+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW WORLDWIDE

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Yeah but think one that goes all through your PhD so not just an 8 month co-op. Basically your thesis is also the company's work; co-op isn't quite like that. Btw the pay is probably shit since they label you student and a co-op. EU ones take you as a researcher = good pay.
To be honest , I tried really hard to find that one :), and I agree it's pretty rare in Canada, and if there is, it would most likely be under the scenario where-in the employee has already been working in the company and would like to take advantage of some personal-training benefit, which means the companies who are doing it would most likely do it because they're "helping" their employee rather than looking for actual researchers.

Can't comment on the pay though, don't know what's the fair price for that. I've always thought graduate students get low balled until they finished their degree, unless of course in the situations like I mentioned above, where the employee/student has already been employed for quite a while, and they're just taking advantage of a company benefit.

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
I knew there should be a reason nobody touch Australia...I really wanna be grateful for the chance Canada is giving to pure outlanders, but on the other hand, if the current mess going to last, then in practice there won't be a difference between the two.
You can also try New Zealand, if you can find your job available in the job market there.

<35 y/o, Perfect English, MS degree, 10+ years work experience, 6+ years experience in one of the critical areas (see below)

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/long-term-skill-shortage-list.pdf

This will get you 165 points, typical cut off for ITA is 160 I think so you might be luckier there than Australia.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
The usual is you're required to have a master's. I haven't heard of any PhD program that accepted students straight out of undergrad; but maybe there are a few out there.
US allows that and I know many moved to US from UG to PhD but they are required take masters level course work in the first year.

D

Deleted member 1050918

Can't comment on the pay though, don't know what's the fair price for that. I've always thought graduate students get low balled until they finished their degree, unless of course in the situations like I mentioned above, where the employee/student has already been employed for quite a while, and they're just taking advantage of a company benefit.
Yeah man if you're a grad student in Canada (or the US) you're basically piss poor; I've had many days with less food to eat than a normal person would need in a normal meal. And these co-ops aren't too different since you're basically cheap labor again. In EU, even the PhD stipend itself is really good; can't call it a stipend lol it's really a salary at this point. And the industry PhDs pay you really good compared to Canada.

US allows that and I know many moved to US from UG to PhD but they are required take masters level course work in the first year.
Direct PhD is the standard in the US; most students skip the MSc if they're not interested in just the MSc specifically. Canada is different though; usually an MSc before a PhD in Canada.

Reactions: RSub

Rish92

Jan 22, 2021
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Guys, does Australia give any chance for pure outlanders? I have checked a couple of times but I can't even pass the eligibility score. For instance, for subclass 189 (I am not sure if this is the correct one or not), I get 55 points only while 65 is the criteria. Anyone could guide me on this, please?
Forget Australia mate. You need to have a job in Aus, or have a student visa to qualify for regional PR. Don’t waste your time otherwise.

Reactions: KojiGold

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Yeah man if you're a grad student in Canada (or the US) you're basically piss poor; I've had many days with less food to eat than a normal person would need in a normal meal. And these co-ops aren't too different since you're basically cheap labor again. In EU, even the PhD stipend itself is really good; can't call it a stipend lol it's really a salary at this point. And the industry PhDs pay you really good compared to Canada.
Yes and the same is here for my country, the stipend is really poor. What I can't fathom though is why Canadian (and US) schools often require Ph.D students to do full-time? and they can't engage in any meaningful work to receive a salary while at it. This sort of dis-incentivizes people in the industry to get a Ph.D, especially if they're already earning a respectable salary. I mean if you look at U of T's offering of ~$15K/year stipend for PhD students, that's peanuts even to most low-skilled professionals.

SalmonAvocado

Jun 1, 2020
I don't need a PPR as I'm from a visa-exempt country. My timeline is:
21/12/2020: Apply for EE
23/12/2020: ITA received
19/1/2021: AOR
8/2/2021: Police Certificate Request Letter
9/2/2021: Biometric Request Letter
8/10/2021: CoPR documents submission
21/10/2021: CoPR approved

Hope it helps
I'm also visa-exempt, but my file hasn't been touched and not even recommendation. :(

D

Deleted member 1050918

Yes and the same is here for my country, the stipend is really poor. What I can't fathom though is why Canadian (and US) schools often require Ph.D students to do full-time? and they can't engage in any meaningful work to receive a salary while at it. This sort of dis-incentivizes people in the industry to get a Ph.D, especially if they're already earning a respectable salary. I mean if you look at U of T's offering of ~$15K/year stipend for PhD students, that's peanuts even to most low-skilled professionals.
Well... The universities think those PhD programs are already full-time. Like legally they're defined as full-time programs but I see what you mean. North American PhDs are built to use foreign students as literal slaves on wages as low as what you mentioned (mine was even lower btw lol). All the profs are rich, all the students (and postdocs really) are poor. Wonder why lol.

Depending on what you're doing and where you're doing it, a US PhD may really work out and pay off. A Canadian PhD may of course do the same but risks are much, much higher. No idea why on earth would ever wanna do a PhD in Canada...

Windsor37

Jul 9, 2020
Well... The universities think those PhD programs are already full-time. Like legally they're defined as full-time programs but I see what you mean. North American PhDs are built to use foreign students as literal slaves on wages as low as what you mentioned (mine was even lower btw lol). All the profs are rich, all the students (and postdocs really) are poor. Wonder why lol.
I wonder is it the same for the rest of the world? Here in the Philippines, you're allowed to go to work and do grad school at the same time, and yes even if you go for a Ph.D., most graduate school coursework is actually scheduled in the weekends because they know people work in the weekdays. As long as you'll meet the requirements of the degree (coursework and thesis) you can graduate, no biases. The only drawback of course, is that if you work and do grad school at the same time then you won't get the stipend, but you do get salary, and gain work experience simultaneously. Me personally I worked while doing my grad school, so after 2-years, I had an MS degree + 2 years work experience, which of course sounded better in your resume since some industries only look at work experience.

Depending on what you're doing and where you're doing it, a US PhD may really work out and pay off. A Canadian PhD may of course do the same but risks are much, much higher. No idea why on earth would ever wanna do a PhD in Canada...
I think the simple reason is cost, if you're going to be self-funded, Canada is way way cheaper than the US.

D

Deleted member 1050918

I wonder is it the same for the rest of the world? Here in the Philippines, you're allowed to go to work and do grad school at the same time, and yes even if you go for a Ph.D., most graduate school coursework is actually scheduled in the weekends because they know people work in the weekdays.
EU is ok with working full-time while doing MSc/PhD. US/CA would be ok too only if you're self-funded. If your supervisor is paying you a stipend to hire you as a research assistant then you're usually not allowed to work elsewhere (except McDonald's lmao). The best deal you get is in EU because you're effectively working in industry while doing your PhD and since your employer employed you to exactly do that thesis, you're not doing x2 work for your job and your research; they're the same so that's less effort.

Reactions: Windsor37

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
two timelines from PPR thread

PPR
Below is my timeline:-
OINP nomination - 17 Jan 2020
ITA - 22 Jan 2020
AOR - 5 Feb 2020
Remedical request - 6 Oct 2021
Remedical passed - 26 Oct 2021
PPR - 28 Oct 2021
COR - India
No dependants in Canada
VO - Sydney NS

from Kubeir's grp
----------------------------------------
I finally got the Passport Request letter!

AOR: Jan 2020
VO: Montreal
COR: India
FSW-O (Regular EE not PNP)
Re-medical and PCC request: Oct 6 2021
Re-medical and PCC completion: Oct 23 2021
Passport submission request: Oct 28 2021