Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
That's more Burnaby than Vancouver mate (Burnaby is essentially China btw). I'm seeing they average about 1500 USD ~2000 CAD, and as far as I can see they're mostly basement rooms. For a short period (1-2 weeks) till I move into a permanent place, I wouldn't mind getting that kind of Airbnb but no way I'm paying 2000 CAD a month for a basement in Burnaby for any longer.

Unless I have to... It's really challenging for fresh immigrants to get a whole apartment due to insufficient credit score and rental history.
15 to 20 mins metro travel to Vancouver downtown, so this is a good option. Also, I checked so many rental houses in Vancouver metro and I find house sin Burnaby, Surrey, and Richmond to be the nicest ones and better option given short metro travel to Downtown Vancouver. I guess Vancouver has one of the best Public transportation in North America, so staying 30 mins away is not a big deal.

D

Deleted member 994371

Actually, I checked. You will get an Private bath/bedroom for $2.5k to $2.6k. Remember its a good deal when you realize that utilities are all paid. Of course, one won't get an entire fancy looking apartment for less than $3K. Its a great option for single or young couple who can explore the city and neighborhood before signing a bad lease.

Which area did you look in?

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Which area did you look in?
Vancouver and nearby areas. Most houses have access to public transportation or 5 to 10 mins walk to nearest bus stop or metro station.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
That's more Burnaby than Vancouver mate (Burnaby is essentially China btw). I'm seeing they average about 1500 USD ~2000 CAD, and as far as I can see they're mostly basement rooms. For a short period (1-2 weeks) till I move into a permanent place, I wouldn't mind getting that kind of Airbnb but no way I'm paying 2000 CAD a month for a basement in Burnaby for any longer.

Unless I have to... It's really challenging for fresh immigrants to get a whole apartment due to insufficient credit score and rental history.
Also, if one is earning less, they should lower their expectation on housing or go to a cost effective city. I hope people would be practical.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020

If you're willing to go for a longer commute, try looking at the tri-city area or Surrey, you can still get 1 bedroom apartments for less than $2000.

Reactions: RSub

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
By the way if there are any other recently landed PRs here, any idea how to get a Learner's Permit without a PR Card yet in BC? BC Services say they don't accept CoPR for new immigrants.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1050918

15 to 20 mins metro travel to Vancouver downtown, so this is a good option. Also, I checked so many rental houses in Vancouver metro and I find house sin Burnaby, Surrey, and Richmond to be the nicest ones and better option given short metro travel to Downtown Vancouver. I guess Vancouver has one of the best Public transportation in North America, so staying 30 mins away is not a big deal.
Yeah public transit in Van was really good actually, quite the same as European services I can say. You wouldn't need a car at all.

From what I experienced, they only looked for proof of employment / job offer since they knew I'm a new immigrant. I don't have any credit score or rental history.
You whole landing experience in Canada doesn't count mate. You got a proper job before landing which is not the case for majority of new immigrants. Your home hunt was much easier because of that.

If you're willing to go for a longer commute, try looking at the tri-city area or Surrey, you can still get 1 bedroom apartments for less than $2000.
I got out of the hell called BC, it's better in AB.

Reactions: RSub

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Do you think IRCC will deliver my card before my contract expires? You know, the answer is not that easy to give... The max I've heard is 5 months I believe.
Don't even know how long it takes. Worst I have seen is 1 year or more.

• Wow
Reactions: AlmostThere2

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I'm not used to this first world service quality!
Well, if you do not have a "SIN" you can get one using CoPR till 1 year from signing of CoPR. I guess they never expected PR card not printed in 1 year.

Meanwhile, a Bank here can issue a debit card then and there in the branch.... Somehow IRCC cann't print a god damned PR card. They should do what they have done for vaccine "Passports". Make a PR Card "App" and start issuing "e-PR Cards" complete with a QR code...

But then.... this is the same country that insist on have a "TRV" separate from a student or a work permit. It takes upto one year to issue a GOD DAMNED TRV!!!

D

Deleted member 994371

I'm not used to this first world service quality!

Bro, most third-world countries are better at these kinds of things. Most of the things in my country are computerized. Things like these take a week or two at max.

Can you believe that even after asking us to send them our photos 3 times during the whole process, they manually remove the picture from the CoPR and then scan the photo for the PR card. And then a person manually checks if the photo is of the right size. Even after that, they ask people to send photos again.

Talk about being inefficient.

D

Deleted member 1050918

Well, if you do not have a "SIN" you can get one using CoPR till 1 year from signing of CoPR. I guess they never expected PR card not printed in 1 year.

Meanwhile, a Bank here can issue a debit card then and there in the branch.... Somehow IRCC cann't print a god damned PR card. They should do what they have done for vaccine "Passports". Make a PR Card "App" and start issuing "e-PR Cards" complete with a QR code...

But then.... this is the same country that insist on have a "TRV" separate from a student or a work permit. It takes upto one year to issue a GOD DAMNED TRV!!!
canada so fastttttttt ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can't keep up

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
My country is cheaper than Canada and I did think about soft landing but found it risky so I went with a hard landing.

New immigration term introduced by Kangaroo:

*drum roll*

I recommend hybrid landing. Find a place in Canada for 6 months (might be kinda challenging but yeah) and move back to your country after 6 months rather than immediately. You'd most likely get your PR card within 6 months. 6 months of job search while physically in Canada will give you a really good idea about the situation there and your chances so when you're back to your country you'll be more experienced.
This. Especially with the new dynamics of remote work. If you can arrange with your present employer to work remotely this option will work great.