+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goodbye to the Canadian dream

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
Maplemadness82 said:
By job, from their point of view, is that an employer has made enough attempt to hire someone locally and failed at that. As a last resort, the employer has employed you. Not the kind of jobs that we have that are "LMIA Exempt"..
In most cases jobs have no LMIA requirements, its the people.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
m_dewan33 said:
Even though I have one a half year left on my PGWP, I'm positive that it means the end of Canadian dream for me.

We can whine all we want screaming and shouting that its not fair but its their call. Immigration is a privilege not a right
I am pretty positive that you would get ITA way before that. The whole fuss is because most of you PGWP guys believe you had the first chance on PR. Unfortunately and i can see the intent CIC first wants those with LMIA based jobs and then you guys.

That being said, the only possibility for you guys to worry about, would be WHEN / IF CIC plans to process only as many PR's as roughly there are LMIAs which is pretty hard to be practical considering Canada's immigration scenario.

Viewing all that, number of ITAs in the latter draws would increase and the cut off scores would go down. That's my take

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
se7en said:
Bro, most of us have good jobs and paying good amount of taxes.
Per CIC's perspective, you were given PGWP for duration equal to the time you have studied and spent money here. So they only think you are eligible to work openly for as long as you have studied.

After that, you still have a shot at PR (and a pretty prospective one, unless CIC plans to ONLY get as many PRs as their are LMIAs each year - highly unlikely). Just that those with LMIAs are higher priority and i don't see why that shouldn't be.

Talking about a genuine LMIA (not the chefs and food court attendants), they are all brought on roles for which their actually are no canadians to do the job. Mostly they are far more experienced people and consequently higher paid (read more taxes). So i don't see a reason from Government's perspective to reverse the priority.

Your worries would soon be over - once the score cap comes down. Stay tuned.

jilaniroy

Mar 28, 2014
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Is postdoc a job offer? and do we need a LMIA for that?

Anyone doing postdoc in Canada? Does it count towards a job offer? It was LMIA expempt category but do we need a LMIA for this to be able to claim 600 points under EE?

Thanks

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Is postdoc a job offer? and do we need a LMIA for that?

jilaniroy said:
Anyone doing postdoc in Canada? Does it count towards a job offer? It was LMIA expempt category but do we need a LMIA for this to be able to claim 600 points under EE?

Thanks
Nope, im a postdoc and i dont get those 600 points. Score high on ielts, get ECA and hope and wait for the cap to come down

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
Re: Is postdoc a job offer? and do we need a LMIA for that?

jilaniroy said:

Thanks
You need a permanent job offer to claim 600 points, buddy. Do you have permanent post-doc offer?

jilaniroy

Mar 28, 2014
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Postdoc is never permanent. It is normally for an year or two..:(

I missed FSWP 2014 bcaz of my f**kng ECA. I got my ECA in the first week of Jan! Unlucky me.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
fkl said:
Per CIC's perspective, you were given PGWP for duration equal to the time you have studied and spent money here. So they only think you are eligible to work openly for as long as you have studied.

After that, you still have a shot at PR (and a pretty prospective one, unless CIC plans to ONLY get as many PRs as their are LMIAs each year - highly unlikely). Just that those with LMIAs are higher priority and i don't see why that shouldn't be.

Talking about a genuine LMIA (not the chefs and food court attendants), they are all brought on roles for which their actually are no canadians to do the job. Mostly they are far more experienced people and consequently higher paid (read more taxes). So i don't see a reason from Government's perspective to reverse the priority.

Your worries would soon be over - once the score cap comes down. Stay tuned.
fkl, I agree with you have said. Only issue with PGWP holders are to get LMIA now while before they were LMIA exempt. Most of PGWP folks are working on high demand positions for which no Canadian citizens and PR were available. Why those companies hired PGWPs because these folks were LMIA exempt, they are trained for Canadian industry and easily available. Companies were not required to play any big role other than providing a job proof letter if these folks would want to apply for PR. Now the game is different and it relates straight to employers, if they want they could help these folks in getting LMIA to support their PR which in return would help the companies keeping stable the important positions or they wouldn't care and hire them for the time of their wps expiry and then hire another PGWP holder but it would be kind of weird while causing instability in their workforce.
Getting Canadian job and LMIA from abroad is a chance, people either get it or not and they wouldn't come on closed work permit if immigration doors were closed on them. Likewise, students come to this country on a purpose, they don't come to spend money just to get 3 years work permit and then go back.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What bothers me most is uncertainty :mad: Should I seek ways to increase my score through LMIA or PNP (some say it's useless and that's a lot work besides the fact that I'm usually superbusy at work and my boss is unwilling to go through this)? Should I silently wait till my work permit expires in May and hope to get ITA in Feb.-April to just renew work permit in the last minute? Oh, but that's too nerveracking, isn't it? Should I start looking for a job in my homecountry? I wish CIC had more comprehensive guildines and straightforward information on the immigration process. f.r.u.s.t.r.a.t.i.o.n :mad:.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
I guess we should approach the appropriate authorities with our concerns...surely the prospective international student will now think twice coming to Canada after the treatment we are getting

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
A.B.123 said:
What bothers me most is uncertainty :mad: Should I seek ways to increase my score through LMIA or PNP (some say it's useless and that's a lot work besides the fact that I'm usually superbusy at work and my boss is unwilling to go through this)? Should I silently wait till my work permit expires in May and hope to get ITA in Feb.-April to just renew work permit in the last minute? Oh, but that's too nerveracking, isn't it? Should I start looking for a job in my homecountry? I wish CIC had more comprehensive guildines and straightforward information on the immigration process. f.r.u.s.t.r.a.t.i.o.n :mad:.
You are in 50 50 chances situation. You might not bother with speaking to your boss for LMIA while hoping that EE score will come down eventually but Hey, you never know about CIC intentions. You best bet now is to speak with your boss and explain the whole situation and see if s/he agrees for LMIA. Atleast, after this you would know your right situation.

specialmary

Jun 18, 2012
A.B.123 said:
Can you try Provincial Nominee? LMIA requires a company to make its best effort to recruit local employees but fails. PNP usually is more flexible.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
se7en said:
You are in 50 50 chances situation. You might not bother with speaking to your boss for LMIA while hoping that EE score will come down eventually but Hey, you never know about CIC intentions. You best bet now is to speak with your boss and explain the whole situation and see if s/he agrees for LMIA. Atleast, after this you would know your right situation.
there is psychological difficulties and a lot of pressure on me too in this situation. I work in a company of 2 full time employees (me and my boss). first of all, my boss doesn't like to spend money to a point where a piece of paper wasted by mistake upsets him. And here he'll have to unexpectedly spend a grand or more and what for? That wasn't the part of the original arrangement since before hiring me, the Office of Multicultural Affairs reassured him that he didn't have to get LMIA since I had an "open" work permit (!!!). I can only imagine how upset he gets after I tell him this. Secondly, he doesn't like change to a point where he never travels or renovates his house etc. and if he does, he has to ask a million questions and plan everything 18 months ahead. I can only imagine the stress he gets into when I tell him this. Thirdly, his family helped me a lot when I had to move from another province, I stayed in their house for free for a month, for example. And he said to someone that he is sponsoring me to Canada, making me feel like I owe him. Now imagine if I ask for this stupid LMIA, oh, that would be such pain in the a///:mad: and to crown it all, we are going to be just super busy in feb. :( like that LMIA is no way possible in feb. :(

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
specialmary said:
Can you try Provincial Nominee? LMIA requires a company to make its best effort to recruit local employees but fails. PNP usually is more flexible.
yeah, thanks for the suggestion, I'm looking into this now.