+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

ilikesnow

Apr 19, 2022
Sydney
NOC Code......
hey, Congratulations!!! Let us know when you land and how you find Alberta.
PS: I think you have the wrong month - was your application finalised in Jan or Feb? Also in your signature....
Shouldn't do drunk posting I guess :p. It was Feb, updated my signature. Been there once, during summer, it was okay. I plan to spend Canadian winters in Australia so I think should be okay but let's see.

armitabbsn

Oct 6, 2020
Iran
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi , I know it might not be the best place to ask but didnt get any answer in other groups.
I was filling my profile on Ontario website
in language section, I can choose either French or English
I selected English and inserted my Ielts score
where can I add my French exam results ?

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/rents-are-soaring-in-canada-as-surge-of-people-goes-undercounted

Canada’s explosive population growth from immigration is causing rents to surge in its biggest cities. And there’s another problem: The country isn’t even properly counting the number of people who need homes.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government plans to welcome 465,000 new permanent residents this year, and increase the annual target to half a million by 2025. But those often-cited numbers understate the pressure on the country’s limited supply of housing —because they don’t include a wave of foreign students, temporary workers and others with non-permanent visas.

So what we all suspected is finally starting to come out in the open. They don't count the number temporary residents when setting the already low new housing construction targets. Wow.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Yeah but the reality is there are too many people coming in, 500k immigrants each year is not sustainable.

The U.S accepts upto 675,000 annually, and they are a much bigger country with a lot more resources.

We already have a housing crisis here and it's exacerbated by the numbers coming into the country. I think half that would be a lot more sustainable.

Reactions: RSub

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Yeah but the reality is there are too many people coming in, 500k immigrants each year is not sustainable.

The U.S accepts upto 675,000 annually, and they are a much bigger country with a lot more resources.

We already have a housing crisis here and it's exacerbated by the numbers coming into the country. I think half that would be a lot more sustainable.
1. I absolutely agree that the immigration targets is too high. Mind you, the 500k figure is for permanent immigrants and does not factor in people coming in on temporary permits and their families as pointed out by @imransyed.

2. The issue with the way the government is going about this, is not just the high target, it's the lack of coordinating where the new immigrants go. Housing is majorly a problem in places that people are clamouring to live in - ON and BC specifically. Other provinces and remote cities have capacity to house newcomers, but no one wants to go there. The govt needs to figure out a way to entice people to go live in this remote places like Yukon, Iqaluit in Nunavut, Morden in MB etc, and decongest major cities like Toronto and Vancouver.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay
D

Deleted member 1050918

people are clamouring to live in - ON and BC specifically. Other provinces and remote cities have capacity to house newcomers, but no one wants to go there.
Why should anybody want to go to anywhere else than ON/BC (and QC but QC isn't Canada)? There are no jobs and not much else to do in terms of activities.

Why are all the jobs in ON or BC? Because of their proximity to places where there are actually people living and businesses going (businesses need people to happen). Places like Washington, Michigan, New York. There is absolutely nothing the Canadian government can do to convince big players to start businesses in god forsaken places like AB, MB, SK. They aren't close to any place that matters and there is nobody living there. Besides, places like AB, MB, SK are logistically handicapped, they're literally in the middle of nowhere which makes export (and import) very expensive. Is it coincidence that both BC and ON have direct access to water? Nope, that's why businesses choose these places over AB, MB, SK and others. So there is absolutely no way the government could convince big manufacturers to come start businesses and plants anywhere in Canada other than BC and ON.

The only thing the Canadian government can do is target the IT/Software/Compsci sector because they export digitally so they can export cheaply from AB, MB, SK. AB has been hyping a "booming tech sector" in Calgary, which in reality is just a bunch of startups with <10 employees and a few million in revenue. In other words it's just a joke. If Canada wants to attract the goliaths of tech to populate AB, MB, SK and others, they're gonna need to give these big players significant incentives like ridiculously low tax, big and low interest loans etc. The exchange rate against USD isn't helping either, the Canadian labor is just too expensive for what it can offer. The government should work to pull the exchange rate up to about 2 - 2.5 which would help convince tech goliaths to come start offices in places other than BC/ON.

• Haha
Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Why are all the jobs in ON or BC? Because of their proximity to places where there are actually people living and businesses going (businesses need people to happen). Places like Washington, Michigan, New York. There is absolutely nothing the Canadian government can do to convince big players to start businesses in god forsaken places like AB, MB, SK. They aren't close to any place that matters and there is nobody living there. Besides, places like AB, MB, SK are logistically handicapped, they're literally in the middle of nowhere which makes export (and import) very expensive. Is it coincidence that both BC and ON have direct access to water? Nope, that's why businesses choose these places over AB, MB, SK and others. So there is absolutely no way the government could convince big manufacturers to come start businesses and plants anywhere in Canada other than BC and ON.

The only thing the Canadian government can do is target the IT/Software/Compsci sector because they export digitally so they can export cheaply from AB, MB, SK. AB has been hyping a "booming tech sector" in Calgary, which in reality is just a bunch of startups with <10 employees and a few million in revenue. In other words it's just a joke. If Canada wants to attract the goliaths of tech to populate AB, MB, SK and others, they're gonna need to give these big players significant incentives like ridiculously low tax, big and low interest loans etc. The exchange rate against USD isn't helping either, the Canadian labor is just too expensive for what it can offer. The government should work to pull the exchange rate up to about 2 - 2.5 which would help convince tech goliaths to come start offices in places other than BC/ON.
Canada has one massive thing going for itself that very few countries have as far as IT/CS goes: Timezone sync with US on west and east coast. Thats one reason Australia can never develop a massive IT industry as Canada can potentially. Even Calgary, AB is like what? 1 hour ahead of Seattle/LA/SD/SF.

Toronto has a good overlap with NY and BC/AB have good overlap with west coast US hubs. Given how expensive and how much out of whack California is, AB can offer a second home to many tech companies. Its a proverbial deal with devil though. Where they go, they price out local businesses for essential utilities like housing etc.

Had my wife not so scared of cold, I would have moved to Calgary.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
1. I absolutely agree that the immigration targets is too high. Mind you, the 500k figure is for permanent immigrants and does not factor in people coming in on temporary permits and their families as pointed out by @imransyed.
Mind you, even if they dial immigration down to zero, housing cost will go up massively. We saw it in 2020. The reason for housing cost is their absolute reluctance to release land and Canadian themself not wanting any lowering of house prices. Higher house prices are passed on to renter in form of higher rents. Actually, I will argue, immigrants are very unlikely to push rents up as much because their buying capacity is very limited. Problem is that landlords NEED higher rents to afford massive mortgages that they have taken. The issue is much more demand dominated. Canadians often use fig leaves like environment to cover their greed.

Look at crown land percentage of ON and BC (all in 90s) and AB has 70-80%. Both provinces are not willing to increase land supply while AB releases land every now and then.

Want to increase housing supply? Easy: release land from crown land like crazy (ON and BC has tonne of crown land) and de-regulate professions related to construction by allowing faster channels for people to take up trades related to construction.

Both of these will be highly unpopular but will crash Canadian house prices literally in a year or two. And that exactly Canada will never do. They artificially create a crisis to enrich a certain part of their citizenry -- namely old canadians who vote in masses.

2. The issue with the way the government is going about this, is not just the high target, it's the lack of coordinating where the new immigrants go. Housing is majorly a problem in places that people are clamouring to live in - ON and BC specifically. Other provinces and remote cities have capacity to house newcomers, but no one wants to go there. The govt needs to figure out a way to entice people to go live in this remote places like Yukon, Iqaluit in Nunavut, Morden in MB etc, and decongest major cities like Toronto and Vancouver.
Its Canadian way of doing things. Take a look at EE program. They can introduce a faster channel with higher fee which can be fed back to speed up processing for everyone -- Like US does. But NOOO! Thats not Canadian. Canadian way is to do very little in policy way and complain a lot. Big policy decisions are so uncanadian.

Last edited:
Reactions: wonderbly

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
My employer is a big name in tech and has an office in Calgary. Heck, I am in Victoria right now which also is not better than Calgary in terms of on ground presence. Remote working has gone mainstream. Almost everyone I know have been offered a remote job.

The present downturn is purely controlled by central banks of US clamping down on inflation. The day they dial their rates back -- and its not a question of if but a question of when, the tech space is going to be a seller's market again. For big names, recruitment is a major pain. Relocation just makes it harder. You remove relocation part, it become more manageable.

Actually, Oil and Gas is an interesting part. I am not 100% sure but I read somewhere that a lot of Oil simply goes in transportation of goods. I am yet to see a mass scale long haul EV truck or ship. I am sure it will happen but not sure when. Battery tech moves much slower. Gas finds its place in electricity generation and heating. How fast will they lose value? Don't know.

Last edited:

Shadow09

Jul 16, 2021
Hope for a draw every Wednesday. I'm hoping for those who are waiting for their ITAs. Best of luck! :)
Lol have given up now. Its just bull crap at this point. They keep changing rules every other day. Planning for Ireland now. Enough is enough. Good luck to all of you aspirants. Hope y'all make it.