+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get Passport back

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why do we need to get back our passport if we r not allowed to use it ?
can anyone please explain it .
Some people want it back as a record of their history. Some have other visas in their passport. You’re right most don’t need their passport back and many don’t want it back. Personal choice.

mimika

Jan 12, 2021
you still can use your passport but not for travelling to your home country. several countries do not accept RTDs. so basically, as long as you don't renew your passport and don't travel to your home country it's fine. but in most cases you will be a subject of examination at the POE when you arrive to Canada, CBSA officer may ask you why did you travel with your passport and will verify that you didn't enter your home country.

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
you still can use your passport but not for travelling to your home country. several countries do not accept RTDs. so basically, as long as you don't renew your passport and don't travel to your home country it's fine. but in most cases you will be a subject of examination at the POE when you arrive to Canada, CBSA officer may ask you why did you travel with your passport and will verify that you didn't enter your home country.
you actually can renew your passport after your receive your PR

mimika

Jan 12, 2021
Only for very essential reasons. Renewing a passport can lead to a cessation of your refugee status. I know some situations even when people travelled to their home countries being a PR, but for very essential reasons such as funerals etc. but that’s up to ircc/cbsa either to initiate a cessation procedure

Reactions: Toronto1971

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
Only for very essential reasons. Renewing a passport can lead to a cessation of your refugee status. I know some situations even when people travelled to their home countries being a PR, but for very essential reasons such as funerals etc. but that’s up to ircc/cbsa either to initiate a cessation procedure
No, renewing your passport when you are a permanent resident of Canada does not lead to cessation of refugee status. Applying or renewing your home country passport before getting your PR leads to cessation of your refugee status. All of this information is available at the IRCC and IRB websites. You can double check.

Travelling to your home country is not allowed until you become a citizen.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can certainly renew it however this can sometimes cause issues during the citizenship process due to reavailement.

Reactions: Fadros

starsinthesky

Star Member
Feb 24, 2021
Some people have different status now then conventional refugee or refugee claimant. I. this case we do not need to apply for a travel document. National passports are only option forus to travel.

mimika

Jan 12, 2021
Went to 6900 Airport today, they said its impossible to request a passport transfer from Etobicoke office to CBSA and they explained in details why they cannot make it. I talked to the guy on reception, after that I talked to a CBSA officer who deals with returning seized documents and everyone told me that its possible only if im going back home (and obviously they are right). They didn't seem careless or rude, I spent like 30 minutes talking to them explaining my situation that country im planning to visit doesn't accept RTDs. So for me that sounds weird how people requested passports to be transferred to CBSA from local IRCC offices.. Can you share your experience in details please? I have to leave in 4 weeks, but I have a feeling that IRCC will not resume passport returns by that time. Thnx

Shafiqahmad

Jan 4, 2020
Some people have different status now then conventional refugee or refugee claimant. I. this case we do not need to apply for a travel document. National passports are only option forus to travel.
U can only get yr national passport in two situations . One is if u decided to withdraw yr refugee claim . And other is when u become pr . But its nt advisable to use yr national passport. Incase when u travel with yr national passport and if something happens again u will be under yr own country protection. And it can revoke yr status in canada . Thatswht i heard frm seniors i might be wrong too as every case is different thn others.

Moura

Aug 17, 2021
Hello,
I was reading all the posts regarding getting back the seized passport and was very helpful.

Today, we went me and my husband to CBSA office to get our seized passports back for our family, when we arrived to reception we gave them our PR Cards, they checked in the system and they told us that they have only my husband's file however me and my 2 boys are with IRCC which is in Etobicoke office :(. It's a weird situation because all the family should be together in one place.
So the receptionist told us that one officer will contact us back once they prepare my husband's document and we can go somewhere to have coffee until everything is ready. After half an hour the document was ready and we went and got it.

After that, we went to Etobicoke office in 5343 Dundas street , they were open but not accepting walk in and they asked us to send a letter by mail to their address with the list of the requested Original Identity documents and the reason of your request, including an explanation that you became a permanent resident without your documents and they will reply back to me with an appointment in order to get them back.

It's really a big headache and I don't know why since i am there already and they are open why they couldn't give it to me and do the same easy process like CBSA Office.
I feel that they are complicating things and they don't want to make things easy for people :(

Altapnp

May 15, 2018
Hello there I sent an email to etobicoke office to find out about my husband’s passport. They haven’t replied back. Does anyone know how long do they take to answer an email ? If there is any other way to find where is his passport ? Thank you