+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I hate that excuse tbh. Why make your father get a loan and gamble their money on lifestyle? I understand multi-generational living and the benefits of it, but people should work to get their own funds instead of putting their entire family in debt.

I've lived across US, UK and EU - when people used to ask me where are you from, I used to say "India". People used to say how hard-working we really are and the vibe was always good. The image was built by hardworking folks who were above a threshold so the world only knew about hardworking Indian immigrants. The zero quality filter has destroyed this image now in Canada.

It is harder for me as an Indian to move to Punjab or Kerala and live there right now(I once tried!), compared to a Punjabi or Malyali to move to Canada. That's how low the threshold really is for someone to come to Canada.
Mate, it was [an attempt at] satire I'm not from Punjab and my father isn't a farmer. I fully agree with you. But I keep seeing news articles with stories like this and these people demand PR or something else from Canada.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Yes sir, I've been reading about the Tulip mania, the 1920s stock market and Kuwait's stock market. Already read and understood as much as I can about 2008 and dot com. It's all the same.

But this is my first time and so far I'm very impressed with the sheer absurdity of it all. I was too young to understand dotcom and 2008 as they were transpiring. Canada's real estate bubble is the first one I'm personally experiencing and it's so much more painful to experience than to just read and learn about.

I understand the fascination with LLMs and ChatGPT but if it bursts, so far I don't think it'll hurt the economy of a country like this everything bubble's burst will. Eventually it might, and round and round we will go.
In 2018 or 2019, lots of people were convinced that mortgage interest rates will not go beyond 5% ever. I was not. And they did. Interest rates may go up even further.

• Haha
Reactions: imransyed

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
It shouldn't matter. PR is not a right but a privilege. Many foreign students / workers have to leave USA too (look at the recent layoffs and limited H-1B quotas). So they need to leave entitlement behind and face the reality of not getting a PR and leaving Canada. Also, Canada's deportation system and assessment of illegal refugees needs to be much more aggressive and faster than it is today.
One issue is they have extended PGWP for 3 years now. Those who have no chance at PR will just assume they are owed one. The government needs to rip off the bandaid and let it expire already.

abhiram.kumar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
One issue is they have extended PGWP for 3 years now. Those who have no chance at PR will just assume they are owed one. The government needs to rip off the bandaid and let it expire already.
I have a feeling that because of their tanking poll numbers, they’re not going to extend the removal of work hour restrictions and the post graduate work permits. The liberals know that temporary migrants are now a huge issue and encouraging this form of immigration is political suicide. Based on the polls, the conservatives are already on their way to win a majority. This was not the case 6 months back.

abhiram.kumar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
PR is a right. My pader sold his farm in Punjab so I can attend the pretigious University of Cornestoga and Lambtons. I worked in Tim Horton's as Supervisor for 2 years paying so much tax for Canada and benefiting Canada with my leadership traits. Meanwhile, I have bought a 2nd hand BMW on 10% interest mortgage to show on Insta and TikTok. Let's email all the ministers and CBC news as well to shine a light on our plight. /s
I seriously have no idea why these kids are so desperate to stay in Canada? I’ve seen how some of them live. There’s absolutely no improvement in their lives. They live in squalid conditions, work 3 jobs and are exploited to the max by other Indians. In what way is this lifestyle an improvement over India and what the hell are they even trying to achieve by being over here?

Reactions: imransyed

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I have a feeling that because of their tanking poll numbers, they’re not going to extend the removal of work hour restrictions and the post graduate work permits. The liberals know that temporary migrants are now a huge issue and encouraging this form of immigration is political suicide. Based on the polls, the conservatives are already on their way to win a majority. This was not the case 6 months back.
I keep seeing this opinion, but for every statement Marc Miller makes that shows them taking a step in this direction, they take 2 steps in the completely opposite direction. I can't seem to make sense of this.

For example, they said they will cap. No province has appreciated the idea of a cap. The cries on labour shortage seemed to have killed this idea and there's no more news on it.

They also say "international students and housing crisis needs to be evaluated", then Marc Miller goes on a podcast and say "number of students isn't the problem, we need to hold the educational institutions accountable that are taking in more than expected". Then talks about capping diploma mills. Quite possible this dude comes up with a list of 20 institutes that are not allowed to get more than "X" number of international students, but at the same time they'll allow some other institutes to take in a lot more. The result could be net zero.

I'm confused and my colleagues in BC, ON are equally confused too.

abhiram.kumar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
I keep seeing this opinion, but for every statement Marc Miller makes that shows them taking a step in this direction, they take 2 steps in the completely opposite direction. I can't seem to make sense of this.

For example, they said they will cap. No province has appreciated the idea of a cap. The cries on labour shortage seemed to have killed this idea and there's no more news on it.

They also say "international students and housing crisis needs to be evaluated", then Marc Miller goes on a podcast and say "number of students isn't the problem, we need to hold the educational institutions accountable that are taking in more than expected". Then talks about capping diploma mills. Quite possible this dude comes up with a list of 20 institutes that are not allowed to get more than "X" number of international students, but at the same time they'll allow some other institutes to take in a lot more. The result could be net zero.

He’s right on one aspect. A blanket hard cap on all institutions probably won’t solve any issue. Tackling fraud in the system would eliminate all the garbage institutions from Canada. It’s like killing two birds with one stone. They’ve already developed the framework.

https://monitor.icef.com/2023/08/canada-to-modernise-student-visa-programme-with-trusted-institution-framework/

They’re going to regulate DLIs. The provincial regulatory framework is garbage. The Feds are going to place institutions into categories. One for “Trusted Institutions” and the other for the rest. Marc Miller claimed that trusted institutions would be rewarded and the ones which are not would be punished. What the punishment entails? We”ll probably know in the near future.

abhiram.kumar

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018

He’s right on one aspect. A blanket hard cap on all institutions probably won’t solve any issue. Tackling fraud in the system would eliminate all the garbage institutions from Canada. It’s like killing two birds with one stone. They’ve already developed the framework.

https://monitor.icef.com/2023/08/canada-to-modernise-student-visa-programme-with-trusted-institution-framework/

They’re going to regulate DLIs. The provincial regulatory framework is garbage. The Feds are going to place institutions into categories. One for “Trusted Institutions” and the other for the rest. Marc Miller claimed that trusted institutions would be rewarded and the ones which are not would be punished. What the punishment entails? We”ll probably know in the near future.
An interesting point to note in that article is that the framework is also based on the idea that there is a greater need for diversification in the student population. Lol. They’ve basically admitted that there are too many people from India and that they need diversity in the student population. They can’t say the quiet part loud. This is their way of informally placing a country cap. They’re going to reward the institutions which recruit a diverse set of students and punish institutions which only recruit Indians.

• Haha
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019

This is honestly the best way to deal with the situation. A school that loses their designation, loses their demand, cause no one will come study here if they can’t get a work permit from it. Though I’m sure removing a school’s designation would hardly happen and would be the last line of punishment.

Honestly, satellite colleges, that use a public college’s name, but are operated by a private entity should be required to get their own designation. These colleges just become diploma mills for international students, using the name of a public college from the middle of nowhere.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
This is honestly the best way to deal with the situation. A school that loses their designation, loses their demand, cause no one will come study here if they can’t get a work permit from it. Though I’m sure removing a school’s designation would hardly happen and would be the last line of punishment.

Honestly, satellite colleges, that use a public college’s name, but are operated by a private entity should be required to get their own designation. These colleges just become diploma mills for international students, using the name of a public college from the middle of nowhere.
There's so many of them...Either government is incompetent or willingly allowing this to happen getting a share of the take. It's probably both...

Reactions: Alysson

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
Ultimately it comes down to this. If you go for GC and then fail, are you okay to go back to your home country for a year or however long it may take to get canadian pr. If answer is yes, go for gc. If answer is that your home country is a pile of shit then Canadian PR is probably more suitable for you
Sometimes it feels sad that people use Canada PR as a backup plan. But, I feel that even the government also promotes it that way, for example, the H1B to OWP pathway also feels like a backup plan. However, since CRS score cutoff is going up and up, it is probably harder for someone to have Canada PR as a backup plan. I feel that people need more planning to get Canada PR nowadays.

Last edited:

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
I doubt FAANG is as benevolent as you make it to be, sure you can make a request but I don't believe it would be approved, it all depends on your skillset and if it makes business sense, if you're an executive or one of those fellow or distinguished engineers for sure they'll fork out a GC, but if you're a common garden variety senior engineer, my guess is that you'll end up waiting like the rest of the pack.

- One more thing though, even IF a company sponsored you it is ultimately up to the US government to determine if you are worthy to get a GC. A $3T company like Apple cannot guarantee you a GC in the US, nor can it accelerate the process of getting one, which means you still have to fall in line with the other GC applicants no cutting in.

Spousal GC tends to be the fastest, they take about 14-18 mos. from start of application to GC.
Employment GC takes about 18-24mos from the day you start the PERM application, and assuming you paid the priority I-140.
Well, if you get into Apple then probably you are already better than most people, right? I meant I can think of only a few companies that are better than FAANG. I see that it is difficult for US government to deny GC applications for Apple engineers. If you are skillful enough to work at apple, then you probably don't take any jobs from Americans. How long does it take for self sponsored GC? For premium processing, you can get your GC in 15 days?

I am ROW. I'm keeping my Canadian PR, and getting a Canadian citizenship first for the following reasons:

(1) I am NOT willing to take the risk of being forced to return to my home country. I don't like the idea of applying to the US, only declining at the very end because a company would only do an H1B or maybe hire me locally in Canada and transfer me over to the US via L1. The salary is immaterial at this point, even if they offer me something like 400K I'll still decline it, because the chance of being kicked out of the US would be very very real on a temporary VISA - just look at the number of people with H1Bs that got laid-off recently from big companies like Amazon and Facebook, I don't want to end up like those people struggling to find a sponsor in the short 60 day period.

(2) Getting a direct GC is very difficult even for ROW, statistically people who are outside the US has a 60% chance of being approved for a GC versus those who apply inside at 95% - assuming of course, all requirements are satisfied i.e. legal status, fraud checks, etc., that said most companies prefer going through an H1B or L1 route to bring people in. As described above, I'm not one of those executives, or someone with an extremely unique skillset that would warrant a direct GC sponsorship, so what would likely happen is that they'll keep me under temporary permit until a business case appears that would make sponsoring me for a GC worth it. I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic.
From the news I see, and stories I've heard, I feel that's how things are going to work, and as I previously said I will not go back to my home country.

(3) I want the Canadian passport, since being able to travel without stringent VISA requirements is something I'm looking forward to. It's not just about making money, it's about spending it too.

(4) I want my options, the US is known for less positive things like mass shootings, crime and even organized shoplifting (Walmart closed in Portland because a lot of people just come in, get stuff and get out without paying), being able to just drive north and settle there is always welcome. It's unquestionable that the US makes more money and has better careers, the same way it's unquestionable that Canada is more peaceful and has less crime.

So I'll go south and try to make $$$, and try to settle there, then if there are too many bullets going over my head OR I fail to get a GC, I'll just drive up north - hopefully I'll have enough money for a home downpayment when that happens though.
I guess it is good to keep the Canadian citizenship as an option. The US and Canada probably are the two most similar yet different countries in the world. They sort of complement each other in a way. US for money and Canada for social nets.. Btw since you know about dual citizenship taxation, do you invest in Canada? TFSA, CRA, etc? What's the retirement account that is recommended if you are a dual citizen ? I feel that the retirement account is where the dual taxation might get messy.

ivicts

Jun 3, 2020
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-04-2023
LANDED..........
11-04-2024
How difficult is it to find a job in Canada after getting a PR? I see that everyone lands so fast after getting RFV, did you guys land first and figure out the job? or finding a job first then land? I am getting cold feet now of moving countries.. feel like I need to start a new life from scratch.
Also, does anyone here know how to transfer a position from Singapore Interactive Broker to Canada that has the best tax implication?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
How difficult is it to find a job in Canada after getting a PR? I see that everyone lands so fast after getting RFV, did you guys land first and figure out the job? or finding a job first then land? I am getting cold feet now of moving countries.. feel like I need to start a new life from scratch.
Also, does anyone here know how to transfer a position from Singapore Interactive Broker to Canada that has the best tax implication?
Best way to get an answer is if you see considerable number of jobs in your industry and whether you are 75 percentile and above candidate or below. The shelf-life of >75 percentile IC is less than 2 months in programming. 50 percentilers take 2-6 months to find a job. 95 percentilers don't have a shelf-life as they are in extremely high demand. This data is from my F500 org that I shared with my HR and serves as a benchmark for better funnel management ensure we don't lose talent when it shouldn't be lost.

If you are looking for a non-IC (individual contributor) role, things can take time. Anyone below Sr. Manager is an IC.

>I see that everyone lands so fast after getting RFV
There are significant number of people who are only doing soft landing these days as they can't afford to pay 4-6 months in rents.

Consider talking to professionals in your field. Better if they are an immigrant who can share without filters with you. Pay them for an hour of their time for a coffee chat. We all appreciate these people who are serious about understanding the landscape and don't just blindly spam "I'm looking for a job...".

If you are in tech (e.g. programming), easy to land something pretty fast.

Reactions: ivicts