+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Great news for CEC Applicants - OPEN Work Permits now available

Van2012

Jan 2, 2013
Cos said:
The BOWP application has to be submitted by the principal PR applicant. If you are the principal applicant in your PR application, then you can definitely include your wife in the application BOWP.
hi guys

I have a question.

My spouse is the primary applicant on PR application.
Can I apply for BOWP for me (as my WP is expiring 3 months before my spouse) only or i can apply only when I and my spouse applying together

Please help.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
Van2012 said:
hi guys

I have a question.

My spouse is the primary applicant on PR application.
Can I apply for BOWP for me (as my WP is expiring 3 months before my spouse) only or i can apply only when I and my spouse applying together

Please help.
As long as you already have your AOR, you should be fine.

Van2012

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks Shells,

I was also thinking same but then i found following discussion on the same thread.
It confused me totally.

jangad said:
Hi,

My wife has applied for a Open Bridging Work Permit and she is not the Principal applicant. She just called CIC to check the status of her application and was informed that the application is still in process, due to the lack of information if the spouse is eligible for BOWP, she asked the agent to confirm, and the agent said she is not eligible for BOWP. This is so frustating ,before applying we were told by CIC that spouse is also eligible.Is anyone else in a similar situation or have any answers.Some thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
Van2012 said:
Thanks Shells,

I was also thinking same but then i found following discussion on the same thread.
It confused me totally.
Hmm.. I'm not sure then. You should email your situation to the CIC and ask them (I normally call first, but if I dont feel confident in the agent's answer, I will email again since I express myself better in writing)

When is your spouse's wp expiring? If they are only a few months apart from another, then you could wait till the very day she falls within that "4 months period" to send in your BOWP application together. It sounds risky, but even if you send in your application one week prior to your expiration (but send it by express post, so that they will get it the next day), you will be fine (because you will then automatically fall under the "Implied Status" status) - which means you can continue to work under the same current situation. There is no need to take any actions after that.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
This is what I got from one of the agents about "implied status". I wouldn't wait till the last day, but one week prior to expiry would still be fine.

Implied Status - Temporary Residents

As a temporary resident, if you send your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada at the latest on the expiry date of your status, you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an Implied Status

If you hold a work permit or a study permit, you can continue working or studying under the conditions of your previous permit if you have applied to extend your stay in Canada under the same category. However, if you have applied to extend your stay under another category, you must stop working or studying.

If you leave Canada while under implied status, you may be authorized to:
re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, if the responsible office has not yet made a decision on your application to extend your work permit. Please note that you will not be permitted to work/study until you receive your new permit. You must satisfy the officer at the port of entry that you have sufficient means of support. This applies if you:
are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt;
held a valid multiple-entry visa before leaving Canada; or
travelled only to the *United States and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it;
re-enter Canada as a worker/student, if the officer at the port of entry determines that your application to extend your work/study permit was approved by the CPC while you were outside Canada;
or

apply for a new work/study permit at the port of entry provided you have the right to do so under the Regulations.
For more information on implied status, please consult the Operational Manual – Overseas Processing (OP 11) – section 24.

green_dc

Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-03-2013
shells said:
Yes, it's for one year.

Guys, don't forget to renew your SIN card after you get your wp later. It completely slipped my mind. Luckily I sent it to my HR and she asked me about it.

Thanks shells.

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
green_dc said:
Thanks shells.
Same with your health card. Here in Ontario the OHIP card expires the same day as your work permit.

stanline06

Mar 29, 2013
Hello Shells,

Could you mind to share how it look inside your AOR? Actully I am not sure if the one I got is the right AOR. I applied my BOWP on Feb 9th, and got a refusal lettery on Mar 27 state that:

"This letter refers to your application for Work Permit.
Your application as requested is refused.
After considering all the circumstances of your case, your application for a work permit cannot
be approved as requested without a valid Labour Market Opinion and Confirmation from Human
Resources and Skills Development Canada. Your prospective employer is responsible for obtaining this confirmation.

I am not sure why I got refused. I am holding a 3yr PGWP which expired Apr 6, 2013. And I sent my CEC application on Oct 15, and received AOR Dec 4. Also for sure I stay in Canada. I think I meet all the requirement. The only thing I can think of is maybe mine is not the right AOR or they thought I am applying the regualr work permit? I am not sure what should I do now? Should I resubmit open work permit with explaintion letter (which I dont first time, but I choose open work permit in the section)? Or should I apply LMO and submit regular work permit? But is it enough time to apply now since my work permit expired on Apr 6, 2013? Or should I apply vistor visa or Restoration of status? Any suggestion? PLEASE HELP ME.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
stanline06 said:
Hello Shells,

Could you mind to share how it look inside your AOR? Actully I am not sure if the one I got is the right AOR. I applied my BOWP on Feb 9th, and got a refusal lettery on Mar 27 state that:

After considering all the circumstances of your case, your application for a work permit cannot
be approved as requested without a valid Labour Market Opinion and Confirmation from Human
Resources and Skills Development Canada. Your prospective employer is responsible for obtaining this confirmation.

I am not sure why I got refused. I am holding a 3yr PGWP which expired Apr 6, 2013. And I sent my CEC application on Oct 15, and received AOR Dec 4. Also for sure I stay in Canada. I think I meet all the requirement. The only thing I can think of is maybe mine is not the right AOR or they thought I am applying the regualr work permit? I am not sure what should I do now? Should I resubmit open work permit with explaintion letter (which I dont first time, but I choose open work permit in the section)? Or should I apply LMO and submit regular work permit? But is it enough time to apply now since my work permit expired on Apr 6, 2013? Or should I apply vistor visa or Restoration of status? Any suggestion? PLEASE HELP ME.
Is it April 6, 2013 or 2012? You still have time. It's only 29th March. If you read what I pasted about the Implied Status, you can still do if even on the very last day (but I won't do that myself personally). You got the correct AOR. Fill in your forms like you did the last time and reapply. Write an explanation letter. One extra thing I did was to print out a copy of my AOR and a copy of the bulletin on the CIC website of the BOWP, so the officer could clearly understand what I'm applying for. Did they refund you anything? Otherwise you will have to pay again online.

I did it by paper application (plus I also had my Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union) , sent in via express mail so they got it in 1 business day.

Good luck.

Forever Victory

Mar 7, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2013
Nomination.....
November 2013, by God's Grace
AOR Received.
11-06-2013
IELTS Request
IELTS submitted: 01-11-2013
Med's Request
Soon, in God's perfect time
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
June 2014 by God's Grace
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and is one of the pre 2008 backlog applicants wherein I filed my application for permanent residency since September 2005. Now CIC is going to refund us our application fees, but before anything else, I am so blessed to receive a job offer for a management position in Canada. I am now processing my papers for work visa.

My question is, how long should I work in Canada in order to be eligible for permanent residency application under the CEC. I suppose a management position is qualified for the said program. Also, may I ask if IELTS is still required if I apply for permanent residency under CEC.

Please guide me on the above. Your reply and help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Forever Victory said:
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and is one of the pre 2008 backlog applicants wherein I filed my application for permanent residency since September 2005. Now CIC is going to refund us our application fees, but before anything else, I am so blessed to receive a job offer for a management position in Canada. I am now processing my papers for work visa.

My question is, how long should I work in Canada in order to be eligible for permanent residency application under the CEC. I suppose a management position is qualified for the said program. Also, may I ask if IELTS is still required if I apply for permanent residency under CEC.

Please guide me on the above. Your reply and help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Forever Victory (ur id says it all!)

Firstly, congratulations. In current job market, its a little tough to get good jobs for people who are already here, so you getting it from overseas, is definitely a great news. Regarding the time required to work and become eligible for immigration. Now, it takes just 12 months, through CEC (experience class). I'm giving you the link below:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

IELTS is still required. Since you are in management position (skill 0 or A), you will require:

If you gained your skilled work experience in Canada in a NOC 0 or A job, you must meet the minimum level of CLB 7 in either English or French for all four language abilities.

And clb7 means - IELTS score of 6. You can check both of these info in the following link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/language.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/language-testing.asp

sara007

Jan 4, 2013
I still did not understand why did they rejected your BOWP..

Unless you filled the wrong forms or messed up something in documents !!

You are eligible and should get one. Recheck your documents you submitted, there must be some goof up.

stanline06 said:
Hello Shells,

stanline06

Mar 29, 2013
shells said:
Is it April 6, 2013 or 2012? You still have time. It's only 29th March. If you read what I pasted about the Implied Status, you can still do if even on the very last day (but I won't do that myself personally). You got the correct AOR. Fill in your forms like you did the last time and reapply. Write an explanation letter. One extra thing I did was to print out a copy of my AOR and a copy of the bulletin on the CIC website of the BOWP, so the officer could clearly understand what I'm applying for. Did they refund you anything? Otherwise you will have to pay again online.

I did it by paper application (plus I also had my Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union) , sent in via express mail so they got it in 1 business day.

Good luck.

Hello Shells,

Thanks for your reply. This time I think I better send them a copy of the bulletin as well. Also they didn't refund anything, I guess I have to pay one more time. :) Also you check my AOR in the other post and that's the one you post right?

stanline06

Mar 29, 2013
sara007 said:
I still did not understand why did they rejected your BOWP..

Unless you filled the wrong forms or messed up something in documents !!

You are eligible and should get one. Recheck your documents you submitted, there must be some goof up.
I am not sure why either. I am gonna do it again and double check. Thanks for your help.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
stanline06 said:
Hello Shells,

Thanks for your reply. This time I think I better send them a copy of the bulletin as well. Also they didn't refund anything, I guess I have to pay one more time. :) Also you check my AOR in the other post and that's the one you post right?
Well, if they didn't refund you anything, then yes, you have to pay one more time. In that case, it doesn't make any difference between applying online or applying by paper. I got an email from CIC saying they wanted to call me because I have a previous payment (that I had kept for my earlier application), so I could not apply online and they said I can only do it via paper. I didn't understand why, but nor did I rebuke.. just did it the way they asked me to. And I got it :)

Yes, that's the one I post.

And yes - please include copies of:

1) Letter of AOR
2) Copy of Bulletin (not neccessary, I think.. but no harm either)
3) Letter of Employment from your company or even your T4?
4) Last but not least, a well detailed explanation letter