+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

ashu2111

Jul 15, 2020
I have heard the Speaking section in TCF is harder than TEF
I scored very high in DELF B2 but TEF Canada is a nightmare, even for those who are decent in French. Especially the reading part is so bad;they give you such limited amount of time. I completely messed it up. Did TCF Canada after that and scored two B2s and two C1s.

D

Deleted member 1006777

everyone keeps telling me a « b2 plus »
in next 4months ,from a2, is hardly achievable
This is false. It is achievable. Don't listen to people who have never done it and would rather talk nonsense about stuff they know nothing about. 7-8 hours a day and 4 months, it's very very likely you'll get a B2 plus in that time.

Also, don't put too much time into deciding which exam is easier or whatever. Pick one at random if you want, and stick with it. The key part is to give at least 2 months of prep time for whatever exam you decide to go with. I don't quite agree with TEF reading being tough, it was the section I least prepared for and was 2 points shorts of a C2 lmao. I barely passed writing though, and the key reason was not understanding the prompt fully.

Last edited by a moderator:

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Well if they make it that complicated then I doubt they'll meet their immigration quotas. But I agree that you're right. IRCC is not really reliable at all and that's an understatement. The current EE system with the CRS ranking is much better than NOC specific draws. It encourages people to work hard to improve their scores! Although it's entirely possible that from next year, they'll spit on the faces of candidates with 500+ crs to pick up NOC D occupations. It's scary. I wish they kept the current infrastructure in place or only did a limited number of NOC specific draw. Rehauling the entire system makes no sense.
I can't believe I am saying this, but according to Sean * ( his unclear hints), it is likely that category draws will be combined with regular ones. I think it was something along the lines of "we will continue to invite high scoring candidates."

What that means in practice is anyone's guess, but I do think they will have at least some no category specified draws. But CRS scores will likely remain extremely high. Now it makes me think that perhaps the whole NOC draw thing is their attempt to correct that issue and give a chance to lower scoring candidates, too. This seems fair, except that I - selfishly, I admit - don't want it to hurt 500+ candidates.

Rach WLT

Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
My wife's answer: Listening is a bit more difficult in TCF, imo, but reading and writing in TEF are much more difficult than in TCF. Speaking is about the same. Just my opinion.
Hi, any idea how many correct answers out of 29 questions to get B2 level in TCF?

Reactions: armitabbsn

armitabbsn

Oct 6, 2020
Iran
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I scored very high in DELF B2 but TEF Canada is a nightmare, even for those who are decent in French. Especially the reading part is so bad;they give you such limited amount of time. I completely messed it up. Did TCF Canada after that and scored two B2s and two C1s.
I have heard in TCF speaking section its needed to speak for 5 min abt a subject
ThatS why I was cosidering TEF

Reactions: SatNight

armitabbsn

Oct 6, 2020
Iran
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
This is false. It is achievable. Don't listen to people who have never done it and would rather talk nonsense about stuff they know nothing about. 7-8 hours a day and 4 months, it's very very likely you'll get a B2 plus in that time.

Also, don't put too much time into deciding which exam is easier or whatever. Pick one at random if you want, and stick with it. The key part is to give at least 2 months of prep time for whatever exam you decide to go with. I don't quite agree with TEF reading being tough, it was the section I least prepared for and was 2 points shorts of a C2 lmao. I barely passed writing though, and the key reason was not understanding the prompt fully.
Hmm now u guys made me to consider TCF as well… well , the people in french groups and also my french teacher encouraged me towards TEF. Specially abt one of the sections in speaking which I need to talk abt sth for 5 min continously !
but the main good point abt TCF is I need B2( not b2 plus)

Reactions: SatNight
D

Deleted member 1006777

Hmm now u guys made me to consider TCF as well… well , the people in french groups and also my french teacher encouraged me towards TEF. Specially abt one of the sections in speaking which I need to talk abt sth for 5 min continously !
You're completely misunderstanding the point. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT EXAM YOU TAKE. TCF is not easier than TEF because you need a B2 and not a B2+. Idk where you're getting this bogus information from. The actual designation of A1 to C2 is completely irrelevant. This is not DELF/DALF. What matters is the actual score you get, and the conversion of that score to CLB levels. Whether TEF or TCF calls it B1 or Y17 makes absolutely no difference (to be more precise, there actually is no difference between CEFR levels between exams. Once again, either you're adhering to incorrect information or you're misunderstanding it).

Here's the ircc website for score conversions. The only thing that matters is to get your scores above the CLB7 level.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/language-requirements/test-equivalency-charts.html

^ Scroll all the way to the bottom.

If I have in any way made you "consider TCF as well", then I have wasted your time. Pick an exam an stick to it. Any time spent deciding which exam is easier or better is time wasted. Simple as that.

The way to get your desired score is toL
1. Get your true language ability to at least a low B2.
2. Pick an exam TCF or TEF (the most important factor is availability in your city or country), and prepare specifically for that exam to get a result above your true language ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

oinkario

Nov 2, 2021
Category........
PNP
2. Pick an exam TCF or TEF (the most important factor is availability in your city or country), and prepare specifically for that exam to get a result above your true language ability.
Anyone giving advice like this really knows their shit and speaks the truth. No sarcasm. :)

armitabbsn

Oct 6, 2020
Iran
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
You're completely misunderstanding the point. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT EXAM YOU TAKE. TCF is not easier than TEF because you need a B2 and not a B2+. Idk where you're getting this bogus information from. The actual designation of A1 to C2 is completely irrelevant. This is not DELF/DALF. What matters is the actual score you get, and the conversion of that score to CLB levels. Whether TEF or TCF calls it B1 or Y17 makes absolutely no difference (to be more precise, there actually is no difference between CEFR levels between exams. Once again, either you're adhering to incorrect information or you're misunderstanding it).

Here's the ircc website for score conversions. The only thing that matters is to get your scores above the CLB7 level.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/language-requirements/test-equivalency-charts.html

^ Scroll all the way to the bottom.

If I have in any way made you "consider TCF as well", then I have wasted your time. Pick an exam an stick to it. Any time spent deciding which exam is easier or better is time wasted. Simple as that.

Got it
By saying « u guys made me to consider TCF » I meant u guys made me to consider and search a bit abt both exams.(cuz in my country ppl mainly take Tef) , now it seems both exams have some pros and cons / not much differences in the end

I will focus to get to low b2 level in the earliest
I thought in 4months getting b2 plus might be impossible
But Im more hopeful now

i just need to going back to the routine of studying 7-8hours daily

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I have heard in TCF speaking section its needed to speak for 5 min abt a subject
ThatS why I was cosidering TEF
The last task is to speak for 4.5 minutes, but it is not as scary as it sounds. It is expressing your own opinion on a topic.

This might seem complicated, but it is jot as scary as it sounds. My wife preferred that to roleplay B in TEF. However, it's fair enough that some people might prefer TEF in this area.

Again, the main difference is reading and particularly writing, and these are much more difficult in TEF. While listening in TCF and speaking are only a bit harder than in TEF, if at all.

Reactions: OneStepAtATime

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
If you already started preparing for TEF, then it might make sense to continue. Preparing for the specific test is crucial if you are not really good at French (at owast comfortable C1).

That being said, people who have enough time should definitely consider TCF.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
TCF is not easier than TEF because you need a B2 and not a B2+.
TCF is not easier because it doesn't have B2 inferior. It is easier because it's an easier test.

Furthermore, to reach B2 inferior in TEF is more of an effort than to reach B2 in TCF. And B2 inferior gives you 0 bonus points because it's level 6 and not 7.

Do many people score well on TEF? Yes. It is possible. It is also true that some people find TEF more comfortable. None of this changes the fact that TCF* is simply an easier test.

*TCF Canada, of course, since that's the only version accepted.

ElvisRamaj

Apr 26, 2021
Tirana, AL
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
@ElvisRamaj @mushymush
Do u guys know any good youtube channel for French?
To tell you the truth I started listening to videos that had only conversations, probably extracted from a book somewhere and than I began to listen the French presidential political debates. It was a way for me to enjoy and learn French at the same time, plus you understand the everyday language they use.