+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Which subreddit were you banned from?
Pretty much all Canadian housing related ones and r/india. This used to be my Reddit pic

Canadians would automatically get triggered

people still don’t realize it’s the internet, guy behind username could be anyone and from anywhere but still they get mad.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Pretty much all Canadian housing related ones and r/india. This used to be my Reddit pic

Canadians would automatically get triggered

people still don’t realize it’s the internet, guy behind username could be anyone and from anywhere but still they get mad.
What is this green flag behind your name now?

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Pakistani flag, to troll Indians.
I'm aware of the sports rivalry in Cricket. I was there in Australia when the 2015 Cricket World cup happened, we have heard about clashes between the fans from the two countries I never realized it is there in immigration and other forums also o_O

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I'm aware of the sports rivalry in Cricket. I was there in Australia when the 2015 Cricket World cup happened, we have heard about clashes between the fans from the two countries I never realized it is there in immigration and other forums also o_O
I think there will always be people who hate each other because they feel it is right with zero introspection. Some forums and subreddits definitely collect the worst-of-worst and compound this hate for sure!

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
I feel like drowning, I guess I need to move to the US and change into tech.
Do you guys think it's worth it after 40?

I saw some bootcamps for tech that pay minimum wage until you get a job and then percentage. Are these legit? Are they worth it? I am hesitant to go back to university.

I have taken statistics courses, maybe I could do big data kind of stuff?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda

I saw some bootcamps for tech that pay minimum wage until you get a job and then percentage. Are these legit? Are they worth it? I am hesitant to go back to university.

Depends on what you currently do. A lot of tech work is over-engineering(containers for containers for containers) at the moment, which is being significantly challenged by AI. Start with where you are and what's the local maxima of it in Canada.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020

Personally, If you really want to build up on tech, my suggestion is try getting an online Masters from the US.

The University of Texas Austin, offers MS in Computer Science, MS AI and MS in Data Science for only 10K USD - fully asynchronous learning. If you're really in a pinch you can get an MS CS in Georgia Tech for under 7K USD.

These are public and accredited universities, with some of them even making the top 50 in the world's best universities -- What I'm trying to say is that they're completely legit, given that tech fresh grads in California earns 100K USD average, you could probably get your money back while doing what you're doing now.

Unlike Canada, the US don't look at age, as long as you can get sponsored you have a shot.

Reactions: Lord_Tony

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Personally, If you really want to build up on tech, my suggestion is try getting an online Masters from the US.

The University of Texas Austin, offers MS in Computer Science, MS AI and MS in Data Science for only 10K USD - fully asynchronous learning. If you're really in a pinch you can get an MS CS in Georgia Tech for under 7K USD.

These are public and accredited universities, with some of them even making the top 50 in the world's best universities -- What I'm trying to say is that they're completely legit, given that tech fresh grads in California earns 100K USD average, you could probably get your money back while doing what you're doing now.

Unlike Canada, the US don't look at age, as long as you can get sponsored you have a shot.
These MS sure will add to one's profile but will they help one get a job?

The Fresh grad making 130K in California or NY generally are mostly hard core coders with a lot of energy and ability to work tirelessly for 15-18 hours daily for many months, I don't feel not every 40 or 50 year old can sustain such jobs. My suggestion is middle aged personnel should attain suitable skills that complements their ability and find jobs where they can sustain and put to use these skills. Where I have seen them flourish is managing either project (PMO) or Architecture or Change/UX etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda

The Fresh grad making 130K in California or NY generally are core coders with a lot of energy and ability to work tirelessly for 15-18 hours daily for many months, I don't feel not every 40 or 50 year old can sustain such jobs. My suggestion is middle aged personnel should attain skills and find jobs where they can sustain and put to use these skills, where I have seen them flourish is managing either project (PMO) or Architecture or Change/UX etc...
Precisely!

I don't think it is easy to get a DS job, not without a good mathematical background. Becoming an entry-level engineer using a degree for big-data doesn't sound like a smart move, it isn't a field where entry-level engineers find success either. No one wants a data scientist to share half-baked insights or an entry-level programmer to write their data pipelines.

Reactions: Lord_Tony

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Precisely!

I don't think it is easy to get a DS job, not without a good mathematical background. Becoming an entry-level engineer using a degree for big-data doesn't sound like a smart move, it isn't a field where entry-level engineers find success either. No one wants a data scientist to share half-baked insights or an entry-level programmer to write their data pipelines.
When I was in college we called the Data scientists plainly as mathematical statisticians, apart from being college professors they used to work in marketing firms, then stock markets and investing companies became their next frontier. The DS is a more scientific and tool based application of that, I agree probability and statistics are mathematical areas which are not every ones cup of tea.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020

The Fresh grad making 130K in California or NY generally are mostly hard core coders with a lot of energy and ability to work tirelessly for 15-18 hours daily for many months, I don't feel not every 40 or 50 year old can sustain such jobs. My suggestion is middle aged personnel should attain suitable skills that complements their ability and find jobs where they can sustain and put to use these skills. Where I have seen them flourish is managing either project (PMO) or Architecture or Change/UX etc...
It depends on the field, I'm a semiconductor chip designer, and in this field it would be quite challenging to get in without a master's degree, so from that perspective yes a master's degree will definitely increase your chances of getting in.

Since your combining data science and coding and also looking make the big bucks you hear in tech, you'll likely be looking at AI algorithm development. They get paid well, because the demand right now is high and only a few people actually knows how to combine complex mathematical models with optimized software programming. If you're hoping to land a job in FAANG, then a master's in AI will surely help.

BUT if you're looking to do work of the typical software engineer, like QA or software development, well yeah, you'll be putting up long hours, and a bootcamp would be a much better solution for you. What I was saying was since OP was looking to dip their toes in tech might as well dive head on, given that an MS at 10K or 7K might be the same price as few months of bootcamp.

Which brings us back to the US part of the OP's question, if you're not looking to get into the big companies because there's too much competition and you can't keep with their workload, or whatever the reason maybe, then how likely are you to get sponsored by a smaller company? I'm assuming the end goal is to stay in the US. The US has higher wages, lower taxes and a better housing market - that's already 3 reasons why anyone would want to travel south. A Master's from the US and in the right field, will help you land a job, and would even help you in immigration via advanced degree H1B and EB-2. Is worth it? Well, it depends on the person.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Since the original question was from a 40-year-old who wants to start in the USA in Technology, I questioned the feasibility of an experienced person getting a sustainable job based on an MS in an emerging unproved field. A bulk of these emerging fields are like mushrooms that grow overnight and die instantly.

I agree with all the points you say, on those emerging fields however doing a master's to get an entry-level role, apart from the need for dedicated time and boundless energy, is more suitable for a younger person. Not middle-aged personnel who are often burdened by supporting a family.

No, I don't recommend QA or software development either. QA is long gone and too many run-of-the-mill app coders around now without jobs even in America.

The 3 categories that I mentioned i.e. managing either programs/projects(PMO) or Architecture or Change/UX, otherwise even being an Industry-specific principal are pathways that need well-experienced, level level-headed personnel, strategic thinkers, and doers. These skills can't be simply acquired in a BootCamp either, they need continuous learning, practice, certifications, and sustained usage in daily work etc...

Technology keeps changing it was mainframe when I started, then OOI like C++, followed by JAVA,.net, then modern Java, Cloud migrations, Big Data, Machine Learning, LLMs and now the latest Gen AI...but the roles I mentioned have remained for decades, the frameworks and governance mechanisms and tools those personnel use also keep evolving, their latest tools have e Gen AI too ;). At the end of the day, technology is used to support a business.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay