+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Saar, a small request for you.

I am brewing a new plan and would appreciate it if you could provide your input in any way.

I will be arriving in Canada for 35 days just for completing landing formalities. I will be going back and then applying for jobs, and then hopefully come back with a job in hand.

I will be landing in GTA and completing formalities there. I am hoping to spend about two weeks there. After that, I was thinking of exploring Vancouver and Calgary for a few days each, just to see what those cities are like. My plan is to see the cities and hopefully, when I come back I would know which city is suited for me best.

I work in IT as well, so I think it would be possible for me to land a remote job.

If you were to visit Calgary and Vancouver, what would be the thing you would look for in each city? I guess it depends on the temperament and perspective of a person, but I wanted to know your point of view if you, too, were to do something similar. What would be on your agenda?

I should mention that I have never stepped foot out of my country before. What should I try to take in? Since I don't have anything concrete in my itinerary, I was thinking of visiting a few touristy places and visiting some nature spots (as I am a nature person, and I find being in nature very soothing) in all of the cities. I wish to avoid the hustle and bustle of a city like Delhi. That is my only goal to find a place in Canada.
Respectfully, I don't think @GandiBaat is street enough to help you get a true feel for Canada. He's high brow. You should be reaching out to Navinball and DKAB. Those guys know what's up :cool:.

D

Deleted member 994371

Respectfully, I don't think @GandiBaat is street enough to help you get a true feel for Canada. He's high brow. You should be reaching out to Navinball and DKAB. Those guys know what's up :cool:.

I asked him in particular because he is a well travelled brader. I think he understands the culture of North India better than anyone else here and would be able to see things from my perspective.

There are other very helpful braders too here with whom i talk to offline as well, but I think he will be the only one who will understand where I am coming from and understand what I seek.

Reactions: wonderbly

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021

I am brewing a new plan and would appreciate it if you could provide your input in any way.

I will be arriving in Canada for 35 days just for completing landing formalities. I will be going back and then applying for jobs, and then hopefully come back with a job in hand.

I will be landing in GTA and completing formalities there. I am hoping to spend about two weeks there. After that, I was thinking of exploring Vancouver and Calgary for a few days each, just to see what those cities are like. My plan is to see the cities and hopefully, when I come back I would know which city is suited for me best.

I work in IT as well, so I think it would be possible for me to land a remote job.

If you were to visit Calgary and Vancouver, what would be the thing you would look for in each city? I guess it depends on the temperament and perspective of a person, but I wanted to know your point of view if you, too, were to do something similar. What would be on your agenda?

I should mention that I have never stepped foot out of my country before. What should I try to take in? Since I don't have anything concrete in my itinerary, I was thinking of visiting a few touristy places and visiting some nature spots (as I am a nature person, and I find being in nature very soothing) in all of the cities. I wish to avoid the hustle and bustle of a city like Delhi. That is my only goal to find a place in Canada.
You won't get a feel for the city by just doing touristy stuff. Instead, get an Airbnb in the city (or suburb if you prefer that) and spend a few weeks living normally - doing everyday stuff mostly and doing touristy stuff on weekends. Maybe get some part time job if you can.

For big cities like Toronto, Vancouver; go out and explore neighborhoods by foot and see if you really like any. In Calgary or Winnipeg, you'd most likely get a car. So, in those cities, rent a car and explore.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

As an Indian IT engineer, you'll stick out like a sore thumb!

D

Deleted member 994371

You won't get a feel for the city by just doing touristy stuff. Instead, get an Airbnb in the city (or suburb if you prefer that) and spend a few weeks living normally - doing everyday stuff mostly and doing touristy stuff on weekends. Maybe get some part time job if you can.

For big cities like Toronto, Vancouver; go out and explore neighborhoods by foot and see if you really like any. In Calgary or Winnipeg, you'd most likely get a car.

This is exactly what I will be doing in GTA. For Vancouver and Calgary, i am not sure if it will be feasible as i will only be there for a week Max in both cities.

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021
This is exactly what I will be doing in GTA. For Vancouver and Calgary, i am not sure if it will be feasible as i will only be there for a week Max in both cities.
I'd advise to just stick to two cities then and maybe just visit the third. Calgary and Toronto are sort of two extremes while Vancouver is somewhere in-between in terms of lifestyle.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
I wish to avoid the hustle and bustle of a city like Delhi. That is my only goal to find a place in Canada.
If your goal is to avoid the hustle and bustle, then avoid the city proper altogether. Vancouver is nice, but a bit too busy for me; instead find a place in Burnaby, the tri-city area, Surrey or even North Vancouver. I haven't been to Toronto, but if I find Vancouver already too busy; my guess is that Toronto wouldn't fit the bill either. Again, that's not to say that either city is bad, just that if you want some peace and quiet, the downtown ain't it. Look at a place far enough from downtown that it's peaceful, but close enough that downtown is just a train ride away.

I'm within the Greater Vancouver Area, but definitely far from DT Vancouver... so much peaceful.

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021
If your goal is to avoid the hustle and bustle, then avoid the city proper altogether. Vancouver is nice, but a bit too busy for me; instead find a place in Burnaby, the tri-city area, Surrey or even North Vancouver. I haven't been to Toronto, but if I find Vancouver already too busy; my guess is that Toronto wouldn't fit the bill either. Again, that's not to say that either city is bad, just that if you want some peace and quiet, the downtown ain't it. Look at a place far enough from downtown that it's peaceful, but close enough that downtown is just a train ride away.

I'm within the Greater Vancouver Area, but definitely far from DT Vancouver... so much peaceful.
Compared to Delhi, only downtown Toronto would come anywhere close. Even a little bit outside of downtown, Toronto feels a lot less congested/hectic with residential neighborhoods here and there. I didn't find downtown Vancouver too bad but I'd definitely avoid downtown Toronto though: too many ambulances, construction noise, loud motorcycles and drag races in the middle of the night!