+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get Passport back

maozh

Dec 15, 2021
I went to IRCC Etobicoke office to ask for my passport which seized when i applied for Asylum i got my PR Card by mail last month and they told me to send a letter with Canadapost and explain why you need your Passport and they will send an appointment to come in person to collect the passport.
I sent a letter with Canada post on the 26/Nov/2021 to IRCC Etobicoke office (5343 Dundas St W) i tried contacting them so many times but no reply and i went in person last week to check and the Security told me to wait and they cannot give me an exact time.
Please if any of you know anything or you got your passport please share your experience
I will keep you guys posted on anything i receive.

salacn

Dec 24, 2020
This may help, although may not be the same for everyone. To retrieve your passport and assuming you are in the GTA, you can go to CBSA Office:
6900 Airport Rd #93, Mississauga

Use the entrance #93, and after quick covid screening you will be asking at the reception for your passport and confirm that you have your PR. They (may) ask for your notice of seizure, and the PR (or PR confirmation) and your contact number then inform you to wait at the same place to get contacted by an officer. After which, If your passports are available they will ask you to sign a form and receive your passport back. At least that is what I did and got mine and my family passports. Any adult family member need to be there in person to sign and receive the passport.

NaAzaAn

May 26, 2021
This may help, although may not be the same for everyone. To retrieve your passport and assuming you are in the GTA, you can go to CBSA Office:

Use the entrance #93, and after quick covid screening you will be asking at the reception for your passport and confirm that you have your PR. They (may) ask for your notice of seizure, and the PR (or PR confirmation) and your contact number then inform you to wait at the same place to get contacted by an officer. After which, If your passports are available they will ask you to sign a form and receive your passport back. At least that is what I did and got mine and my family passports. Any adult family member need to be there in person to sign and receive the passport.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
Notice of seizure is a form?and we should fill it out in advance?

salacn

Dec 24, 2020
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
Notice of seizure is a form?and we should fill it out in advance?
It's a form that is given to you when your passport was taken from you.

You should have had it when you applied to become a refugee, if you don't have it you may ask there (or call them) to confirm you can without them.

Reactions: NaAzaAn

maozh

Dec 15, 2021

Thank you for the share
My passport is in IRCC Etobicoke office

Reactions: Faisalkhan555

NaAzaAn

May 26, 2021
It's a form that is given to you when your passport was taken from you.

You should have had it when you applied to become a refugee, if you don't have it you may ask there (or call them) to confirm you can without them.
Where did you claim your refugee?
I claimed refugee at Etobicoke office,So I can seize my passport from Etobicoke or CBSA?

Reactions: maozh

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
I claimed refugee case at Montreal and then later on transferred my file to Alberta now I have moved to Toronto and went to Etobicoke to check where my passport is so they located my passport and that was in Montreal so I filled the request form to transfer my passport from Montreal to Etobicoke and was told that someone will call me once my passport is here.

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
I have also applied for travel document is there any way to use our origin passport as there are some countries that don't accept RTD everyone has different opinion some will come up and say that we can use it and some says no i have couple of friends they have called IRCC and they told them once you are PR you can use it some asked CBSA when getting their passports back they said you can use it but don't use it to to travel back to your country while some Officers came up to not use it.Not sure what exactly is going on and how to confirm it

Lovely-Canada

Star Member
Jun 17, 2018
Update:
Hello everyone.
Sharing my experience and right information.
I read comments on this thread and went to CBSA at airport road.
While inquiring they said:
1... If you have claimed refugee at any border or airport, your passports are seized and held by CBSA which you can request and get it from
CBSA Office:
2... If you have filed your refugee application inland like in Etobicoke office or any IRCC office within Canada, then you will have to write a letter to IRCC office where you submitted your application and they will arrange your passport return. and that is lengthy process.

There is not any 3rd option.

I know its time consuming, hectic process but that's the process. I am also following this and wrote a letter to get my ID back.
Hope this updated and correct information will help you.

Lovely-Canada

Star Member
Jun 17, 2018
I have also applied for travel document is there any way to use our origin passport as there are some countries that don't accept RTD everyone has different opinion some will come up and say that we can use it and some says no i have couple of friends they have called IRCC and they told them once you are PR you can use it some asked CBSA when getting their passports back they said you can use it but don't use it to to travel back to your country while some Officers came up to not use it.Not sure what exactly is going on and how to confirm it
Hey,
I am in the same situation, searching the right information to start traveling with my passport. Ofcourse not gonna travel to home country until citizenship. But I believe we can travel all other countries. Let's get the right info soon.

Andftoe

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
I picked my passport up two weeks ago. As I told before, I received appointment letter. I was told they are contacting people slowly due to restrictions.

I saw just two people attending customer from more than 20 counters they have.

NaAzaAn

May 26, 2021
I picked my passport up two weeks ago. As I told before, I received appointment letter. I was told they are contacting people slowly due to restrictions.

Hi
Happy new year
When did you become a PR?
I just wanna know how long does it take to get appointment letter after getting PR.

Reactions: Lovely-Canada

Lovely-Canada

Star Member
Jun 17, 2018

Great,
Did you wrote letter requesting passports or they just sent pickup appointment?