+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

h1bmigrant

Dec 21, 2022
I know this makes me a hypocrite as I am in the process of migrating to Canada, but I think western societies in general are just failing now. I can't think of a single "western" country that is doing well. If I hadn't spent last four years of life dedicating to emigrating out of my country, I would have stayed.

In the limited amount of time I had spent in Canada, I got the feeling that someone lied to me. I couldn't exactly pinpoint who did, but I felt like I had been sold a lemon. If nothing else, I have gotten over my colonial mindset that seems to plague almost every Indian.

Yes, problems exist everywhere and no place is a utopia, those problems you have listed don't exist even in "third-world" countries, or atleast not in the one I have lived in. What direction is the west heading into? I think we are witnessing the fall of the west.

inb4 "then maybe you should just stay where you are lol"
It's funny how us Indians always get out of our cOlOniAl mIndSet once we move to a safe western country. Poor you, why didn't you do your research before going to Canada? Being sold a lemon. Lol. To live in a developed and civilized country instead of walking in heaps of trash and breathing world's most polluted air? You remind me of the uncles on flights heading towards India who hold their American passports, have no intention of abandoning their life in the US and yet come back in India to lecture everyone about how great our country is. Absolute haramkhors to the bone.

It's funny how people from fourth world countries get reminded of their cUltUre once they find a safe refuge in a developed country (despite the problems that exist there). I joined this forum to gain some insights from people living in Canada and other prospective immigrants, only to find hate-mongers from India bathing in their inferiority complex- that masquerades as a superiority complex- and cursing out the same country where they will do anything to immigrate. I am leaving from this forum so enjoy whining about Canada and liberating yourself from your colonial past while never setting foot in the country you adore so much.

At least this forum gave me perspective on the type of people that move to Canada. May not be a prospective that I like, but if I am ever successful in getting a PPR, I would know at least know which places and people to avoid.

D

Deleted member 994371

I am leaving from this forum so enjoy whining about Canada and liberating yourself from your colonial past while never setting foot in the country you adore so much.

At least this forum gave me perspective on the type of people that move to Canada. May not be a prospective that I like, but if I am ever successful in getting a PPR, I would know at least know which places and people to avoid.
I give it a week before you are back. Maybe with another alt, because from your previous posts you clearly get off on hating your own kind.

That right there, my friend, is called COloNial Mindset, as you mentioned it.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Genuine question (I don't mean to be a d!ck) but is this really surprising?

In the UK
  • Prices of everything (food etc.) went up 10-30% in the last 12 months or so. Fuel and energy much more than that.
  • Rent prices went up a lot and bidding on attractive places is quite standard.
  • Issues with supply chains are ongoing... most of the time it's fine but it's quite common to go to a large supermarket and there are no eggs or some other basic item.
  • Waitlists for anything NHS related (public healthcare) were ridiculous even prior to covid. I had a serious problem with my back (I could barely walk for more than 100m and I was in my mid 30s at the time) and I had to wait 6 months for MRI, over 3 months to get Tramadol (doctors don't want to prescribe anything opiates-based, even though the alternative was a nerve suppressant known to cause depression and suicidal thoughts... apparently that was supposed to be better) and in the end, by the time I could have any procedure done on my back, it was no longer needed... but I was in constant pain for over 11 months. I can't imagine how long are wait times now.
What I'm trying to say is that a lot of the complaints I see on this forum are equally applicable to other western countries.
My question is - which countries are better then? Again, I'm trying to be an ass, it's a genuine question.

In my view, the current situation worldwide is shit, wherever you are or wherever you want to go.
You are not and you are asking valid questions. TBH, I wasn't comparing it to other western countries (I have never lived or been to UK) but I was comparing it to Canada 2020. There was no bidding for rent; yes, for buying but not for renting a place.

To me (personally), the best country is the USA. Way higher salaries, medical care is taken care through employer's insurance, lower CoL.

Reactions: Daria13 and AndyUK
D

Deleted member 1083629

Yeah, sometimes I feel like some people (not aimed at anyone specific, just a broad statement) have unrealistic expectations of Canada/USA/EU.
I was born in Poland and when I moved to the UK in my very early 20s, I could see a massive difference. Now, 17 years later, this difference is much smaller (especially post Brexit). That being said, on the balance, I still prefer UK to Poland.
I've never been to Canada before (thanks Covid) but my expectations are that some things will be better and others will be worse but I expect that on the balance, I will prefer Canada to the UK.
Interestingly, a lot of my American friends and acquaintances are now trying to get citizenship/PR in other countries as they feel that the US is going down.
At the end of the day, it's down to each individual to find the 'perfect' place for them... even if this place is a nightmare for someone else ;)
TBH, Canada was a different country when my sister moved here. A place in Toronto downtown coster 250k. Right now, the same place is 1M+. I don't think I have an unrealistic expectation of Canada; my expectation was to live in 1st world country with strong economy. Canada just isn't it. If I cannot see a doctor and someone close to me is suffering from pain, then I start to question my decisions and the country I moved to. In the end of the day, I am paying for the medical service, police, other public services through my taxes. Then why I cannot receive what I am paying for? If you cannot provide me with the service, fine, allow me to opt out of the taxes and go with private healthcare provider.

While we are talking about all of that. UK doesn't bring in 437K immigrants every year. I am ok with that number but FFS, scale the infrastructure. You cannot keep bringing people over without building more affordable housing, without increasing funding for healthcare (thank you Ford, funds were cut).

ImpatientDragon

Feb 23, 2022
It's funny how us Indians always get out of our cOlOniAl mIndSet once we move to a safe western country. Poor you, why didn't you do your research before going to Canada? Being sold a lemon. Lol. To live in a developed and civilized country instead of walking in heaps of trash and breathing world's most polluted air? You remind me of the uncles on flights heading towards India who hold their American passports, have no intention of abandoning their life in the US and yet come back in India to lecture everyone about how great our country is. Absolute haramkhors to the bone.

It's funny how people from fourth world countries get reminded of their cUltUre once they find a safe refuge in a developed country (despite the problems that exist there). I joined this forum to gain some insights from people living in Canada and other prospective immigrants, only to find hate-mongers from India bathing in their inferiority complex- that masquerades as a superiority complex- and cursing out the same country where they will do anything to immigrate. I am leaving from this forum so enjoy whining about Canada and liberating yourself from your colonial past while never setting foot in the country you adore so much.

There is no safe spot. The best you can do is to assimilate otherwise they'll eat you alive.

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, sometimes I feel like some people (not aimed at anyone specific, just a broad statement) have unrealistic expectations of Canada/USA/EU.
I was born in Poland and when I moved to the UK in my very early 20s, I could see a massive difference. Now, 17 years later, this difference is much smaller (especially post Brexit). That being said, on the balance, I still prefer UK to Poland.
I've never been to Canada before (thanks Covid) but my expectations are that some things will be better and others will be worse but I expect that on the balance, I will prefer Canada to the UK.
Interestingly, a lot of my American friends and acquaintances are now trying to get citizenship/PR in other countries as they feel that the US is going down.
At the end of the day, it's down to each individual to find the 'perfect' place for them... even if this place is a nightmare for someone else ;)
The west has always had ups and downs. The difference western countries and third world countries had was that western countries would exploit other countries for their resources. This has been reduced so now countries grow in a more equal playing field, but western countries will have the advantage due to their accumulated wealth and connections (just like someone born rich vs someone born poor/middle class). For now though, the west is still the hub where most people and companies want to go, so until a more desirable location shows up, there will be no fall.

Reactions: Miracle2018

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
TBH, Canada was a different country when my sister moved here. A place in Toronto downtown coster 250k. Right now, the same place is 1M+. I don't think I have an unrealistic expectation of Canada; my expectation was to live in 1st world country with strong economy. Canada just isn't it. If I cannot see a doctor and someone close to me is suffering from pain, then I start to question my decisions and the country I moved to. In the end of the day, I am paying for the medical service, police, other public services through my taxes. Then why I cannot receive what I am paying for? If you cannot provide me with the service, fine, allow me to opt out of the taxes and go with private healthcare provider.

While we are talking about all of that. UK doesn't bring in 437K immigrants every year. I am ok with that number but FFS, scale the infrastructure. You cannot keep bringing people over without building more affordable housing, without increasing funding for healthcare (thank you Ford, funds were cut).
I’ve noticed a huge uptick in news stories more anti immigration (at least anti current levels of immigration) due to lack of infrastructure. Liberals will end up causing immigration to become part of the debate in the next election. Something that never was, other than by irrelevant parties like the PPC.

• Sad
Reactions: OneStepAtATime

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022

All fair points. But sadly these issues are not limited to Canada. It seems like it's very similar in the UK. And yes, the UK may not be bringing such number of immigrants but that's part of the problem - since Brexit there isn't enough healthcare staff, lorry drivers, etc. etc. Plus 10+ years of austerity, frozen pay in the public sector, etc.

And regarding unrealistic expectations - I'm honestly not sure if there are currently any 1st world countries with strong economies. It just feels like we need another couple of years for everything to stabilise after all this covid-related crap. Personally, I'm expecting big-ish pullback in the stock market at some point in the next few months, a recession, and eventually a drop in real estate prices and then a slow recovery.

D

Deleted member 1083629

All fair points. But sadly these issues are not limited to Canada. It seems like it's very similar in the UK. And yes, the UK may not be bringing such number of immigrants but that's part of the problem - since Brexit there isn't enough healthcare staff, lorry drivers, etc. etc. Plus 10+ years of austerity, frozen pay in the public sector, etc.

And regarding unrealistic expectations - I'm honestly not sure if there are currently any 1st world countries with strong economies. It just feels like we need another couple of years for everything to stabilise after all this covid-related crap. Personally, I'm expecting big-ish pullback in the stock market at some point in the next few months, a recession, and eventually a drop in real estate prices and then a slow recovery.
Not once for the last 10 years I saw a drop in real estate in GTA. Not once. That's one of the reasons why I talk crap about Canada. Everything that is happening could have been avoided. Easily. Medicine? It happened because Ford pulled the funding. Real estate? Allowed foreign investors to get in. AND both of those things are linked to massive immigration numbers, which (SURPRISE) could have also been approached in a little more planned fashion.

D

Deleted member 1083629

I’ve noticed a huge uptick in news stories more anti immigration (at least anti current levels of immigration) due to lack of infrastructure. Liberals will end up causing immigration to become part of the debate in the next election. Something that never was, other than by irrelevant parties like the PPC.
It already is. That guy from conservative (Pierre) makes sure to talk about it a lot.

There is a very strong anti-immigration mood is starting to form. I will give you example. Couple of months ago, Indians from Brampton attacked a police car. The most popular comments on reddit were: "This is what is happening when they start to form community" and "As a country, we are going nowhere if those are the people we allow in the country". Of course, Reddit is minority but 1) it's a liberal community; 2) it consists of younger people.

• Sad
Reactions: OneStepAtATime

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Not once for the last 10 years I saw a drop in real estate in GTA.
That's it though - there was no major global recession since the sub-prime lending crisis in 2007-2008 - hence why the prices kept going up.
Yes, Covid messed things up but governments all over the world just started printing money so there was no crash like it should be... only in recent months we started seeing the fallout of it. If there's a worldwide recession this year (and a lot is pointing to it), we should see at least some pullback in the property prices... that being said, they're so inflated in many places, that it probably won't make much of a difference anyway.

And I totally agree with everything else in your post.