App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
In the USA, it is much easier to bring family on green cards, I have seen many in my family bring parents so easily and vice-versa for siblings also. My uncle in Texas, who is a big Donald Trump fanboy refers to that as chain migration. Supposedly Trump wanted to replace that with some Canada, Australia-like points system but democrats didn't let that bill pass.

Reactions: Hopeful007

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Big reason for that is that Canada(unlike the US) allows individuals build their entire family here. So, large family structures, practices, etc (I'm talking about the good parts of it) flourished here in Canada. E.g. If you are sick, you got a mom/dad/mother-in-law/father-in-law/uncle/etc to look after. In a typical western family, you'd take a medicine and your mom living 15kms away won't even show up.

Most coworkers that I had when I was in the US from India/Pakistan/Philippines/etc had no family support there. We had to live on top of processed foods, more individualistic lifestyle, etc - but I saw the same people live a more family centered life now in Canada. This is a good thing by all means.

About the language thing - given the number and concentration of Indians here - I think that's only logical to happen. I'm not ashamed of talking in my language and especially if it is easy to communicate in it. Ukrainians in Canada do the same and I see no one complain as much.

About westernization - there are some real bad things about 100% westernization:
1. processed food
2. less family focused life
3. no social constraints and currencies

The idea that good things back home are lame isn't as true. I know a lot of people judge someone for not being progressive enough for even following the right thing, but hey, I'm not feeding myself cancer inducing production line food just to look cool. Pseudo standards and shallow progressiveness are bad in the long run.

So many good things in Canadian culture to absorb, but a lot of cautionary tales here as well :)
I see what you are saying there is equal or more cons on the western world.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
About the language thing - given the number and concentration of Indians here - I think that's only logical to happen. I'm not ashamed of talking in my language and especially if it is easy to communicate in it. Ukrainians in Canada do the same and I see no one complain as much.
I wonder if it is an issue at all.

I have been approached many times by well meaning folks trying to talk in Bangla. I do not have even half way decent skill in that even though it is supposedly my familial language. My mother tongue for all practical purposes is Marathi.

All I do is just politely tell them that I do not know Bangla.

I have seen few people confusing Peruvians and Brazilians based on purely looks. Peruvians speak Spanish while Brazilians Portuguese. It is resolved pretty quickly.

When you live in cosmopolitan places, you will end up with different languages and cultures and people will bump into each other sometimes.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Now for something completely different : https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/tech-entrepreneurs-are-packing-their-bags-and-leaving-canada-former-wattpad-ceo~2924646

Tech entrepreneurs are packing their bags and leaving Canada: former Wattpad CEO

Allen Lau, former CEO of Wattpad and co-founder and operating partner at Two Small Fish Ventures, joins BNN Bloomberg to discuss the harm he sees done to Canada's tech community with an increase to the capital gains tax.
This sucks! And for a change you cann't blame it on Indians or Study Permit holders as much as certain folks want it to be. This means less startups in Canada. Meaning less jobs. Liberals can not do anything right!

@iSaidGoodDay How is it going in the new startups? Are they shifting base?

I was toying with an idea of launching my small venture with angel investment from the family. Guess ... it will have to wait for sometime now till someone finally fixes liberal BS.

Last edited:

XYZ321123

Nov 9, 2021
Grown ups with anonymous IDs writing rebuttal essays in an online forum, wish I had this much free time. Also, I guess this is what Napoleon syndrome is.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Now for something completely different : https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/video/tech-entrepreneurs-are-packing-their-bags-and-leaving-canada-former-wattpad-ceo~2924646

This sucks! And for a change you cann't blame it on Indians or Study Permit holders as much as certain folks want it to be. This means less startups in Canada. Meaning less jobs. Liberals can not do anything right!

@iSaidGoodDay How is it going in the new startups? Are they shifting base?

I was toying with an idea of launching my small venture with angel investment from the family. Guess ... it will have to wait for sometime now till someone finally fixes liberal BS.
Pretty bad situation overall. I know at least 5 AI startups based out of Vancouver that are packing bags, all are $30mil+ funded promising companies.

About starting an angel investment firm, you can also partner up with existing angel investors who are doing good. Think of something as a LP(Limited Partner) that we have in the likes of YC - they are a medium risk, low cost investment. That way you can start with something as low as $10k-40k and learn without putting too much risks into anything. You will also get to better understand early stage traction, finances, etc to open up your own Angel/VC firm.

Reactions: GandiBaat

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Grown ups with anonymous IDs writing rebuttal essays in an online forum, wish I had this much free time. Also, I guess this is what Napoleon syndrome is.
20 minutes/day on an online forum to help fellow immigrants is far better than wasting an hour on Netflix. This thread is extremely sad for newcomers. Deterring people who discourage outland folks from participating in this thread is important.

I rarely meet people who work 8+hours in a day, most people are usually free and waste their lives in one way or another.

anthonyk02

Mar 13, 2022
I have a theory, but I do need everyone else's opinion too. I think that the Federal goverment knows, that most peoples Work permits expire in MAY or JUNE. That's why they don't do any draws... May and June makes sense because thats when most programs finish, and thats when most colleges and uni's finish their programs... A 3 year PGWP might start in may of 2021, and it will end in May of 2024 (Assuming 3 year). Basically, they are doing what they can to kick the students out.... you can't get a BOWP and stay in Canada if your WP is expired..... it's sad.... thats not the canada I knew a few years ago.

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
Big reason for that is that Canada(unlike the US) allows individuals build their entire family here. So, large family structures, practices, etc (I'm talking about the good parts of it) flourished here in Canada. E.g. If you are sick, you got a mom/dad/mother-in-law/father-in-law/uncle/etc to look after. In a typical western family, you'd take a medicine and your mom living 15kms away won't even show up.

Most coworkers that I had when I was in the US from India/Pakistan/Philippines/etc had no family support there. We had to live on top of processed foods, more individualistic lifestyle, etc - but I saw the same people live a more family centered life now in Canada. This is a good thing by all means.

About westernization - there are some real bad things about 100% westernization:
1. processed food
2. less family focused life
3. no social constraints and currencies

The idea that good things back home are lame isn't as true. I know a lot of people judge someone for not being progressive enough for even following the right thing, but hey, I'm not feeding myself cancer inducing production line food just to look cool. Pseudo standards and shallow progressiveness are bad in the long run.

So many good things in Canadian culture to absorb, but a lot of cautionary tales here as well :)
Hmm this is a topic which I always get burned because of controversial opinions.
First I am not ashamed of being indian .
Indians I classify into different categories,
First who hates being an indian which you can see among especially punjabis why I called them out because I have heard them telling this all the time ,I am not talking about 100%,they overcompensate

People who loves india and are not ready to change ,this are the guys I think we are talking about here the issue is their social gathering, it is very different from a western or even some indian gatherings for eg place where I am from it is extremely offensive to talk loudly and you can't disrespect people there ,yeah A holes are there no que in that, so when I went for this gatherings I was feeling uncomfortable ,they are nice people but it is too much for me always talking about money, I am frugal and I am financially literate but this is another league. Breaking rules and regulations is another one that is acceptable but bragging really?
Cooking styles this is where I am gonna get most hate first the kitchen is designed for a total different cuisine, you can't cook with a bunch of spices without turning exhaust on and going out wearing same clothes because honestly it stinks this is not only for indian Cooking .
3 rd category I honestly don't care if someone comes and talk to me in malayalam I actuallylike that , now a days people are too sensitive to everything, about this category they mind their own business they don't bother others form groups, shouts etc .I still don't understand the notion of playing loud music and celebrating festival when I was even there in india .I think q large portion of the problem will disappear if people stop forming groups and stop bothering people .look at students protesting in pei really guys seriously?

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I have a theory, but I do need everyone else's opinion too. I think that the Federal goverment knows, that most peoples Work permits expire in MAY or JUNE. That's why they don't do any draws... May and June makes sense because thats when most programs finish, and thats when most colleges and uni's finish their programs... A 3 year PGWP might start in may of 2021, and it will end in May of 2024 (Assuming 3 year). Basically, they are doing what they can to kick the students out.... you can't get a BOWP and stay in Canada if your WP is expired..... it's sad.... thats not the canada I knew a few years ago.
While I wont put it beyond IRCC to use these sneaky techniques, let me put it in this way: when you are doing something for popularity you do it publicly and not in a sneaky way. The simplest answer I guess is they dont care.

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
They are not trying to kick out, that's the surprising part for me.
This is not the country I knew kind of talk makes no sense to me. Most people are motivated by their self interest.
So it's surprising that this government is ok to lose the election over immigration considering how much effort they put into gaslighting Canadians.
I guess it's a cycle, every generation some politicians try to make immigrants cash cows and get burnt. Then come years of austerity, then after it's forgotten it repeats.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
Plan to let undocumented migrants stay in Canada to be examined by PM, ministers

Someone explain to me why the Canadian government is so hellbent on immigration even after what is happening? They are now encouraging illegal immigration, guess what all the lamdas will do.

Maybe these politicians are not personally effected by the cost of living crisis and are making these stupid policies.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-plan-to-let-undocumented-migrants-stay-in-canada-to-be-examined-by-pm/

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hmm this is a topic which I always get burned because of controversial opinions.
First I am not ashamed of being indian .
Indians I classify into different categories,
First who hates being an indian which you can see among especially punjabis why I called them out because I have heard them telling this all the time ,I am not talking about 100%,they overcompensate

People who loves india and are not ready to change ,this are the guys I think we are talking about here the issue is their social gathering, it is very different from a western or even some indian gatherings for eg place where I am from it is extremely offensive to talk loudly and you can't disrespect people there ,yeah A holes are there no que in that, so when I went for this gatherings I was feeling uncomfortable ,they are nice people but it is too much for me always talking about money, I am frugal and I am financially literate but this is another league. Breaking rules and regulations is another one that is acceptable but bragging really?
Cooking styles this is where I am gonna get most hate first the kitchen is designed for a total different cuisine, you can't cook with a bunch of spices without turning exhaust on and going out wearing same clothes because honestly it stinks this is not only for indian Cooking .
3 rd category I honestly don't care if someone comes and talk to me in malayalam I actuallylike that , now a days people are too sensitive to everything, about this category they mind their own business they don't bother others form groups, shouts etc .I still don't understand the notion of playing loud music and celebrating festival when I was even there in india .I think q large portion of the problem will disappear if people stop forming groups and stop bothering people .look at students protesting in pei really guys seriously?
I see this a bit too. Some old immigrants act as if they are something special. So many of them of them (especially the business owners) ran borderline scam/fraud/illegal businesses and are highly likely to be slumlords. Yet, they act high and mighty as if the new ones are an issue. When it unfolds (and it should), old immigrants need to be shamed for how they kept on scamming newcomers. I've seen this with nearly every immigrant group too. Also has a lot to do with people never really doing anything in their lives beyond real estate, cheap retail businesses, etc. No desire to innovate leads them to do what shouldn't be done in a dying economy.

About those who are unwilling to leave the bad habits behind - I agree, they are a pain. Canada happily takes the bottom 25% talent from world and I don't see it changing anytime sooner. Be it those immigrants that came in 80s, 90s and who made Brampton and Surrey the trash they really are or the int'l students - it hasn't really changed from decades. They just scaled it exponentially over the last 5 years.

Canada's lack of focus on a system that rewards people who work hard and can transform the nation is bad. It has been that way since the 80s. I went to "Chai Bar" in Savanna, I left without ever parking my car that day. I was extremely uncomfortable by the type of crowd I saw there - I don't judge, but it felt like a gang-land. Loud music in cars, people with zero expressions on the face, no driving etiquette, possibly high, etc. You know a place is bad if women dodge these locations - you won't ever find a single woman there(most come with groups/familiies), and most I talked to feel uncomfortable in these places. I'm not going back there ever either (Chai bar in Westwinds is lovely though!).

Reactions: PRANIT01