+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got a PRTD on H&C grounds. What's next?!

Tony23

Oct 8, 2013
Hello everyone,

I happened to get my PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Document) on Humanitarian & Compassionate grounds but I really don't know/understand what is the next step. I also want to know what is the most appropriate thing to do?

At the embassy I was told (by the receptionist) that I would have to do the landing at my port of entry however I'm confused because when I first did the landing paper I was classified as an "immigrant" right now the PRTD says "Permanent Resident". Is this a different type of landing? What do I have to do at the Port of Entry?

On the other hand according to the CIC website once I'm in Canada I should apply for a PR Card. However they don't say what "in Canada" means: Is it at the port of entry? or at a local CIC office?

I'd like to point out that once I get to Canada I am not planning to leave at all for at least until I meet the residency obligations.

So... What do you guys think about my case?

Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
An H&C PRTD does three things.
1) It gets you onto the aircraft to fly to Canada.
2) It confirms to Immigration at the border that you have had your PR status confirmed by a visa office.
3) It allows you to apply for a PR card immediately without waiting for 2 years.

The PR card application forms are available on the CIC website. You complete them and post them from inside Canada after you have passed through the border.

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
I had the Travel Document issued to me as well, but mine was not based on H&C grounds. Should I still apply for a new PR even if I don't meet the requirements???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
meganpeter said:
I had the Travel Document issued to me as well, but mine was not based on H&C grounds. Should I still apply for a new PR even if I don't meet the requirements???
No, wait until you meet them.

Tony23

Oct 8, 2013
zardoz said:
An H&C PRTD does three things.
1) It gets you onto the aircraft to fly to Canada.
2) It confirms to Immigration at the border that you have had your PR status confirmed by a visa office.
3) It allows you to apply for a PR card immediately without waiting for 2 years.

The PR card application forms are available on the CIC website. You complete them and post them from inside Canada after you have passed through the border.
Ok thanks

but once again... Where and when should/most I apply for the PR card? Inside the airport? Or at a local CIC office?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tony23 said:
Ok thanks

but once again... Where and when should/most I apply for the PR card? Inside the airport? Or at a local CIC office?
Neither. You print out the forms from the CIC website and mail them in.

heman73

Oct 8, 2013
This is the first time I am hearing that a PRTD issued on humanitarian grounds allows a person to immediately apply for a PR card. Any pointers to the regulations? I would really appreciate it as I am trying to educate myself.

Also, is this the same situation as getting a travel document request rejected, having gone through an appeal, having the appeal allowed on H&C and then applying for a travel document on the basis of the allowed appeal? Or is this not the same situation as a PRTD on humanitarian grounds?

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OK, let's turn this the other way round...

Anyone can apply for the PR card before meeting two years of residency obligation.
However, unless there is a valid H&C reason (as previously confirmed by the H&C PRTD), the application will be refused and the person reported for failing to meet the RO requirements. As the H&C trumps the RO, this would cause the PR card application to not be rejected. It's all in http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf if you would like some light bedtime reading.

madhut5

Oct 27, 2012
Re: Requesting PRTD on H&C how long it will take?

Hello everyone, quick question here.

My husband's PR card expired he is outside Canada, now he would like to re-enter Canada, we already applied for PRTD on H & C grounds since he could not make 730 days stay in Canada, I am Canadian Citizen and our son is also Canadian Citizen.

how long it will take to issue PRTD?
also He has valid visa for USA, is there any way if he comes to US then by using our personal car can he able to get into Canada?

Please advise
Thanks you very much in advance!!

Best Regards,
MT

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

madhut5 said:

My husband's PR card expired he is outside Canada, now he would like to re-enter Canada, we already applied for PRTD on H & C grounds since he could not make 730 days stay in Canada, I am Canadian Citizen and our son is also Canadian Citizen.

also He has valid visa for USA, is there any way if he comes to US then by using our personal car can he able to get into Canada?

Please advise

Best Regards,
MT
I can't tell you how long it will take to issue a PRTD and he is not guaranteed to get one. It depends on if he actually has H&C grounds for staying outside Canada and if he can prove it.

If he arrives at the US/Canada land border, they will let him in if he has his expired card with him. They will probably give him a lecture about renewing it. If they realize or suspect that he doesn't meet the RO, they can report him but they must let him in.

If his PR Travel document is refused, he can appeal but if he doesn't appeal or if the appeal is denied, he will lose his PR status.

If he is reported on entry and doesn't appeal, same thing.

If he loses his PR, you can however sponsor him again.

cn819

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
04-08-2017
AOR Received.
24-08-2017

madhut5 said:

Please advise

Best Regards,
MT
What is the reason you use to apply for H&C grounds?

madhut5

Oct 27, 2012
Thanks for your resonse...
I am a Canadian citizen, I am well settle in Canada since 9 years, my son is also Canadian citizen
My husband was outside of Canada for long time and his PR card is expired, he could not make 730 days in 5 years there were 2 main reason:
1) His mother was suffering from ALZHEIMER
2) He was perceiving PHD in electrical engineering
We applied on H&C grounds by giving detail explanation requesting for PRTD to enter canada.

Our PRTD request has been refused and they ask us to appeal, for that they may invite him to Canada for hearing? Do I have to consult immigration Lowers?

Please advise asap
Thank you for your valuable time
MT

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
madhut5 said:
I am a Canadian citizen, I am well settle in Canada since 9 years, my son is also Canadian citizen
My husband was outside of Canada for long time and his PR card is expired, he could not make 730 days in 5 years there were 2 main reason:
We applied on H&C grounds by giving detail explanation requesting for PRTD to enter canada.

Our PRTD request has been refused and they ask us to appeal, for that they may invite him to Canada for hearing? Do I have to consult immigration Lowers?

Please advise asap
MT
Reason #1 may be valid. Reason #2 is definitely not.

If they refused his PRTD, then they found he does not meet RO and didn't accept the H&C reason. Hence they will likely start revoking his PR status. He can still enter Canada from USA and they have to let him in since he is still PR but that won't stop the fact that he has been found in violation of RO and he can appeal inside Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
madhut5 said:

Please advise asap
MT
Appeals can take up to several years to hear, after which if it's not successful his PR status would end up being revoked anyways.

It may be a better alternative for him to just accept the revoking of his PR status now, and then you can apply for him from scratch immediately with a family class application.