+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Given name in IELTS TRF mismatches that of passport. Please advice.

metabug

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Hello people,
I have a quick question regarding the naming format. Let's say my name is N1 and my father's name is N2 and Surname is N3. Given name in my passport is N1+N2 and Surname is N3.

Now, my IELTS TRF shows my first name as N1 and surname as N3. There is no mention of my father's name as I only filled my first and last name while registering for exam.
Will this cause any problem during my application processing?
PS. I'm sitting at 415 and haven't received my ITA yet.

jackdawn

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2016
Hello people,
I have a quick question regarding the naming format. Let's say my name is N1 and my father's name is N2 and Surname is N3. Given name in my passport is N1+N2 and Surname is N3.

Now, my IELTS TRF shows my first name as N1 and surname as N3. There is no mention of my father's name as I only filled my first and last name while registering for exam.
Will this cause any problem during my application processing?
PS. I'm sitting at 415 and haven't received my ITA yet.
It could cause a problem. U r supposed to fill in ur name for IELTS as it is in ur passport. If there is any difference they might have given u an option to make corrections at the time of writing the exam.

U can check with IELTS if they would correct it now.

metabug

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
It could cause a problem. U r supposed to fill in ur name for IELTS as it is in ur passport. If there is any difference they might have given u an option to make corrections at the time of writing the exam.

Thanks @jackdawn for your reply. I will check with IDP if they can re-issue TRF with updated given name.

I thought it won't cause a great deal of problem as my first name and last name is correct.

Shaina12

Mar 21, 2018
Hello People,

I have a similar question. I do not use my last name on my passport and all other documents but my TRF has my Family name. I asked IDP authority to change the same and issue me a new TRF but they denied the request.
I want to know if I use the same TRF then will it cause any issue in my VISA process if I get an affivadit made regarding the same.

Thanks
Shaina

metabug

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Hi Shaina,
People have advised me to write an letter of explanation regarding name format along with an affidavit. CIC can always check with the passport number on TRF which will be mapped to your passport hence there won't be any issue.
Thanks

mihir.patel

Jan 4, 2020

Hello,
I have same problem. I only put first name( my name), did not put my father’s name.
is it cause problem?

mukthar7702

Nov 2, 2020
Hi, I have the same issue.

My given name as per the passport is N1 + N2 + N3 with No surname.

In IELTS TRF my First Name : N1 + N2 and Family name/ Last name/ Surname: N3

The thing is I booked my IELTS exam with the help of Oman's resident card. So the "Candidate ID" is my Resident card's ID number.

Awaiting your advice!

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hi, I have the same issue.

My given name as per the passport is N1 + N2 + N3 with No surname.

In IELTS TRF my First Name : N1 + N2 and Family name/ Last name/ Surname: N3

The thing is I booked my IELTS exam with the help of Oman's resident card. So the "Candidate ID" is my Resident card's ID number.

Awaiting your advice!
Use a same name/person affidavit when you submit your eAPR after ITA.

Reactions: mukthar7702

Sameer2325

Feb 3, 2021
Hi guys I live in UAE and I used my ID card here for registration with Ielts.. now its a different name on TRF. What should I do ?

mukthar7702

Nov 2, 2020
Hi guys I live in UAE and I used my ID card here for registration with Ielts.. now it's a different name on TRF. What should I do?

Make a "Same person Affidavit".
You can make this in embassy (of your nationality) and also take a True Copy stamp on copies of both Passport and Resident card.
It cost me around 17 OMR for the same.

Last edited: