Results: Rounds of invitations
No Program Specified
Number of invitations issued:
4,300Footnote *
Rank required to be invited to apply: 4,300 or above
Date and time of round: August 15, 2023 at 14:23:51 UTC
CRS score of lowest-ranked candidate invited: 496
Tie-breaking rule: August 01, 2023 at 12:59:52 UTC

Looks like no category based draw this time around !
So they sent 4,300 invitations. Out of curiosity, does anyone have a roughly idea of how many of those invitations get rejected (%)? Like people who hasn't actually completed their 1-year work experience or that might have gotten invited by a different country.

Also, 4,300 invitations means 4,300 people or 4,300 profiles + spouses and children?

Shravan_Kumar

Sep 21, 2020
So they sent 4,300 invitations. Out of curiosity, does anyone have a roughly idea of how many of those invitations get rejected (%)? Like people who hasn't actually completed their 1-year work experience or that might have gotten invited by a different country.

Also, 4,300 invitations means 4,300 people or 4,300 profiles + spouses and children?
Don’t know of the number that gets rejected. The number of invitations means number of profiles, the number of people might be higher depending on the number of dependents.

Reactions: andrews17
K

KenshiMK1

Interesting.... Have come across this website a month ago and was reading it for the last month. Decided to register and chat a bit with other prospective immigrants. As someone who moved to Canada almost 20 years ago, here is couple of thoughts I have been having for the last 2 years:
  • While Reddit doesn't represent a general population and exists in kind of an echo chamber, it is noticeable that Canadians are slowly turning against immigrants. I think @iSaidGoodDay mentioned that Indians are targeted; this is not correct. Indians are not blamed at all. As a matter of fact, most Canadians understand that it's normal to want to immigrate to a more developed country. However, Liberals are blamed for unsustainable numbers. That can be very easily seen from the polls. At the same time, do not forget that most young Canadians won't vote. Elders do and they do it religiously.
  • Are Indians students a problem? Technically speaking, both yes and no. Why no: I moved here in 2005. I have seen several waves of international students. No-name colleges have always existed and previously, Chinese and Malaysians students were in those schools. After that, there were Nigerians. Now, it's Indians. However, I do think (my personal opinion) that there is no fire without smoke; the reason why no name diploma mills are created in batches are mainly because there is a demand. Students that attend them do not possess any major marketable skills, they don't have strong credentials from India, they don't have good GPAs, they don't have in-demand professions... Those diploma mills are catered for them and thus, there is a blame on students who make a decision to go there. Even on this forum, anyone can see that no one really cares about their future career prospects and they choose University Canada West and schools of similar caliber. What makes situation worse is those students making YouTube videos about how to get food for free (food banks). That pisses off Canadians to the max and unfortunately, becomes one of the reasons while Canadians are turning into anti-immigration. Also, don't forget the cultural aspect. Timmies, McD and Walmart was always for kids and grandparents. In 2005, it was very common to get into Timmies and be greeted by a 15-16 year old kid. Now, it's only immigrants. Many Canadians feel like this has a direct affect on their culture. While this might not published in online sources, it's something that many are talking about.
  • Immigrations is becoming a major political topic. I have never seen CBC or GlobeMail publishing an article criticizing immigration back in 2016-2017. Heck, if someone would criticize that, you would get SJWs jumping in and calling you racist. That turned majorly in 2023. I have seen @GandiBaat mentioning that someone left Canada because of health issues. That, unfortunately, is becoming a norm. People feel the negatives of immigration in 1 way or another.
  • Personally, I am conflicted about high level of immigration. On one hand, I came here in 2005 and in 2012 I have already purchased first home and in 2016, the second one. If immigration won't decrease, I would sell my condo in Toronto and I am set for life. I would just retire and do wood work all day. At the same time, I feel bad when I read posts from someone like @imransyed who very clearly regrets his decision to come to Canada. The worst part is there is absolutely nothing I can advise that will fix the situation. I came to a different Canada and while that Canada had its own set of issues, it's nothing like what I see new immigrants are going through daily. What baffles me the most is that even on this thread, people are still hoping to be invited under STEM. I am a staff engineer at one of the major tech companies. We don't have lack of CVs. It's that simple. I have friends and connections all over Canada; banks, insurance companies, fintech, edtech... You name it. I probably know a person or two from that company. No one, I repeat, NO ONE has issues finding software devs. The fact that many on this forum are ready to drop everything and move to today's Canada surprises me. It just shows that doing prior research is fairly pointless; people will always think that the situation won't apply to them.
  • No housing. It's Hunger Games right now in Toronto. Occasionally I think that if I were a jerk, I could have easily charged my tenants 3000. No problems.
I have no idea what would happen next. Honestly, this whole situation should not have happened in the first place. What I do know is that Trudeau is making one mistake after another. Cheating on his wife, allowing foreign investment again, saying publicly that housing is not his issue, and having PP as an opponent doesn't look good to him. I do think that he will halt temporary immigration. It will happen closer to elections but not too close enough; that will give him some points back. At the same time, it might be too late at that stage.

I won't be posting here too often. I will be happy to answer any questions or just chat :) Have a great night/day!

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
What baffles me the most is that even on this thread, people are still hoping to be invited under STEM. I am a staff engineer at one of the major tech companies. We don't have lack of CVs. It's that simple. I have friends and connections all over Canada; banks, insurance companies, fintech, edtech... You name it. I probably know a person or two from that company. No one, I repeat, NO ONE has issues finding software devs. The fact that many on this forum are ready to drop everything and move to today's Canada surprises me. It just shows that doing prior research is fairly pointless; people will always think that the situation won't apply to them.
Thing is, recruiting a dev is not hard. Recruiting a good dev is HARD. Sometimes very hard. My employer takes 4-5 months minimum to recruit a dev. Does it matter? If you are implementing vendor provided solution its not an issue. If you are developing custom solutions for your business, its probably might work. If you are developing platforms for other, it matters -- a lot.

1 year back, we were begging good candidates on linkedin to appear in interviews. I also personally received invites from Google and Samsung whom I replied to.

Right now, a lot of companies have a hiring freeze. Why? Because it is fashionable. Even though profits are record high. Funny business is ours.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

dreamneli

Apr 28, 2022
Hi guys, I need advise. My sister got invited to submit application for PR via express entry. For her proof of funds, I wrote a letter stating that I will provide it to her when she arrives in Canada. Since I am already a PR in Canada I thought it would be easier that way and I also provided my bank statements. However, she got a request stating that she needs to provide an updated personal POF in her name and not in someone else's name (lol), with a transaction history of the related account for the past 6 months and explain all the sources of funds to her account. I have transferred the full PoF to her account now. Is it enough for her to write a letter explaining her source of funds that it was from me. How do we go about this. Any advise will be helpful. Our time is running out.

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
Thing is, recruiting a dev is not hard. Recruiting a good dev is HARD. Sometimes very hard. My employer takes 4-5 months minimum to recruit a dev. Does it matter? If you are implementing vendor provided solution its not an issue. If you are developing custom solutions for your business, its probably might work. If you are developing platforms for other, it matters -- a lot.

Right now, a lot of companies have a hiring freeze. Why? Because it is fashionable. Even though profits are record high. Funny business is ours.
If he's a staff engineer at a tech company, his perspective is skewed. Very few people get to that level in big-tech. A lot of talented seniors from my previous company got down-leveled when joining FAANG (staff -> senior, senior-> mid) during the hiring boom.

Most dev in my current company are questionable - Canadian graduate (both domestic/international) from top 4 university ran circle along the so-called senior (on-paper). My friend working at a big 5 as a dev (not in Toronto/Vancouver) recently got promoted to senior after literally 1 yoe (he was a bachelor graduate without any internship). This is the reality outside of tech hub.

Last year, I had a lot of tech companies offering position + immigration assistance (Alberta tech PNP) - I was too scared to take it as layoffs loomed near as I was waiting for 2 yoe in Canada to safe guard my PR route just in case my PGWP run out. I'm just waiting for the market to come up to take the bait.

Last edited:

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
If he's a staff engineer at a tech company, his perspective is skewed. Very few people get to that level in big-tech.
I do not know anything about him.

Most dev in my current company are questionable - Canadian graduate (domestic/international) ran circle along the so-called senior (on-paper). This is the reality outside of Toronto/Vancouver
I personally believe its a question of fitment. A dev with great skills will be a nightmare for a team where those skills are not needed. If you are in a bank, you know what your scale of solution will be. It will be self limiting. You will know what your priority will be -- mostly compliance. It will be more important to prove to the porwer that be that your solution is compliant with all the standards and specs. If it does not scale to serve half of the planet, its not that big of an issue.

I worked in such an organization once. My manager had to "manage" a lot of my solutions because they were not in the reference architecture of the organization. We were able to still sail through because the things we were making were a novality back then and there were no "experts" and major vendors with "industry standard" solutions. We were the fringe in a sense. We would not have been successful if it were these days.

Upshot is, we stood out like a sore thumb. He is right now in SF working for the linkedin. I also left the organization once he decided to leave. I would not be able to live there comfortably. He used to take a lot of shit from the COO.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
However, Liberals are blamed for unsustainable numbers.
Liberal are facing anti incumbency. A lot. They are being blamed for practically everything now. Some of it is astroturfing as well. PP does it a lot, Conservatives do it a lot. I believe Liberals do it as well. I believe a lot of it is because of a simple reason: space. Erin O'Toole was too bland and lite for a conservative leader. True-dough ate him for the breakfast.

So... conservatives (over?) corrected and now we have PP. PP has to push a hard anti liberal agenda. He will hit them everywhere. Not that Liberals are anywhere blameless. But if the conservatives have to make a space for them, they will have to polarize the population. They will have to make fence sitting and nuanced thinking less popular. Immigrants... will get heat due to this.

All of issues that Canadian face have nothing to do with immigration, its just internal contradictions of Canada itself.

Reactions: imransyed
K

KenshiMK1

1 year back, we were begging good candidates on linkedin to appear in interviews. I also personally received invites from Google and Samsung whom I replied to.

Not hard if a company pays good money. We are currently in the process of making an offer to Apollo creator (Reddit wrapper). I won't be disclosing how much we will be paying him but it's not 80K.

The biggest challenge in Canada is to able to keep senior/staff engineers. The USA pays so much more than keeping strong engineers in Canada working for local businesses is borderline impossible. Shopify was semi-successful in that but it's history now.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Not hard if a company pays good money. We are currently in the process of making an offer to Apollo creator (Reddit wrapper). I won't be disclosing how much we will be paying him but it's not 80K.

The biggest challenge in Canada is to able to keep senior/staff engineers. The USA pays so much more than keeping strong engineers in Canada working for local businesses is borderline impossible. Shopify was semi-successful in that but it's history now.
We pay north of 200K to intermediate-early senior devs (Cash + shares). Trouble is, the ones we want get 250K USD or more in USA. And they have less taxes to boot.

K

KenshiMK1

Liberal are facing anti incumbency. A lot. They are being blamed for practically everything now. Some of it is astroturfing as well. PP does it a lot, Conservatives do it a lot. I believe Liberals do it as well. I believe a lot of it is because of a simple reason: space. Erin O'Toole was too bland and lite for a conservative leader. True-dough ate him for the breakfast.

So... conservatives (over?) corrected and now we have PP. PP has to push a hard anti liberal agenda. He will hit them everywhere. Not that Liberals are anywhere blameless. But if the conservatives have to make a space for them, they will have to polarize the population. They will have to make fence sitting and nuanced thinking less popular. Immigrants... will get heat due to this.

All of issues that Canadian face have nothing to do with immigration, its just internal contradictions of Canada itself.
The problem is not very simple. Liberals are being blamed for one particular reason. They caused the crisis. Conservatives just use it. Would they be better? In my opinion, no. As a matter of fact, I think they would be worse.

O'Toole wasn't a bad leader; he just lost support from Conservative. Conservatives lost; Liberals didn't win.

All of the issues that Canada currently faces is the result of Canadian policies for God knows how long. Personally, I hated conservatives. No one here knows or went through that but I barely got my PR. Conservatives just cancelled all of the applications. Right now, PR takes 6 month, right? When I applied, it took a year and everyone was surprised; it would take regular person 2 years easily. When Trudeau came, man, I was happy. A young charismatic leader that said that housing is getting unaffordable and HE WILL TACKLE the problem. Won that election with flying colors. I was on the streets with my friends and we were happy. 10 years later... Well.... He has to go.

Reactions: imransyed
K

KenshiMK1

We pay north of 200K to intermediate-early senior devs (Cash + shares). Trouble is, the ones we want get 250K USD or more in USA. And they have less taxes to boot.
Agree. Canada is losing a battle against the US. At my company, we approach it by paying the USA salary but in CAD. So, if one would make 200K USD, he would get an offer for 200k CAD.

K

KenshiMK1

We just started hiring. Amazon did the same. Google and FB are hiring. Just had a dinner today with head at Shopify; they are opening couple of positions in September. I am cautiously optimistic about this Fall. Not really looking to jump companies but many of my mentees are struggling and I hope they would land something.