+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
I do not mind BSing my way in but... just be mindful of leaving trails. It usually does not hurt you but sometimes it does. Hiring is getting more and more centralized and consolidated for cutting cost. There are large sourcing companies which are used by a lot of employers. It can get back to you when you are changing jobs and sourcing company notices you last profile. Lastly, there are referral bonuses due to which large employers maintain a database of CVs -- to check if they interviewed you before.

All I mean to say is, world is getting less and less forgetting. Storage is cheap. So, its not that do not BS, just be sure that it is not coming back to you.
Absolutely. For example I wouldn't add different fake work experiences to "curate" my cv towards different jobs. Actual experience is paramount but it needs a little window dressing is all. And all this is only applicable to get your foot in the door. I would only put stuff like ongoing education to get a recruiters attention. If somebody asks me in the future what happened, well.. It was ongoing then and I ended up not finish it.

After that, your skills and experience takes over in an interview.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Absolutely. For example I wouldn't add different fake work experiences to "curate" my cv towards different jobs. Actual experience is paramount but it needs a little window dressing is all. And all this is only applicable to get your foot in the door. I would only put stuff like ongoing education to get a recruiters attention. If somebody asks me in the future what happened, well.. It was ongoing then and I ended up not finish it.

After that, your skills and experience takes over in an interview.
I think lying in general over a resume is a bad idea (CVs are academic, not job search focused). Getting a job isn't very hard right now, focusing on the right skills, not doing spray and pray job search with networking is pretty efficient. Recruiters spend as less as a few seconds on your resume, ongoing education has not shown to be effective imo.

Here's a good overview of why certifications == bad employee perception exist(at least in tech): https://interviewing.io/blog/why-you-shouldnt-list-certifications-on-linkedIn

There are very few exceptions to these certifications or ongoing education (e.g. GPHR for HR folks, Cloudera certifications for Data folks, etc). Remember, if you are applying to a large org, you are selling to the gatekeeper, often those gatekeepers have a different level of sensitivity to these things.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Seems like a loophole in Canadian immigration... I sometimes feel like the one who is disadvantaged by Canada's immigration program is Canadian-born citizens themselves.
But how many newborn Canadians are there nowadays anyway? Wasn't the all time low fertility rate one of the reasons Canada is relying on immigration to stabilize it's population. The ideal rate is 2.1, the current rate is ~1.4, the immigrants make up for the missing 0.7 and maybe a little bit more to help increase GDP. If Canada stopped bringing in immigrants the overall economy would be at risk -- and by extension the quality of life of its citizens; it can't make the process harder either (it already is though), otherwise they'll loose the candidates to other countries like the US and EU all things being held equal.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Right now there are many older and retiring Canadians, and fewer newborn ones. And the older ones needs immigrants to foot the bill.

Reactions: Pearly000

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
But how many newborn Canadians are there nowadays anyway? Wasn't the all time low fertility rate one of the reasons Canada is relying on immigration to stabilize it's population. The ideal rate is 2.1, the current rate is ~1.4, the immigrants make up for the missing 0.7 and maybe a little bit more to help increase GDP. If Canada stopped bringing in immigrants the overall economy would be at risk -- and by extension the quality of life of its citizens; it can't make the process harder either (it already is though), otherwise they'll loose the candidates to other countries like the US and EU all things being held equal.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Right now there are many older and retiring Canadians, and fewer newborn ones. And the older ones needs immigrants to foot the bill.
I was gonna say that the only counter-argument to your statement would be that foreigners or recent immigrants take entry levels roles that Canadians would receive and get trained on but there is a healthy preferential treatment for Canadian grads. I see many Canadian grads with less experience get chosen over foreigners with 3x or 5x experience simply because they are Canadian.

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
hi under personal history, I needa declare my past 10 years activity. From 2011 to 2016, I studied ACCA, but from 2011 to 2012, I studied it in Country A and from 2012 Dec to 2016, I studied it in Country B. Do I need to split it into two periods? Or since when I get the certificate at the end, I was in Country B, do I just include from 2011 to 2012 as per certificate and in Country B. Or do I mention the actual time frame of 2012-2016 in Country B. As the time frame in Country A is over ten years, I don't include it. Which option should be better? Please advise me.

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
I was gonna say that the only counter-argument to your statement would be that foreigners or recent immigrants take entry levels roles that Canadians would receive and get trained on but there is a healthy preferential treatment for Canadian grads. I see many Canadian grads with less experience get chosen over foreigners with 3x or 5x experience simply because they are Canadian.
Agreed, at least in my case as soon as I joined, my canadian colleague who i was supposed to be working with in a team was started on training for promotion. And now I will be stuck in the entry level position this guy was doing for over ten years. He does not have a university degree, or even a college degree. I have a Bachelors with 3.0 gpa but from India. I am slightly over qualified for the role but my experience was outside Canada. My office is majority white Canadians and all/most entry positions are new immigrants. Its what it is.

Can anybody explain why Canadians are so anti-innovation though? It seems like they choose to refuse cutting edge/fairly modern tech as much as they can.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Agreed, at least in my case as soon as I joined, my canadian colleague who i was supposed to be working with in a team was started on training for promotion. And now I will be stuck in the entry level position this guy was doing for over ten years. He does not have a university degree, or even a college degree. I have a Bachelors with 3.0 gpa but from India. I am slightly over qualified for the role but my experience was outside Canada. My office is majority white Canadians and all/most entry positions are new immigrants. Its what it is.

Can anybody explain why Canadians are so anti-innovation though? It seems like they choose to refuse cutting edge/fairly modern tech as much as they can.
They are not anti-innovation (in big companies, idk about small companies), they are just 5-10 years behind US in most things

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018

Well, this is something even we have been wondering since past so many months. In terms of technology - both IT & Telecom at least, Digitization in BFSI, Healthcare etc they are at least 8-10 yrs behind India.
Even we have not been able to identify the reason for sure but I feel its a combination of rigidity & "Chalta hai" attitude on both Consumers as well as Business' end along with lack of competition in many sectors. Also the RoI might not justify in a lot of fields considering the very low consumer population to invest in Digitization.
But sometimes it does feel as if we have come from a developed country to an under developed country when we use few of the services.

PS - Not implying that its all bad. Above point is strictly in terms of their technology current adoption & future plans.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
They are not anti-innovation (in big companies, idk about small companies), they are just 5-10 years behind US in most things
I think it is more cultural rather than anti-innovation. The hustle culture in US is not present in Canada. At the end, for most people to make money in Canada, they either work for US orgs or they either invest in real estate. The rush to create something else is rare.

The way Silicon valley(SV) breeds talent is something else entirely too. With all the faults SV has, I've never met more talented folks in a single place anywhere else on earth in tech.

Reactions: feanor13

ImpatientDragon

Feb 23, 2022
I think it is more cultural rather than anti-innovation. The hustle culture in US is not present in Canada. At the end, for most people to make money in Canada, they either work for US orgs or they either invest in real estate. The rush to create something else is rare.

The way Silicon valley(SV) breeds talent is something else entirely too. With all the faults SV has, I've never met more talented folks in a single place anywhere else on earth in tech.
Thanks for this great insight, this will definitely help in my immigration journey. Thank you.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Silicon Valley is Silicon Valley man, there is no comparison not only in Canada but the rest of the world. There is a reason why people flock there from the world over. California as a state has a GDP of 3.6Trillion vs 2.2Trillion of Canada as a whole.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

Never worked in US and coming from Africa, even I was gobsmacked by how behind the trends Canada is w.r.t to technology and digitalization. I've concluded it's due to low competition and low appetite for fraud ( compared to where I'm coming from :D ).

pinemaple

Star Member
Apr 27, 2022
Never worked in US and coming from Africa, even I was gobsmacked by how behind the trends Canada is w.r.t to technology and digitalization. I've concluded it's due to low competition and low appetite for fraud ( compared to where I'm coming from :D ).
Like what kind of tech? I'm curious, never been to Africa.