+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Some jobs either require or prefer bilingual proficiency.
Exactly. Also to add,I have a kid who is currently applying for undergrad scholarships (outside Quebec) and she doesn't qualify for quite a number of opportunities cos she doesn't speak/read/write French.

French is an official language in Canada, so I am not sure why anyone would think learning it is a waste if you don't plan to be a politician.

raklukr

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
Certain jobs require bilingual proficiency. Govt jobs in Canada ask for bilingual proficiency too iirc.
This is very true. I am currently going through the interview process for an aerospace engineering position at Transport Canada. They do prefer bilingual people in general. But the salary is lower than my current job so even if I get the position I'll reject it.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Came to this forum after a break ... seems like missed some heated action. Few people seem to have accounts deleted. And seems like discussions are back to normal topics now.

Reactions: wonderbly

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
This is very true. I am currently going through the interview process for an aerospace engineering position at Transport Canada. They do prefer bilingual people in general. But the salary is lower than my current job so even if I get the position I'll reject it.
The recruiter tells the salary expectation upfront during the 30min screening call. And why are you going through the 'process' if you will reject it?

raklukr

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
The recruiter tells the salary expectation upfront during the 30min screening call. And why are you going through the 'process' if you will reject it?
The salary is mentioned in the posting, they don't have any screening calls for this position. I am going through the process as I want to see if they will be willing to give me the Highest and higher than my current salary Level vs the Level Lower than my current salary if I am selected. It's unlikely but worth giving a shot as I like the job.

Last edited:

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
Hi I hv a degree from the UK which I studied in through a partner institute, in Singapore. Under personal history, do I mention that partner institute or just a university name that awarded the degree?

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
That's the thing, one ITA doesn't mean one immigrant, it could be one, two or more. RCICs are saying IRCC only need to issue ~70k ITAs this year (I'm not sure if the math checks out). Even if you set that aside, the pool will replenish very fast. Previously, EE was not that popular, now everyone knows about EE and if scoring a good CLB in IELTS is not a big deal - that's why I wonder if 450s or sub 460s will ever happen. Also, in 2019 as the awareness of EE increased, we saw scores in the range of 460s (not sure if there was a pause at the start of 2019 too).

There are 800k students that entered Canada last year, they'd easily get 460+ score too. IRCC has the pool of future 460s+ ready with those numbers. Bill C-19 is going to slash a percentage of FSW draws this year and that doesn't seem to help people below 460 either.

Finally, 7k size draws could be outliers too, compensating for past pauses and could go away.
IRCC has already issued probably ~35K ITA this 3 months alone, at this rate assuming an equal number of ITA for the rest of the year, they will issue ~140K ITA this year. I am not sure how will the math check out.
Also, the CRS actually dropped to 75 during COVID because IRCC was desperate. I am not sure it will not be repeated.
The 481 CRS cutoff might also be the draw that #StopTheFrench because outland applicants can get an ITA without any French at CRS 481, so people will be less likely to learn French and CRS will spiral downwards.
It's actually a bit strange that in Canada it's easier to get a PR than LMIA. Then, what's the point of LMIA?

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Some jobs either require or prefer bilingual proficiency.
Another question is how to maintain French proficiency in Canada (outside Quebec) when there is no exam to strive for? I would imagine its hard to maintain language skills if you don't speak or do anything with it every day.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Another question is how to maintain French proficiency in Canada (outside Quebec) when there is no exam to strive for? I would imagine its hard to maintain language skills if you don't speak or do anything with it every day.
Yep, my French is nowhere near as good as it was when I took the test almost 2 years ago. Although this is partially also a side effect of learning a language so quickly - I never had the time to properly remember it.
I still try to read or watch the news in French. Graphic novels are also really good. So my understanding of spoken and especially written French is still pretty good. But practicing speaking and writing is much more tricky, especially with the move etc. Maybe once I'm in Canada, I'll try to practice a bit more as I would not want this whole effort to go to waste.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi I hv a degree from the UK which I studied in through a partner institute, in Singapore. Under personal history, do I mention that partner institute or just a university name that awarded the degree?
You should mention the same as on your certificate, you can also mention UK uni and mentioning Singapore campus along with it. Make sure you don't mention UK, in case PCC is requested and wondering the reason although being never been to UK.

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
You should mention the same as on your certificate, you can also mention UK uni and mentioning Singapore campus along with it. Make sure you don't mention UK, in case PCC is requested and wondering the reason although being never been to UK.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I'm indicating where the activity takes place as Singapore. But the certificate only mentioned UK uni and nothing abt Singapore campus. Is it ok if I just mentioned UK uni with activity took place in Singapore, without SG campus name?

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
As long as your POF does not drop below the required funds for 2 people, you should be fine.
Hi, pls answer me... I have 2 savings account. One has enough to show POF. Do I still need to show the other one? There's not much money inside and it's not loan account. Just daily expenses account.

kaashi14

Star Member
Jun 17, 2022
For PCC its mentioned that it's needed after 18 years of age. But on the 18th birthday I wasn't in my country as I was living in the UK

Firstly, should I still write 18th birthday in the 'from' section or the date I landed back in my country?

And secondly, then what about the 1-1.5 years I lived in the UK again after going back there?