the fingerprints for further security clearance.

In the interview, they did dwell on the GC questions initially as they were wondering how she will maintain residence requirements in both the US and Canada however the officer quickly remembered that she is applying for citizenship and not renewing her PR card and stopped that line of questioning.

The other questions then focused on me and how I will maintain residence between both places and my wife explained that I'm already a Canadian citizen and received by GC after I became a citizen. So the officer quickly erased the notes she was taking about the topic and moved on to other simple questions. Overall was around a 10 minute interview - at the end of which the officer told her that everything looks in order and that she should receive her letter for the oath in the next couple of months.

I was worried about it but it really ended up being a non-factor in the interview especially given the amount of days my wife already has in Canada. @links18 is correct in that they really didn't care so long as she met the requirements of the physical days. We were up front in our application and disclosed everything and provided photocopies of the green cards etc.

Good luck!
Sounds like your wife was able to diffuse whatever concerns they had.

saeedar

Star Member
Oct 7, 2012

Good luck!
Thank you for the update!