+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after PPR

ImmtoCan

Dec 6, 2018
If your family composition changes, and you inform IRCC, which you should, your Visa and COPR if issued is cancelled. IRCC will ask for the documents to add your spouse to your application, and issue you new documents.

In such circumstances, you cannot travel with the Visa issued on your passport as it is no longer valid.

Changes to family composition
All family members must be examined as part of the e-APR, whether they are accompanying the principal applicant or not. Family members can be added to the application at any time during the process, including after the visa is issued, but prior to obtaining permanent resident status. Applicants are instructed to inform IRCC immediately if their family composition has changed (e.g., birth of a child, marriage, divorce).

Pursuant to subsection R4(1), the principal applicant may not include a spouse or common-law partner in their application if their relationship was entered into primarily to acquire any status or privilege under the Act or is not genuine. Similarly, in accordance with subsection R4(2), the principal applicant may not include an adopted child in their application if the adoption was entered into primarily to obtain any status or privilege under the Act or if it did not create a genuine parent–child relationship.

Section A11.2 does not apply when an applicant adds a family member to their application after the e-APR; however, the family member will have to be assessed, and the principal applicant must provide IRCC with the Additional Family Information form [IMM 5406 (PDF, 570KB)] and pay the applicable fees online.
Thanks @legalfalcon . I was wondering if the application would be revisited and evaluated again if the spouse is already a PR holder residing in Canada, in which case there should not be the need to add him to my application.
In any case even if my existing PR visa and CoPR are cancelled, will the processing follow the atandard timelines.
Appreciate your help.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks @legalfalcon . I was wondering if the application would be revisited and evaluated again if the spouse is already a PR holder residing in Canada, in which case there should not be the need to add him to my application.
In any case even if my existing PR visa and CoPR are cancelled, will the processing follow the atandard timelines.
Appreciate your help.
The application will not be reassessed. Only your spouse's information will be added to the application. If your spouse would have been accompanying you then her meds, pcc, and passport along with the forms and fee would have to be filed. Since your spouse is already in Canada, once you provide that information, you will only need to provide your spouse's PR details, and your marriage certificates.

Irrespective of whether your spouse is accompanying or not, adding her after you file the application, does not impact your CRS or eligibility. Only criminal, medical admissibility is assessed.

ImmtoCan

Dec 6, 2018
The application will not be reassessed. Only your spouse's information will be added to the application. If your spouse would have been accompanying you then her meds, pcc, and passport along with the forms and fee would have to be filed. Since your spouse is already in Canada, once you provide that information, you will only need to provide your spouse's PR details, and your marriage certificates.

Irrespective of whether your spouse is accompanying or not, adding her after you file the application, does not impact your CRS or eligibility. Only criminal, medical admissibility is assessed.
@legalfalcon I have attached marriage certificate, wedding photos, spouse's PR card copy, spouse's passport copy and his driver's license in the case specific enquiry. I am hoping that the updation would not follow the standard timelines required to add spouse to an application and would be quicker.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi @canuck_in_uk
I called up CIC to check the updates done to my application and the agent informed me that my CoPR and PR Visa have been cancelled at CIC's end. She said that CoPR and PR visa are invalid and can't be used to land in Canada. She asked me to wait for further instructions from VO.
I have never seen the documents cancelled when informing IRCC of marriage with a Canadian citizen/PR spouse. The COPR is the exact same, as the spouse is not a dependent, so there is zero need to re-issue them.

MasterShifu

Jul 31, 2018
I have never seen the documents cancelled when informing IRCC of marriage with a Canadian citizen/PR spouse. The COPR is the exact same, as the spouse is not a dependent, so there is zero need to re-issue them.
@canuck_in_uk I have a job offer that I need to join in couple of days. Since I got to know of the visa cancelation only from the agent and haven't received any explicit communication about it from cic, would it be okay to travel on my existing CoPR and visa?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@canuck_in_uk I have a job offer that I need to join in couple of days. Since I got to know of the visa cancelation only from the agent and haven't received any explicit communication about it from cic, would it be okay to travel on my existing CoPR and visa?
Honestly, up to you if you want to try. As I said, I've not seen documents cancelled in this situation before. If the COPR has been cancelled, CBSA will refuse your landing.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon I have attached marriage certificate, wedding photos, spouse's PR card copy, spouse's passport copy and his driver's license in the case specific enquiry. I am hoping that the updation would not follow the standard timelines required to add spouse to an application and would be quicker.
The basic point is that when you add a spouse to your application, then all family members (PA & dependents) have to be Medically and criminally. Also they all have to go through the security checks.

In your case since your spouse has already been admitted, the processing time will be considerably less as all the admissibility checks have been done.

mayurd

Star Member
Feb 20, 2016
The basic point is that when you add a spouse to your application, then all family members (PA & dependents) have to be Medically and criminally. Also they all have to go through the security checks.

In your case since your spouse has already been admitted, the processing time will be considerably less as all the admissibility checks have been done.
Hi,
I got PPR as a single applicant in Oct 2017. Dint land, got married and added spouse in end of July 2018. My file is still under processing last 5 months. My application shows, Date Received as August 27, 2017 (when i had submitted as a single) and Estimated completion date as 27 Feb 2018 (over long time back). Another person with similar spouse submission date got PPR on Dec 6. I don't understand why the date received field is not updated as July 2018 when i had submitted spouse docs ? Now my file is getting delayed. I sent mail to IRCC but got generic response. What can i do more on this ? i feel it is stuck or freezed in some queue. Wondering how it will come to their attention. Pls suggest something. Thanks.

tue2017

Oct 6, 2017
It seems quite impossible to fit all the requirements in 1 placeholder with a max limit of 5mb. Especially with the 15 pics they ask for.
Do you have a solution to that?
Not sure i am still sorting out the documentation if didnt fir then we have to request to open more placeholders. Some applicants managed to upload everything in one placeholder after compressing the documents.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi,
I got PPR as a single applicant in Oct 2017. Dint land, got married and added spouse in end of July 2018. My file is still under processing last 5 months. My application shows, Date Received as August 27, 2017 (when i had submitted as a single) and Estimated completion date as 27 Feb 2018 (over long time back). Another person with similar spouse submission date got PPR on Dec 6. I don't understand why the date received field is not updated as July 2018 when i had submitted spouse docs ? Now my file is getting delayed. I sent mail to IRCC but got generic response. What can i do more on this ? i feel it is stuck or freezed in some queue. Wondering how it will come to their attention. Pls suggest something. Thanks.
After you add your spouse to your application, your spouse will have to go though medicals, criminality and security, which takes time. Each application is different. It can takes 4-6 months for the application to be approved after you add your spouse.

MasterShifu

Jul 31, 2018
Hi,
Hi @mayurd Could you please post the sequence of events/ communications that took place from the time you raised a case specific enquiry till date - for instance the date when you submitted the case specific enquiry, the date when your PR visa and CoPR were cancelled, if you received any communication from CIC before/ after cancelation of your CoPR, etc. I need to understand the sequence to see the difference between adding a spouse who is already a Canadian PR holder vis-a-vis adding of a person who is not a Canadian PR holder as a spouse.

asb1296

Jan 31, 2018
Not sure i am still sorting out the documentation if didnt fir then we have to request to open more placeholders. Some applicants managed to upload everything in one placeholder after compressing the documents.
By the way, in form imm 5669 where it asks for the spouses mother names
a) Family name at birth - should this be the one at birth or current passport (the instructions guide doesnt mention to use the one at birth so its abit confusing)
b) Given name(s) - So should this be the first name and middle name at birth or as per the passport?

mayurd

Star Member
Feb 20, 2016
Hi @mayurd Could you please post the sequence of events/ communications that took place from the time you raised a case specific enquiry till date - for instance the date when you submitted the case specific enquiry, the date when your PR visa and CoPR were cancelled, if you received any communication from CIC before/ after cancelation of your CoPR, etc. I need to understand the sequence to see the difference between adding a spouse who is already a Canadian PR holder vis-a-vis adding of a person who is not a Canadian PR holder as a spouse.
Hi Shifu, my PR visa was valid till Oct 27, 2018, I dint land, got married and submitted my spouse documentation by July 30 2018. Medicals passed by Aug 2, 2018. But after that till now, my application is still under process. My visa also expired. I dint get any communication from CIC to submit PR & COPR for cancellation. It is still with me only. I think only after getting new PPR mail for myself and my spouse, they will cancel and re-issue new PR & COPR for both of us. I sent mail through web form but they said my application is still under process. I dint order any GCMS notes yet. Will wait another month and see.

tue2017

Oct 6, 2017
By the way, in form imm 5669 where it asks for the spouses mother names
a) Family name at birth - should this be the one at birth or current passport (the instructions guide doesnt mention to use the one at birth so its abit confusing)
b) Given name(s) - So should this be the first name and middle name at birth or as per the passport?
Ans a)I filled it as per national identity card because in my country the name on ID gets on the passport as well. And the name on ID comes from birth certificate.
Ans b) Yes, first and middle names. Better to put the one that is on passport.