+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Best way to get an answer is if you see considerable number of jobs in your industry and whether you are 75 percentile and above candidate or below. The shelf-life of >75 percentile IC is less than 2 months in programming. 50 percentilers take 2-6 months to find a job. 95 percentilers don't have a shelf-life as they are in extremely high demand. This data is from my F500 org that I shared with my HR and serves as a benchmark for better funnel management ensure we don't lose talent when it shouldn't be lost.

If you are looking for a non-IC (individual contributor) role, things can take time. Anyone below Sr. Manager is an IC.

>I see that everyone lands so fast after getting RFV
There are significant number of people who are only doing soft landing these days as they can't afford to pay 4-6 months in rents.

Consider talking to professionals in your field. Better if they are an immigrant who can share without filters with you. Pay them for an hour of their time for a coffee chat. We all appreciate these people who are serious about understanding the landscape and don't just blindly spam "I'm looking for a job...".

If you are in tech (e.g. programming), easy to land something pretty fast.
Can I ask approximately how old you are? Are you Senior Manager/Director level?

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
And here I thought I was the only Canada bear on this forum after our friend left due to health issues.

I'm enjoying this slow crash. I've spoken to so many skilled and high earners on this forum and till this year, all their earnings could not keep up with the Realtors of the country. Imagine a top class engineer earning close to 500k an year and then we have shady as hell college diploma Realtors making MILLIONS in commission and fees with questionable IQ levels.

Canada is going to learn the hard way that engineers, MBAs, doctors and researchers is what generates organic wealth. I'm happy the folks on here will be comfortable despite this recession nonsense.
Meanwhile many Realtors are out there looking for jobs and driving uber eats coz it's over. Real Estate will be hated for the next few years if not decades.
I don't know man, it seems prices keep going up, it's going to the moon lol.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
I keep seeing this opinion, but for every statement Marc Miller makes that shows them taking a step in this direction, they take 2 steps in the completely opposite direction. I can't seem to make sense of this.
You are witnessing the "big tent" politics of left liberals. They need a tent so big that they can accomodate the youth hurt by housing prices, old guys whose houses are their retirement-plans and business owners who need to make money back. This is why all liberal politicians sound so dishonest and all liberal/left of the spectrum politics makes no sense what so ever.

For example, they said they will cap. No province has appreciated the idea of a cap. The cries on labour shortage seemed to have killed this idea and there's no more news on it.
Oh don't worry there will be a cap. Be sure about it. Its just that it will have so many holes that it will be useless.

They also say "international students and housing crisis needs to be evaluated", then Marc Miller goes on a podcast and say "number of students isn't the problem, we need to hold the educational institutions accountable that are taking in more than expected". Then talks about capping diploma mills. Quite possible this dude comes up with a list of 20 institutes that are not allowed to get more than "X" number of international students, but at the same time they'll allow some other institutes to take in a lot more. The result could be net zero.

I'm confused and my colleagues in BC, ON are equally confused too.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Told ya? Welcome to the liberal BS.

Its like new age spirituality. It sounds very profound but ultimately its BS. Surprisingly it sells very well. Try it sometimes!
https://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
How difficult is it to find a job in Canada after getting a PR? I see that everyone lands so fast after getting RFV, did you guys land first and figure out the job? or finding a job first then land? I am getting cold feet now of moving countries.. feel like I need to start a new life from scratch.
Also, does anyone here know how to transfer a position from Singapore Interactive Broker to Canada that has the best tax implication?
My honest recommendation to everyone around here has always been the same: Come here with a job, please. It will save a lot of headache, heartache and pain. I have seen it in my home.

I came with a job. My wife did not. She is now doing her Phd because we decided that instead of fighting the system, to use it to our advantage. There are limited jobs in government sectors in her field. I did not have to work survival jobs, she had to take up a retail job and then a customer support job. It was hard.

So make sure atleast one person in the family comes with a job. It helps a lot.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Well, if you get into Apple then probably you are already better than most people, right? I meant I can think of only a few companies that are better than FAANG. I see that it is difficult for US government to deny GC applications for Apple engineers. If you are skillful enough to work at apple, then you probably don't take any jobs from Americans. How long does it take for self sponsored GC? For premium processing, you can get your GC in 15 days?
Depends on what industry are you in. Software? yeah for sure FAANG is probably best, but hardware? Tesla, SpaceX, Nvidia, are better prospects.
15 days is only for the priority I-140 processing - this is just one of many steps required for a GC application, on average it's about 16 mos. (assuming [1] you're on ROW, and [2] there is a VISA available), or 24 mos if you don't do priority I-140.

I disagree, it is NOT difficult for the US government to deny a GC application for ANY company. You working at Apple has no bearing, even if you work at McDonald's or Starbucks (I mean that as a potential VP or director), you are as likely to get a GC as an engineer at Apple. The problem with the GC application is the process: (1) it's long because the company must prove that they tried really hard to hire an American or someone with a GC, but can't find any potential candidates, and (2) it's limited, the US only allows a certain number of GCs per year, and I'm not even talking about ROW vs India/China. As of the September 2023 VISA bulletin, ROW EB2 applicants can only get a GC if they applied earlier than July 2022 (1 year wait) or for EB3 applicants May 2020 (3 year wait time), so if you're ROW and everything else has been settled today (meaning PERM, I-140, medical, etc. are all ok), you still have a wait time (1 year for EB-2 and 3 years for EB-3) before you can actually get your GC .

I guess it is good to keep the Canadian citizenship as an option. The US and Canada probably are the two most similar yet different countries in the world. They sort of complement each other in a way. US for money and Canada for social nets.. Btw since you know about dual citizenship taxation, do you invest in Canada? TFSA, CRA, etc? What's the retirement account that is recommended if you are a dual citizen ? I feel that the retirement account is where the dual taxation might get messy.
RRSP is recognized by the USA as a retirement account similar to their 401K, so you might want to consider that. TFSA will be taxed if you're in the US, this is not recognized as a Roth IRA, so better liquidate early. By the way when I say the USA, I mean the US federal government, you might be taxed separately depending on which state you live in and they may not recognize these accounts as tax-exempt. By the way, I just know the TLDR of the dual citizenship taxation, always do your own research when it comes to these things.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
How difficult is it to find a job in Canada after getting a PR? I see that everyone lands so fast after getting RFV, did you guys land first and figure out the job? or finding a job first then land? I am getting cold feet now of moving countries.. feel like I need to start a new life from scratch.
Also, does anyone here know how to transfer a position from Singapore Interactive Broker to Canada that has the best tax implication?
Depends on your industry, as the other guys mentioned if you're in tech, and maybe healthcare, you probably would be able to get a job within a few days/weeks, but I do know some people who took a few months to find an open position. I work in tech (but not software), and I was able to find a job before I landed. You really are starting a new life from scratch, but depending on where you come from, it could be what you just needed, it certainly is for me.

I suggest liquidating and sending the money to Canada before you come here, to remove all tax implications. You could open a broker here when you land and just reinvest the money.

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
I don't know man, it seems prices keep going up, it's going to the moon lol.
The issue is fundamentals of economy is wrong ,I am not an economist but this is just common sense.
You increase the intrest rates to reduce consumer spending and then you bring 1 M + immigrants (including me ) so what will be the net effect, you will have more inflation.
Like someone told early the govt will try their best to avoid a housing crash because most of the CPP is in real estates and retirement funds of common canadians also.So don't hope it will crash or conservatives will save the world ,It will happen but not anytime soon
Lack of jobs or unemployment most of investments go to housing guess what nothing to invest in business so no Jon's more unemployment/underemployment.
Oligopoly and monopolies in banking, housing,retail ,I work as an analyst in a leading retail company in canada trust me you can easily understand if you look at it.
Garbage economy-Honestly I am looking for a new job but I have never struggled this much in my life to find a damn job with my qualifications ,that too after working in 2 fortune 500 companies, pay is garbage even after asking for a lot of experience. In US with Mt skills I should easily get 75-100k USD .here in cad current job is okay in terms of pay ,but when I look for a new 1 they are offering 50k cad which is way less than what i get paid now,really ,how fo you expect me to even pay rent with that.when I look I think india is better in this aspect.
I am just waiting for the passport after that man I am done can't take this crap anymore, I don't want to work till death for a roof over my head,and food .
If it was not for my nationality never would have moved from US ,such a miserable country with miserable people

Last edited:

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
You increase the intrest rates to reduce consumer spending and then you bring 1 M + immigrants (including me ) so what will be the net effect, you will have more inflation.
My theory is that the government is bringing in 1M+ immigrants because they know that not all of them are going to stay long term.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
My theory is that the government is bringing in 1M+ immigrants because they know that not all of them are going to stay long term.
May ne ,you have a point because for example someone I know is paying taxes on 100k for last 11 yrs ,he is planning to leave which means he won't claim the benefits .

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
May ne ,you have a point because for example someone I know is paying taxes on 100k for last 11 yrs ,he is planning to leave which means he won't claim the benefits .
We all go where the grass is greener don't we? Personally I don't dislike Canada, I actually prefer it here that my home country by a lot, and I'd rather stick it out in Edmonton or Calgary or even the Maritimes than go back home; but I am open to the idea of following the money south of the border. Anyway if this person you know already has citizenship then he/she could come back here anytime if the situation changes, and who knows maybe in 5-10 years Canada manages to actually fix its housing crisis, and healthcare problems?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
The issue is fundamentals of economy is wrong ,I am not an economist but this is just common sense.
Like someone told early the govt will try their best to avoid a housing crash because most of the CPP is in real estates and retirement funds of common canadians also.So don't hope it will crash or conservatives will save the world ,It will happen but not anytime soon
Lack of jobs or unemployment most of investments go to housing guess what nothing to invest in business so no Jon's more unemployment/underemployment.
Oligopoly and monopolies in banking, housing,retail ,I work as an analyst in a leading retail company in canada trust me you can easily understand if you look at it.
Garbage economy-Honestly I am looking for a new job but I have never struggled this much in my life to find a damn job with my qualifications ,that too after working in 2 fortune 500 companies, pay is garbage even after asking for a lot of experience. In US with Mt skills I should easily get 75-100k USD .here in cad current job is okay in terms of pay ,but when I look for a new 1 they are offering 50k cad which is way less than what i get paid now,really ,how fo you expect me to even pay rent with that.when I look I think india is better in this aspect.
I am just waiting for the passport after that man I am done can't take this crap anymore, I don't want to work till death for a roof over my head,and food .
If it was not for my nationality never would have moved from US ,such a miserable country with miserable people
Let's stay in touch mate, we'll need to discuss strategies to move once we get passport

Reactions: PRANIT01

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Notice how he says everything but dodges saying we need to "cap". My colleagues tell me that both parties are pro immigration and unlikely to put any significant cap. PP has no solid opinion here, he's just pushing buttons on emotions for votes.
The three mainstream parties in Canada: Liberal (left), NDP (centrists) and Conservatives (right) have almost identical policy stands on most matters. They only differ in mud-slinging on each other.

And then there is Bloc-Quebecois... which is actually a disease rather than a political party.