+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GCMS shows 'Security Screening' and waiting... - let's gather here!

blackedout

Feb 26, 2024
Have you ordered notes from CSIS? You should if you haven't.
I have ordered them but I believe they will take another 2 weeks for it to arrive. By the way the fact that my tracker shows activity status updated to background verification is a clear sign of security screening right ?

rubi7509

Nov 22, 2023
Nigeria
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-02-2021
AOR Received.
22-05-2021
Med's Request
07-03-2023
Med's Done....
23-03-2023
I have ordered them but I believe they will take another 2 weeks for it to arrive. By the way the fact that my tracker shows activity status updated to background verification is a clear sign of security screening right ?
[/QUOTE
You will need to wait until you get the cbsa note.

umbro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
where are you finding this trend? I’m waiting since October 2023 and there’s no movement on my file. Even contacted my MP and they said everything is passed but security is in progress
There is a whatsapp group, I saw several cases that took around 10 months to get cleared from SS, and I've just seen another one here in the forum (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/thank-you-legalfalcon.408185/post-10811653), this person's spouse's SS started late May 2023 and completed early March 2024.
I thinks you are also in comprehensive ss, order CSIS notes, if they reply that your case is still in progress, then you have to wait till end of August, considering your SS started in October.

battylife

Apr 16, 2023
Hi everyone, my AOR was on Jan 16, 2023 and CSIS started doing comprehensive screening on me on May 10, 2023. As of Apr 16, 2024 (date of response to my latest Privacy Act request), CSIS still hasn't let me go. Based on my profile, several prominent lawyers I consulted agreed that my case is now ripe for mandamus. I don't mind spending big bucks for the best lawyers that money can buy to go to hearings and submit Applications for Leave on my behalf. After all, for all security-related delays, feelings matter more than facts - IRCC/CBSA/CSIS can shut down almost any legal argument with the phrase "national security". Only seeing an known and expensive lawyer having your back can persuade them to reconsider if spending taxpayer $$$$ to fight your case is worth it.

However, the lawyers also gave me quotes of $1500-$3000 for sending a "Letter of Demand" a.k.a “Specific Performance Request” to IRCC and their contracted DoJ lawyers. Judging by forum precedents, I'm skeptical that this letter of demand would be taken seriously by either IRCC or their lawyers, since it doesn't go through the courts, yet it is a legal requirement for initiating mandamus. Therefore, I'm considering preparing a demand letter by myself, and have my lawyer take care of the rest. Is there a demand letter template? Does anyone have any idea to whom in the DoJ this should be addressed to?

Last edited:

jmdbsa

Star Member
Nov 22, 2022
Hi everyone, my AOR was on Jan 16, 2023 and CSIS started doing comprehensive screening on me on May 10, 2023. As of Apr 16, 2024 (date of response to my latest Privacy Act request), CSIS still hasn't let me go. Based on my profile, several prominent lawyers I consulted agreed that my case is now ripe for mandamus. I don't mind spending big bucks for the best lawyers that money can buy to go to hearings and submit Applications for Leave on my behalf. After all, for all security-related delays, feelings matter more than facts - IRCC/CBSA/CSIS can shut down almost any legal argument with the phrase "national security". Only seeing an known and expensive lawyer having your back can persuade them to reconsider if spending taxpayer $$$$ to fight your case is worth it.

However, the lawyers also gave me quotes of $1500-$3000 for sending a "Letter of Demand" a.k.a “Specific Performance Request” to IRCC and their contracted DoJ lawyers. Judging by forum precedents, I'm skeptical that this letter of demand would be taken seriously by either IRCC or their lawyers, since it doesn't go through the courts, yet it is a legal requirement for initiating mandamus. Therefore, I'm considering preparing a demand letter by myself, and have my lawyer take care of the rest. Is there a demand letter template? Does anyone have any idea to whom in the DoJ this should be addressed to?
If you are in the security screening and CSIS did not finish the screening. A letter of demand is almost ineffective. IRCC has sufficient reasons (security screening not done) to ignore this letter. Alternatively, even if you wrt mandamus, the chance is still not high. IRCC has sufficient reasons (security check not done) not to process your case. For details, see Chen v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2023 FC 885.

battylife

Apr 16, 2023
If you are in the security screening and CSIS did not finish the screening. A letter of demand is almost ineffective. IRCC has sufficient reasons (security screening not done) to ignore this letter. Alternatively, even if you wrt mandamus, the chance is still not high. IRCC has sufficient reasons (security check not done) not to process your case. For details, see Chen v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2023 FC 885.
Sure, it is almost certain IRCC won't bat an eyelid on a demand letter when it's related to security matters. What I care about is whether a DIY demand letter will jeopardize my future mandamus efforts. I am quite familiar with security-related mandamus cases with adverse outcomes, such as 2023 FC 885 and 2023 FC 1753, yet there are equally as many successful cases settled before a hearing.

The crux of the matter is to impress the DoJ lawyer contracted by IRCC to respond to your Application for Leave. They have a history of advising IRCC to finish your application without waiting for a response from CBSA or CSIS, if your lawsuit sounds like an expensive one to fight and there are easier pickings.

jmdbsa

Star Member
Nov 22, 2022
Sure, it is almost certain IRCC won't bat an eyelid on a demand letter when it's related to security matters. What I care about is whether a DIY demand letter will jeopardize my future mandamus efforts. I am quite familiar with security-related mandamus cases with adverse outcomes, such as 2023 FC 885 and 2023 FC 1753, yet there are equally as many successful cases settled before a hearing.

The crux of the matter is to impress the DoJ lawyer contracted by IRCC to respond to your Application for Leave. They have a history of advising IRCC to finish your application without waiting for a response from CBSA or CSIS, if your lawsuit sounds like an expensive one to fight and there are easier pickings. The appellant in 2023 FC 1753 failed spectacularly, probably partly because he retained a no-name lawyer for a Chief Justice case.
Yeah. U can always try different ways to increase the chance...It is indeed case by case..

xueshen0607

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020

Oh dear we almost shared the same timeline - I am one month behind you. No update from my end as well

MarkSpenser

Mar 23, 2023
FSW-O

My medical examination had expired in early March, and the "Review of medical results" field in GCKey was empty. However, yesterday I received an update, and the latest information now reads:

"Review of medical results - April 25, 2024: You passed the medical exam."

Is this a positive sign, or is it a routine procedure where IRCC extends (or requests a re-medical examination) for everyone and does it not indicate any specific progress with the SS?

Thanks

umbro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018

C'mon bro, do this, get your PPR and give us a hope.
Share with us Demand Letter if you can find it, please.