+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
No you're definitely not a GTA dweller paying 2k+ on rent if after your early history in Canada you're still here asking for basic stuff and failing to get a PR, you're one of the 5 tenants shitting on the same toilet because you can only afford to pay ~$800 per month and that only gets you a small room and shared toilet.

I only see your frustration, can't handle the truth like many others. Take a guess, how many foreign accountants do you think there are in Canada speaking exactly like you with that thick foreign accent? That'll tell you about your prospects in Canada.
I've missed reading these types of answers on here

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
I asked a few people on telegram and it seems like this was an exception, not the norm. All of them could get their SIN within a week or even the next day. But thank you for sharing your experience. I will keep some headroom for this to happen so that I can try again if I get rejected.
Yes, I got my SIN the same day I landed. Stayed hours in line. The guards came saying you should only do walk in if you have a job offer, but that’s a lie, to get people to apply online.

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
Alright, so the plan so far for soft landing:

1. Land in Canada. Give friend's address on PR card.
2. Get SIN number in the next couple of days, if not in Service Canada counter at the airport.
3. Get Bank account sorted and order a credit card at the same address. Credit card will help me establish a credit rating by the time I land next time.
4. Also get a UPS mail box which provides me a real address in Canada for receiving mail while I am not there. They can also ship internationally or a local address that I choose.
5. Get back to my home country and wait for PR card and credit card to arrive
6. Profit

After that I should be able to return to Canada in my own time with a job and an established credit rating. After that I can get a car and my own place without much hassle, I think.

What else should I look into? Have I overlooked anything?
how are you planning on using the credit in your CC? non-utilization wont grow your credit. plus, the banks wont issue you an unsecured CC if you’re not earning income here. you could get a secured CC by depositing collateral, but then you’ll run into the non-utilization problem too.

and you’ll need proof of address most times too. that can be a rental agreement, or official mail mailed to your reported address.

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
how are you planning on using the credit in your CC? non-utilization wont grow your credit. plus, the banks wont issue you an unsecured CC if you’re not earning income here. you could get a secured CC by depositing collateral, but then you’ll run into the non-utilization problem too.

and you’ll need proof of address most times too. that can be a rental agreement, or official mail mailed to your reported address.
It depends on the agent though. The ones I went to just ask for the address, they didn’t require proof, so he could just give his friend’s address, but yes, they only issued an unsecured CC with a job offer.

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
I have a question I have a layover at Vancouver and my final destination is Calgary, do I have to complete my immigration in Calgary/Vancouver?

If I am living in Calgary and working can I give my permanent address (friend's address) in Ontario to collect my pr card?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a question I have a layover at Vancouver and my final destination is Calgary, do I have to complete my immigration in Calgary/Vancouver?

If I am living in Calgary and working can I give my permanent address (friend's address) in Ontario to collect my pr card?
Immigration processes will be in Vancouver. Sure - you can give an Ontario address for the PR card as long as you didn't get PR through PNP.

Reactions: PRANIT01

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
Immigration processes will be in Vancouver. Sure - you can give an Ontario address for the PR card as long as you didn't get PR through PNP.
Thank you for the reply
Damn I have only 2 hrs layover.Does it complete in 2 hrs.
I have a Canada tourist visa also.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply
Damn I have only 2 hrs layover.Does it complete in 2 hrs.
I have a Canada tourist visa also.
You might be good with 2 hours or it could take longer. It really depends on the day and how busy they are.

Having a TRV doesn't change anything. The landing formalities have to be complete at your first point of entry into Canada.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020

If you have friends, you can let them use your credit cards for online purchase to just started. At least, thats what I would do.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020

Just like the US, the first port of entry is where you will do your Immigration. Plan accordingly.

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021

You can make minor purchases and keep paying them on time. Length of account, paying on time and low utilization are the main factors for credit score. How much you use isn't that important.

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
If you have friends, you can let them use your credit cards for online purchase to just started. At least, thats what I would do.
that sounds a bit risky though. you’re gonna expose yourself to so much risk for a little bit of credit score bump. it isnt that hard to grow credit score honestly. no one has to resort to this to grow credit. I’ve been here less than a year and already have a score at 690 as of march. just need to be savvy, pay bills on time, use the card for everything, and you’re golden

ImpatientAlligator

Sep 7, 2021

2hrs is way too short. Especially since you'd most likely have to go through immigration, checkout your baggage, go through customs, check your baggage again and go through security.

za_skrub

Star Member
Sep 13, 2020
Kangaroo reporting with first-hand experience in AB on a PR:

Applied to ~40 engineering jobs, zero interviews. The lowest my experience matched the role I applied to was maybe 75-80 percent. A good portion with +90% match.

About me: Several years of experience and accredited degrees in what I'm applying for, white, no language issues.

Although of course I'm quite upset, I'm not surprised. AB in particular has an even worse job market than the shitty market in the rest of Canada. There's a fake image of "Canadian standards" in STEM and as a new immigrant they think you don't match up. What's funny is Canada is a country that can't produce as much technology compared to the US and the EU, yet Canadian employers think they know their shit more than those who worked at much bigger companies in much bigger projects. My resume is like all stars but it doesn't matter, it's not relevant in Canada.

The only way to find a job is 1. be in compsci/software/IT 2. apply to a shit ton of jobs since those jobs get 20-50 applications a day (especially so if remote)

If you're not in compsci/software/IT, you gotta move to Toronto or Montreal as there are more jobs but then again, you're gonna be hitting into the "Canadian standards" wall. Plus you'll be paying $2000/mo on a 400sqft cave.

I should add that it's pathetic how many people stole my forum name...
Other things aside doubt 40 apps will get you anywhere even in the States...Try 400.

Back when I and my cohort applied for jobs we usually set a minimum no. of online apps completed each day. My goal was 20 I believe. The reply rate ended up higher than 10% but you gotta increase the base.