File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry to jump in. But as someone who is also concerned about potential NOC draws, what was the pre-EE system? Which NOCs were eligible? Is there a document or a link to read abut it?
The FSW system pre-EE involved a NOC list. So your NOC had to be on the list to qualify. Selection wasn't based on points but FIFO (first come first serve), meaning IRCC would open up the application process on a specific day and they would have caps for each NOC. So people would then race to get their complete applications in before their NOC hit the cap and there were no more spaces. IMO they are unlikely to return to that model (i.e. FIFO). If they do go back to a NOC list, then I think they'll still select people based on points but on top of that a person will also have to have work experience in one of the NOCs on the list. Of course I'm just guessing. Who knows what will happen.

In terms of which NOCs were on the list, this changed from year to year based on which occupations were in demand. So just because something was on the list back then doesn't mean it would be on a list now. If they go to a NOC list, that will be based on what occupations are in demand now.

Anyway, I did some searching and here's an article from back then that shows the NOC list that applied in 2015. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/skilled-immigrants-recruited-in-50-occupations-ahead-of-express-entry-launch-1.2673822

Lc4life

Aug 9, 2021
Kangaroo reporting with first-hand experience in AB on a PR:

Applied to ~40 engineering jobs, zero interviews. The lowest my experience matched the role I applied to was maybe 75-80 percent. A good portion with +90% match.

About me: Several years of experience and accredited degrees in what I'm applying for, white, no language issues.

Although of course I'm quite upset, I'm not surprised. AB in particular has an even worse job market than the shitty market in the rest of Canada. There's a fake image of "Canadian standards" in STEM and as a new immigrant they think you don't match up. What's funny is Canada is a country that can't produce as much technology compared to the US and the EU, yet Canadian employers think they know their shit more than those who worked at much bigger companies in much bigger projects. My resume is like all stars but it doesn't matter, it's not relevant in Canada.

The only way to find a job is 1. be in compsci/software/IT 2. apply to a shit ton of jobs since those jobs get 20-50 applications a day (especially so if remote)

If you're not in compsci/software/IT, you gotta move to Toronto or Montreal as there are more jobs but then again, you're gonna be hitting into the "Canadian standards" wall. Plus you'll be paying $2000/mo on a 400sqft cave.

I should add that it's pathetic how many people stole my forum name...
I'm in Toronto paying $2000 per month but not a 400 sqft cave.

My apartment is 800 sqft. lol

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
The FSW system pre-EE involved a NOC list. So your NOC had to be on the list to qualify. Selection wasn't based on points but FIFO (first come first serve), meaning IRCC would open up the application process on a specific day and they would have caps for each NOC. So people would then race to get their complete applications in before their NOC hit the cap and there were no more spaces. IMO they are unlikely to return to that model (i.e. FIFO). If they do go back to a NOC list, then I think they'll still select people based on points but on top of that a person will also have to have work experience in one of the NOCs on the list. Of course I'm just guessing. Who knows what will happen.

In terms of which NOCs were on the list, this changed from year to year based on which occupations were in demand. So just because something was on the list back then doesn't mean it would be on a list now. If they go to a NOC list, that will be based on what occupations are in demand now.

Anyway, I did some searching and here's an article from back then that shows the NOC list that applied in 2015. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/skilled-immigrants-recruited-in-50-occupations-ahead-of-express-entry-launch-1.2673822
Thank you for the explanation and the list. Yes, I don't see FIFO happening, but some NOC targeting could happen. On the other hand, I see that the list is relatively short, so it would make most present candidates ineligible? (Accidentally, my wife's NOC is on the list, but like you said, it was 2015). I know her NOC is in demand in Alberta at the moment but not sure about other places.

I hope it will not be so strict, if they introduce some sort of NOC targeting. Because it would make most people ineligible. Also, I know CEC are trashed in this forum but as I understand, there was no CEC back then? Or did this only refer to outland candidates?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the explanation and the list. Yes, I don't see FIFO happening, but some NOC targeting could happen. On the other hand, I see that the list is relatively short, so it would make most present candidates ineligible? (Accidentally, my wife's NOC is on the list, but like you said, it was 2015). I know her NOC is in demand in Alberta at the moment but not sure about other places.

I hope it will not be so strict, if they introduce some sort of NOC targeting. Because it would make most people ineligible. Also, I know CEC are trashed in this forum but as I understand, there was no CEC back then? Or did this only refer to outland candidates?
CEC existed back then too. However not all NOCs were accepted. There were some NOCs that were excluded from CEC like retail supervisor.

Reactions: OneStepAtATime

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
CEC existed back then too. However not all NOCs were accepted. There were some NOCs that were excluded from CEC like retail supervisor.
Oh good to know. So there was more restriction in NOCs for FSW than CEC?

Again, I apologize for bringing CEC here :) It's just that this is the most informative topic on the entire forum and also the most active.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh good to know. So there was more restriction in NOCs for FSW than CEC?

Again, I apologize for bringing CEC here :) It's just that this is the most informative topic on the entire forum and also the most active.
Yes, that's how it worked. But again, this was seven years ago.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Yes, that's how it worked. But again, this was seven years ago.
Yes, understandable. I feel we all wish for more more transparency about how EE will look after July. Like one of the anove posters, my wife passed French to boost her points so it will be great if it's useful.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Sounds like I'll have to settle for a OINP paper based nomination now, the scrubbiest of all of the applications

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Alright, so the plan so far for soft landing:

1. Land in Canada. Give friend's address on PR card.
2. Get SIN number in the next couple of days, if not in Service Canada counter at the airport.
3. Get Bank account sorted and order a credit card at the same address. Credit card will help me establish a credit rating by the time I land next time.
4. Also get a UPS mail box which provides me a real address in Canada for receiving mail while I am not there. They can also ship internationally or a local address that I choose.
5. Get back to my home country and wait for PR card and credit card to arrive
6. Profit

After that I should be able to return to Canada in my own time with a job and an established credit rating. After that I can get a car and my own place without much hassle, I think.

What else should I look into? Have I overlooked anything?
I've just landed in Canada just last week, and from what I can say.

> The SIN takes 2-3 weeks at least for me, even when I applied in person, the guy I talked to mentioned that most new immigrants have this kind of issue, since the IRCC office and the one issuing the SIN has to sync-up and everything.
> If you managed to get a hold of Service Canada in the airport and get processed within the day, then you're very lucky. They're really slow; I had to line up as early as 7AM, just make sure I get processed within the day; and based from the locals I've talked to: in some parts of Canada particularly in Toronto, people are lining up as early as 3AM.
> If you can open up a bank account prior to landing that would be better, I used Scotiabank Startright since they would be more lenient with opening up an account for you without a SIN.
> Not sure how well are you going to hold up with waiting for PR, and CC outside Canada. Sounds risky to me, it would be hard to return to Canada if you don't get hold of the PR card.

One more thing, the immigration line at the airport when you land is going to take about 3-4 hours to finish. A lot of people are coming in, droves of families, this is on top of all the study permits and work permits, my guess is that this what happens if IRCC approved a lot of PR applications simultaneously.

oinkario

Nov 2, 2021
Category........
PNP
My mom is a US PR and she frequently goes to Brazil, due to have housing in Brazil as her retirement plan. One year she had to go twice because of an emergency and the second time she returned, the border officer started questioning her a lot, making her have to prove she actually lives in the US. You are not safe until you become a citizen, but she’s been waiting for over a year for her citizenship. US for immigrants is hell. Immigration instead of being helpful are actually there just to test you your whole life.
True. Had I been able to go back to US and get PR for my spouse, my parents in-law will still face a ton of potential issues getting visitor visas. My in-laws are great and I would hate to have them unable to visit.

One has to sacrifice a lot, or be ready to do so, for a status in the US. If I do get to settle in CA, a few years from now I might consider it a boon to have US shut its door on me. Who knows.

Last edited:

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
True. Had I been able to go back to US and get PR for my spouse, my parents in-law will still face a ton of potential issues getting visitor visas. My in-laws are great and I would hate to have them unable to visit.

One has to sacrifice a lot, or be ready to do so, for a status in the US. If I do get to settle in CA, a few years from now I might consider it a boon to have US shut its door on me. Who knows.
Yeah, my visitors visa expired and the lawyer said I most likely won’t be able to get another one, since my mom is a PR there. Which kinda sucks because I’m like a few blocks away from Windsor-Detroit bridge and all the fun things to do around here is in Detroit lol. I’ll still try and waste money attempting another visa.