+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

abhiram.kumar

Dec 7, 2018
Bullshit.
Basic rule in India is like everywhere else. If you are paying money, the guy getting money will figure-out a way to talk to you and vice versa.

You know, your own minor son/daughter or minor grand son/daughter may face exactly this situation. I sincerely hope people help him/her and not laugh at him/her and not treat him/her as fool.
You completely missed my point. I’m not saying racism is right or justified, I’m pointing out the hypocrisy in the fact that several Indians like to take some sort of moral high ground and then use racism as a battering ram to bash Western Nations like it only exists in those nations when India itself is riddled with racism. They aren’t calling out individual cases but they resort to trashing western nations and the people living in those nations for racism. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

abhiram.kumar

Dec 7, 2018
Big reason for that is that Canada(unlike the US) allows individuals build their entire family here. So, large family structures, practices, etc (I'm talking about the good parts of it) flourished here in Canada. E.g. If you are sick, you got a mom/dad/mother-in-law/father-in-law/uncle/etc to look after. In a typical western family, you'd take a medicine and your mom living 15kms away won't even show up.

Most coworkers that I had when I was in the US from India/Pakistan/Philippines/etc had no family support there. We had to live on top of processed foods, more individualistic lifestyle, etc - but I saw the same people live a more family centered life now in Canada. This is a good thing by all means.

About the language thing - given the number and concentration of Indians here - I think that's only logical to happen. I'm not ashamed of talking in my language and especially if it is easy to communicate in it. Ukrainians in Canada do the same and I see no one complain as much.

About westernization - there are some real bad things about 100% westernization:
1. processed food
2. less family focused life
3. no social constraints and currencies

The idea that good things back home are lame isn't as true. I know a lot of people judge someone for not being progressive enough for even following the right thing, but hey, I'm not feeding myself cancer inducing production line food just to look cool. Pseudo standards and shallow progressiveness are bad in the long run.

So many good things in Canadian culture to absorb, but a lot of cautionary tales here as well :)
This is a huge myth. I’ve travelled to the US and there’s absolutely no difference in the way immigrants are expected to behave or integrate. There are areas in Queens, New York where people don’t speak a lick of English and areas in Los Angeles where people only speak Spanish. The US doesn’t even have a national language. Travel to Edison, New Jersey and one could make the assumption that it was some part of India. The people who make claims about melting pot vs mosaic have never travelled to either the US or Canada. You might be noticing differences because Canada as a whole, has a greater percentage of foreign born population vs the US (21% vs 14%). First generation immigrants always have a tendency to stick to the cultural practices from their home countries.

abhiram.kumar

Dec 7, 2018
Well, I have seen Chinese in Richmond talk in Cantonese as first reflex. I have seen Zorastrians of North Van talk in Persian as the first reflex, so much so that my wife had a lot of trouble getting sales bonus as a retail worker. Your friend i think unaware of reality of Canada. Its a patch work of culture than a melting pot. This is a common mistake people who live in America make. They think Canada should be similar to America. It is not.

Anyhow, a simple, "Hey, I cannt understand what you are saying" with a smile might be enough.
Like I said. Huge myth. You haven’t travelled to the US then. I’ve travelled to the US and there’s absolutely no difference in the way immigrants are expected to behave or integrate. There are areas in Queens, New York where people don’t speak a lick of English and areas in Los Angeles where people only speak Spanish. The US doesn’t even have a national language. Travel to Edison, New Jersey and one could make the assumption that it was some part of India. Canada as a whole, has a greater percentage of foreign born population vs the US (21% vs 14%). First generation immigrants always have a tendency to stick to the cultural practices from their home countries.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Like I said. Huge myth. You haven’t travelled to the US then. I’ve travelled to the US and there’s absolutely no difference in the way immigrants are expected to behave or integrate. There are areas in Queens, New York where people don’t speak a lick of English and areas in Los Angeles where people only speak Spanish. The US doesn’t even have a national language. Travel to Edison, New Jersey and one could make the assumption that it was some part of India. Canada as a whole, has a greater percentage of foreign born population vs the US (21% vs 14%). First generation immigrants always have a tendency to stick to the cultural practices from their home countries.
Let me not even debate what US has or has not. The point is simple and pertinent. Canada has ALWAYS been a patch work of cultures. So yes, people speaking whatever language they are comfortable with has always been a characteristic of Canada. Now since you already admit that there are portions of USA that feel very much like India, I fail to see what is the issue if certain parts of Canada has the same charecterstic.

BTW, while federal government of USA does not specify any official language, many state governments do and have English as official language of the state (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States). Given US takes pride in its federal structure, official languages of states is equally important.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
You completely missed my point. I’m not saying racism is right or justified, I’m pointing out the hypocrisy in the fact that several Indians like to take some sort of moral high ground and then use racism as a battering ram to bash Western Nations like it only exists in those nations when India itself is riddled with racism. They aren’t calling out individual cases but they resort to trashing western nations and the people living in those nations for racism. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Your exact words were

If you see anyone from the Indian community targeting Western nations and white people for racism, just laugh and treat them as fools.
Now given such a sweeping generalization that you have taken, I am sure you will take umbrage if someone from Indian community targets Australia and its white mass murderer of Christchurch mosque shootings fame who shot people in that mosque because they were non white immigrants. Sure you will just "laugh at them and treat them as fools", right? Because they dare target western nation (Australia) and its white people for a deadly display of racism even beyond their own country.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
In the USA, it is much easier to bring family on green cards, I have seen many in my family bring parents so easily and vice-versa for siblings also. My uncle in Texas, who is a big Donald Trump fanboy refers to that as chain migration. Supposedly Trump wanted to replace that with some Canada, Australia-like points system but democrats didn't let that bill pass.

Reactions: Hopeful007

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Big reason for that is that Canada(unlike the US) allows individuals build their entire family here. So, large family structures, practices, etc (I'm talking about the good parts of it) flourished here in Canada. E.g. If you are sick, you got a mom/dad/mother-in-law/father-in-law/uncle/etc to look after. In a typical western family, you'd take a medicine and your mom living 15kms away won't even show up.

Most coworkers that I had when I was in the US from India/Pakistan/Philippines/etc had no family support there. We had to live on top of processed foods, more individualistic lifestyle, etc - but I saw the same people live a more family centered life now in Canada. This is a good thing by all means.

About the language thing - given the number and concentration of Indians here - I think that's only logical to happen. I'm not ashamed of talking in my language and especially if it is easy to communicate in it. Ukrainians in Canada do the same and I see no one complain as much.

About westernization - there are some real bad things about 100% westernization:
1. processed food
2. less family focused life
3. no social constraints and currencies

The idea that good things back home are lame isn't as true. I know a lot of people judge someone for not being progressive enough for even following the right thing, but hey, I'm not feeding myself cancer inducing production line food just to look cool. Pseudo standards and shallow progressiveness are bad in the long run.

So many good things in Canadian culture to absorb, but a lot of cautionary tales here as well :)
I see what you are saying there is equal or more cons on the western world.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I wonder if it is an issue at all.

I have been approached many times by well meaning folks trying to talk in Bangla. I do not have even half way decent skill in that even though it is supposedly my familial language. My mother tongue for all practical purposes is Marathi.

All I do is just politely tell them that I do not know Bangla.

I have seen few people confusing Peruvians and Brazilians based on purely looks. Peruvians speak Spanish while Brazilians Portuguese. It is resolved pretty quickly.

When you live in cosmopolitan places, you will end up with different languages and cultures and people will bump into each other sometimes.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Now for something completely different : https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/tech-entrepreneurs-are-packing-their-bags-and-leaving-canada-former-wattpad-ceo~2924646

Tech entrepreneurs are packing their bags and leaving Canada: former Wattpad CEO

Allen Lau, former CEO of Wattpad and co-founder and operating partner at Two Small Fish Ventures, joins BNN Bloomberg to discuss the harm he sees done to Canada's tech community with an increase to the capital gains tax.
This sucks! And for a change you cann't blame it on Indians or Study Permit holders as much as certain folks want it to be. This means less startups in Canada. Meaning less jobs. Liberals can not do anything right!

@iSaidGoodDay How is it going in the new startups? Are they shifting base?

I was toying with an idea of launching my small venture with angel investment from the family. Guess ... it will have to wait for sometime now till someone finally fixes liberal BS.

Last edited:

XYZ321123

Nov 9, 2021
Grown ups with anonymous IDs writing rebuttal essays in an online forum, wish I had this much free time. Also, I guess this is what Napoleon syndrome is.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Now for something completely different : https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/tech-entrepreneurs-are-packing-their-bags-and-leaving-canada-former-wattpad-ceo~2924646

This sucks! And for a change you cann't blame it on Indians or Study Permit holders as much as certain folks want it to be. This means less startups in Canada. Meaning less jobs. Liberals can not do anything right!

@iSaidGoodDay How is it going in the new startups? Are they shifting base?

I was toying with an idea of launching my small venture with angel investment from the family. Guess ... it will have to wait for sometime now till someone finally fixes liberal BS.
Pretty bad situation overall. I know at least 5 AI startups based out of Vancouver that are packing bags, all are $30mil+ funded promising companies.

About starting an angel investment firm, you can also partner up with existing angel investors who are doing good. Think of something as a LP(Limited Partner) that we have in the likes of YC - they are a medium risk, low cost investment. That way you can start with something as low as $10k-40k and learn without putting too much risks into anything. You will also get to better understand early stage traction, finances, etc to open up your own Angel/VC firm.

Reactions: GandiBaat

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Grown ups with anonymous IDs writing rebuttal essays in an online forum, wish I had this much free time. Also, I guess this is what Napoleon syndrome is.
20 minutes/day on an online forum to help fellow immigrants is far better than wasting an hour on Netflix. This thread is extremely sad for newcomers. Deterring people who discourage outland folks from participating in this thread is important.

I rarely meet people who work 8+hours in a day, most people are usually free and waste their lives in one way or another.

anthonyk02

Mar 13, 2022
I have a theory, but I do need everyone else's opinion too. I think that the Federal goverment knows, that most peoples Work permits expire in MAY or JUNE. That's why they don't do any draws... May and June makes sense because thats when most programs finish, and thats when most colleges and uni's finish their programs... A 3 year PGWP might start in may of 2021, and it will end in May of 2024 (Assuming 3 year). Basically, they are doing what they can to kick the students out.... you can't get a BOWP and stay in Canada if your WP is expired..... it's sad.... thats not the canada I knew a few years ago.