+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
How is life in Australia when compared to canada ? THIS IS NOT TO DEMOTIVATE ANYONE.I am asking a genuine question.
I mean in terms of weather, Opportunities, Housing,racism,life in smaller cities ,
I am sure atleast someone in this group have lived there .It would be great if you can share your experience.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Since the original question was from a 40-year-old who wants to start in the USA in Technology, I questioned the feasibility of an experienced person getting a sustainable job based on an MS in an emerging unproved field. A bulk of these emerging fields are like mushrooms that grow overnight and die instantly.

I agree with all the points you say, on those emerging fields however doing a master's to get an entry-level role, apart from the need for dedicated time and boundless energy, is more suitable for a younger person. Not middle-aged personnel who are often burdened by supporting a family.

No, I don't recommend QA or software development either. QA is long gone and too many run-of-the-mill app coders around now without jobs even in America.
But OP also mentioned he feels like "drowning", which sort of implies he's had a hard time coping with Canada's current economic environment, and is looking at the US as an escape hatch -- something I can relate with. Sure you could look at roles that are more fit to what you can currently do but in doing so, you're also also putting yourself out of the radar from big tech companies who can actually sponsor you to the US. Either OP puts up the work to make himself "more sponsorable" in the eyes of US companies (MS/PhD or by any other path, although I feel MS is cheapest and fastest), OR learn to cope with Canada's economy -- pick your poison....... or maybe fly to Mexico and join the other immigrants crossing the border for asylum, that might be faster.. jk.

If he's already a US citizen then I agree with you, why put yourself in all that hassle, if you can instead capitalize in your existing skillset AND leave Canada's economic environment with no legal hurdle. If the OP goes down the bootcamp route, or through a career shift, as a PMO, etc. how does that make him closer to a green card? AI is big right now, and companies are willing to sponsor at least for the time being until we get a fresh wave of MS/PhDs that specialize in it. If OP is looking to migrate south why not consider that bandwagon while it's still hot?

The 3 categories that I mentioned i.e. managing either programs/projects(PMO) or Architecture or Change/UX, otherwise even being an Industry-specific principal are pathways that need well-experienced, level level-headed personnel, strategic thinkers, and doers. These skills can't be simply acquired in a BootCamp either, they need continuous learning, practice, certifications, and sustained usage in daily work etc...

Technology keeps changing it was mainframe when I started, then OOI like C++, followed by JAVA,.net, then modern Java, Cloud migrations, Big Data, Machine Learning, LLMs and now the latest Gen AI...but the roles I mentioned have remained for decades, the frameworks and governance mechanisms and tools those personnel use also keep evolving, their latest tools have e Gen AI too ;). At the end of the day, technology is used to support a business.
Agreed, it's not about the tech, it's about the making $$$ from tech.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
How is life in Australia when compared to canada ? THIS IS NOT TO DEMOTIVATE ANYONE.I am asking a genuine question.
I mean in terms of weather, Opportunities, Housing,racism,life in smaller cities ,
I am sure atleast someone in this group have lived there .It would be great if you can share your experience.
I have a friend from AU who moved to Canada because it was much easier to get a PR in, and we did talk some of those topics, so this is not a first hand experience:

> Hotter summers, and winters. (IMHO that's better weather than Canada's)
> Pay was better for generic jobs, they can get something like $25-35/hour compared to Canada's $15-20/hour, they weren't specialized in anything particular, so I can't fully say how's the job market in tech or in anything specific.
> Housing is as insane as Vancouver's - that is how it was described to me.
> Racism - very rarely or non-existent

Reactions: PRANIT01

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
I have a friend from AU who moved to Canada because it was much easier to get a PR in, and we did talk some of those topics, so this is not a first hand experience:

> Hotter summers, and winters. (IMHO that's better weather than Canada's)
> Pay was better for generic jobs, they can get something like $25-35/hour compared to Canada's $15-20/hour, they weren't specialized in anything particular, so I can't fully say how's the job market in tech or in anything specific.
> Housing is as insane as Vancouver's - that is how it was described to me.
> Racism - very rarely or non-existent
I know Sydney is damn expensive, Melbourne also those are even worse than torronto and vancover but what about places like brisbane, Adelaide, perth,Canberra and all ,I don't think those are that expensive especially like 30 -45 min away from City ,even if the prices are high as long as the wage offset it ,I don't think it would be an issue and I am not IT I work for supply chain .Weather is the main issue I hate fing winters ,I didn't think it was this bad ,I really underestimated it .
But I saw most pat has weekly 650$ in AUS I was like wow.
I am looking for all options if I am getting a job in US I am done enough is enough, once I get the citizenship I am good .Calgary is not cheap now a days it is almost expensive as torronto, no gain it taking the garbage weather.
But one thing I can tell you is I have never heard anyone complaining about Australia I even searched but still didn't find any. But about canada there is a lot.I don't think canada is a bad place but weather is shi* .Housing is also a main issue and opportunities there is no comparison here especially in calgary. There is no cutting edge tech just real-estate when I see UK ,I am really worried how canada will be in 10 yrs you can't sell real-estate and run the country and stupid f ing liberals are inviting 1.5 mil ,I am an immigrant I don't care who ever come here but 1.5 m in 3 yrs that is way too much .

Last edited:

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I know Sydney is damn expensive, Melbourne also those are even worse than torronto and vancover but what about places like brisbane, Adelaide, perth,Canberra and all ,I don't think those are that expensive especially like 30 -45 min away from City ,even if the prices are high as long as the wage offset it ,I don't think it would be an issue and I am not IT I work for supply chain .Weather is the main issue I hate fing winters ,I didn't think it was this bad ,I really underestimated it .
I am looking for all options if I am getting a job in US I am done enough is enough, once I get the citizenship I am good .Calgary is not cheap now a days it is almost expensive as torronto, no gain it taking the garbage weather.
But one thing I can tell you is I have never heard anyone complaining about Australia I even searched but still didn't find any. But about canada there is a lot.I don't think canada is a bad place but weather is shi* .Housing is also a main issue and opportunities there is no comparison here especially in calgary. There is no cutting edge tech just real-estate when I see UK ,I am really worried how canada will be in 10 yrs you can't sell real-estate and run the country and stupid f ing liberals are inviting 1.5 mil ,I am an immigrant I don't care who ever come here but 1.5 m in 3 yrs that is way too much .
Is this your first winter in Calgary? I was expecting extreme winters for my first year, but weather in Calgary has been so nice this winter till today. It's going to get very bad for the next 2 weeks, but I don't think it has been bad so far - it was the warmest winter in years(if not decades). I hadn't had a chance to take out my Parka yet, wore my other jacket maybe twice so far(today was the 2nd day), and mainly used not-so-warm-clothing so far.

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
Is this your first winter in Calgary? I was expecting extreme winters for my first year, but weather in Calgary has been so nice this winter till today. It's going to get very bad for the next 2 weeks, but I don't think it has been bad so far - it was the warmest winter in years(if not decades). I hadn't had a chance to take out my Parka yet, wore my other jacket maybe twice so far(today was the 2nd day), and mainly used not-so-warm-clothing so far.
Nope my 2nd winter but you are right,this winter was good but the ptsd feom previous one was enough. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Nope my 2nd winter but you are right,this winter was good but the ptsd feom previous one was enough. Lol
Pranit, how are you? How’s your supply chain career going in Calgary? I personally did not see much of a market there. Besides O&G companies, there’s no good companies for supply chain. Except maybe CP and consulting

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
Pranit, how are you? How’s your supply chain career going in Calgary? I personally did not see much of a market there. Besides O&G companies, there’s no good companies for supply chain. Except maybe CP and consulting
I am good .Yes you are right there are not many good companies , the company I work for was good now that is not the case .If I get a job in torronto I will move because calgary is also expensive,It used to be cheap but not now.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Agreed, not very much are complaining about AU. Even my friend is contemplating to go back once they get their Canadian citizenship sorted out. I did consider AU, but I work in chip design which very much concentrated in the US right now, and AU has virtually no opportunities in the field.

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
Agreed, not very much are complaining about AU. Even my friend is contemplating to go back once they get their Canadian citizenship sorted out. I did consider AU, but I work in chip design which very much concentrated in the US right now, and AU has virtually no opportunities in the field.
The bright side about your field is pay is amazing but opportunities are scarce the issue with supply chain is pay is garbage that is what I am trying to switch fields to correct supply chain or Operations excellence and Continuous Improvement in manufacturing, that is why I am upgrading myself by taking a lot of certifications once I reach a certain level I will move to torronto and after that out .

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
But OP also mentioned he feels like "drowning", which sort of implies he's had a hard time coping with Canada's current economic environment, and is looking at the US as an escape hatch -- something I can relate with. Sure you could look at roles that are more fit to what you can currently do but in doing so, you're also also putting yourself out of the radar from big tech companies who can actually sponsor you to the US. Either OP puts up the work to make himself "more sponsorable" in the eyes of US companies (MS/PhD or by any other path, although I feel MS is cheapest and fastest), OR learn to cope with Canada's economy -- pick your poison....... or maybe fly to Mexico and join the other immigrants crossing the border for asylum, that might be faster.. jk.

If he's already a US citizen then I agree with you, why put yourself in all that hassle, if you can instead capitalize in your existing skillset AND leave Canada's economic environment with no legal hurdle. If the OP goes down the bootcamp route, or through a career shift, as a PMO, etc. how does that make him closer to a green card? AI is big right now, and companies are willing to sponsor at least for the time being until we get a fresh wave of MS/PhDs that specialize in it. If OP is looking to migrate south why not consider that bandwagon while it's still hot?

Agreed, it's not about the tech, it's about the making $$$ from tech.
I don't know if the person who posted originally is drowning, however, I have personally seen Canadian immigrant families with a spouse either not working not just making minimum wages. Such families even with one spouse in IT struggle with Toronto or Vancouver's Cost of Living, in such scenarios having taken a TN visa to work for a US employer at a higher pay has been a boon to them. The issue with TN is spouse cannot work but can use the ample opportunity in the USA to reskill and get her/his own TN visa. If the same family has college-going kids, fees can turn out to be high. But if both partners make good money in the uSA by then it should ok.

A family making a minimum of 250+ CAD otherwise is doing well here in GTA or BC itself. However individuals is struggling in Canada I agree with you will be a sore loser in the USA also, it is only going to become worse as work for him/her USA needs more intense work and skills compared to Canada.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
It is more or less the same in both countries if you ask me, I have lived almost 8 years in Melbourne and 2 in Toronto. The cost of living is comparable. The Heat Down Under vs the Snow here.

If one is in the mining Industry Australia has some great opportunities. Government services are much better there too. The emphasis on saving for retirement is greater there, they have a mandatory superannuation equivalent of Canadian RRSP. Timezone and proximity to most Asian countries allow one to be more in touch with family, easily visit them, etc..

Canada has poorer government services, far from Asia. Here heavy machinery manufacturing is better than Aus. The biggest advantage is proximity to the USA, being nearshore to them and more jobs etc... TN visa allows an opportunity to move to the USA on a job...

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
I don't know if the person who posted originally is drowning,
He did, first line of the post.

however, I have personally seen Canadian immigrant families with a spouse either not working not just making minimum wages. Such families even with one spouse in IT struggle with Toronto or Vancouver's Cost of Living, in such scenarios having taken a TN visa to work for a US employer at a higher pay has been a boon to them. The issue with TN is spouse cannot work but can use the ample opportunity in the USA to reskill and get her/his own TN visa. If the same family has college-going kids, fees can turn out to be high. But if both partners make good money in the uSA by then it should ok.

A family making a minimum of 250+ CAD otherwise is doing well here in GTA or BC itself.
You mean 250K each parent right? Good luck ever purchasing a home with just a 250K income, given that nearly half of that are going to taxes, and houses here in Vancouver are easily $2-3M ea. plus rent at 3K/month, you'll probably have enough saved for a down payment when you're close to retirement. I recently got an ad in the mail offering reasonable houses starting at $2.25M, how is $2.25M reasonable? And it's not even anywhere near downtown Vancouver. At this rate I might have to move to Ottawa, LOL. May the winters have mercy on my Filipino blood - and I already find Vancouver too cold.

However individuals is struggling in Canada I agree with you will be a sore loser in the USA also, it is only going to become worse as work for him/her USA needs more intense work and skills compared to Canada.
So it's same old, same old, you want intense pay? then prepare for intense work and skills. You can only do less intense work, and have less intense skills, better start preparing to budget that less intense pay.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
The bright side about your field is pay is amazing but opportunities are scarce
Amazing once I cross the border, but here... well it's not bad, but not amazing either, just enough to go by and save something on the side, but not enough to save for a house.

the issue with supply chain is pay is garbage that is what I am trying to switch fields to correct supply chain or Operations excellence and Continuous Improvement in manufacturing, that is why I am upgrading myself by taking a lot of certifications once I reach a certain level I will move to torronto and after that out .
Good Luck mate! Who knows, maybe if CANZUK ever materializes one day, then moving to the AU would be just as easy as booking flight.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
The bright side about your field is pay is amazing but opportunities are scarce the issue with supply chain is pay is garbage that is what I am trying to switch fields to correct supply chain or Operations excellence and Continuous Improvement in manufacturing, that is why I am upgrading myself by taking a lot of certifications once I reach a certain level I will move to torronto and after that out .
Just go back to India and build your career there. Salaries have gone up drastically and you will be saving way more there than any of these western countries where cost of living is insanely high for no reason and from my personal experience, quality of life worse in worse some aspects. So much so called "developed" countries.

Last edited: