FSW WORLDWIDE

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
First Nations groups slam Quebec's new 'Citizenship and Culture' course
First Nations Education Council says it was never consulted despite minister's claim

First Nations groups in Quebec say the new compulsory Quebec Citizenship and Culture program for elementary and high school students is a step backward, rooted in "nationalist ideology," that was prepared without significant consultation with First Nations.

Education Minister Jean-François Roberge announced Sunday that a new curriculum would replace the province's current Ethics and Religious Culture program, known as ERC.

The new course is meant to focus more on Quebec culture, something premier François Legault said in his recent inaugural speech would help promote "national cohesion."

Denis Gros-Louis, director general of the First Nations Education Council of Quebec, told CBC Wednesday that even the name of the new course is problematic.

"Our greatest surprise was the use of 'Québécois' as an adjective, painting everybody with the same brush," Gros-Louis said.

"And that it would be central to citizenship — we're not citizens!" he continued.

"There's not a single citizenship in Quebec. There are several cultures. There are several languages," Gros-Louis added.

"It's kind of of like telling First Nations that you have to be a good Québécois first, but we'll talk about you in our course. Uhhh — no," Gros-Louis said.

New course 'never discussed'
In the statement announcing the new program, Indigenous Affairs Minister Ian Lafrenière was quoted as saying that the new curriculum was developed in consultation with representatives from First Nations and Inuit communities.
In an email to CBC Wednesday, Lafrenière's spokesperson Mathieu Durocher said the First Nations Education Council was one of the groups consulted.

Gros-Louis said that's not true.

"No. It was never, never discussed in any way, shape or form," Gros-Louis said.

He said the council is part of a group that's been working with the ministry since January to make changes to the existing ERC curriculum.

But Gros-Louis said the idea of renaming the course and focusing on "Quebec citizenship" was never discussed.

He said the first he heard of the new course was in Legault's inaugural speech last week.

Gros-Louis said after that, he requested a meeting with Education Ministry officials, who offered only vague descriptions of what the new course might be.

Announcement 'politicized'
Then came Sunday's announcement by the minister.

The press conference included a video featuring several CAQ cabinet ministers vaunting the new course. Also invited to the announcement were three Quebec entertainers. There were no people of colour or Indigenous people present.

"Where were First Nations? Where were other cultural representatives? Nobody was there, nobody," Gros-Louis said

"When you make such an announcement, you inform ahead of time those who took part in the consultation and you invite them. It would have been respectful," he continued.

"The simple fact that it was only presented by government representatives with a very well sorted-out communication strategy sends a signal that they want to politicize that," Gros-Louis added.

Denial of systemic racism brings mistrust
The Assembly of First Nations Quebec-Labrador also said it was very concerned about the new course, calling it part of a "nationalist ideology" currently being championed by Legault.

Assembly Chief Ghislain Picard said the Legault government's consistent denial that systemic racism exists in Quebec makes it difficult for First Nations to have confidence in the new course.
"What kind of message to young people can be expected by a provincial government that is determined to deny the deep roots of discrimination and racism that make it a systemic scourge?" Picard said in a statement Monday

"Young Quebecers will be convinced that it's legitimate and fair to have built Quebec's collective wealth on the backs of First Nations, and that the rights of the 'Quebec nation' in terms of culture, language and heritage are superior to those of other nations who share the territory," Picard continued.

"There are other ways to build national pride," he concluded.

Name of course is a deal breaker
Gros-Louis said the First Nations Education Council is still willing to consult with the province on the new course, but only if it gets a new name.

"It should be 'Cultures within Quebec' or something like that, but it can't be citizenship with an adjective about Quebec. It can't do that," Gros-Louis said.

"If the name doesn't change and they stick to a political agenda, it's going to be a tough ride," he continued.

"That's what we expect from the Minister of Education — to build inclusiveness, not assimilation," he concluded.

Lafrenière was unavailable for an interview. His spokesperson said the new course content was still in the process of being developed.

"One of the objectives of the course is to better equip our young people, so that they are more aware of the issues and realities of First Nations and Inuit," Durocher said.

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
Trudeau departs for high-stakes talks in Europe on climate change, pandemic

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau waves before departing for the Netherlands from Ottawa on Thursday, Oct. 28, 2021.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau leaves today for Europe, where he will participate in high-stakes talks with other world leaders about pressing issues like climate change and the race to vaccinate people in low- and middle-income countries.

While much of the nearly week-long trip will be dominated by the G20 meeting in Rome and the subsequent 26th "conference of the parties" (COP26) climate summit in Glasgow, Trudeau has carved out time for an official visit to the Netherlands, a country with close historic and diplomatic ties to Canada.

A government official, speaking on background to reporters at a briefing ahead of the trip, said Trudeau was invited by Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte to "really deepen the ties between our two countries, which are already very deep." Rutte made a trip to Canada in 2018 and Trudeau is "returning the invitation," the official said.

The two countries are closely aligned on foreign policy matters, the official said, pointing to ongoing cooperation on the climate file as the two nations push other developed countries to do more to help turn back rising global temperatures.

In an interview with CBC News, Ontario Independent Sen. Peter Boehm, a former G7 sherpa, said Rutte and Trudeau can use the diplomatic face time to discuss how best to approach the Rome summit.

The G20 countries alone represent 80 per cent of the global economy and the bulk of annual greenhouse gas emissions. That makes the Rome summit — coming just before COP26, where the position of G20 nations will be critical — especially important.
A meeting of the G20 environment ministers arrived at an impasse earlier this year when it failed to reach an agreement on priorities like phasing out coal and limiting global warming to 1.5 C. Multiple countries, including China, India, Russia and Saudi Arabia, balked at some of the proposed language.

Canada and the Netherlands could help broker a pragmatic solution through creative "wordsmithing," Boehm said.

"It's a friendly, easy relationship and I would say, since the prime minister is on that side of the Atlantic anyway, renewing that friendship is entirely appropriate in terms of the way these things go," Boehm said, noting that Trudeau and Rutte — who leads the centrist People's Party for Freedom and Democracy — are ideologically aligned.

"They'll discuss bilateral issues, global concerns and they will compare notes on COP going into Glasgow."

kalex123

Dec 27, 2018
Well that was very disappointing. I was really expecting to get atleast some insight into what #IRCC was working/planning for the remainder of the year and 2022.
Except for saying that 2022 will be uneven and that in-Canada attention will be diluted - nothing much...
#NCIC2021 https://t.co/uqZ0aNswQP

Reactions: dankboi

Jaycejay

Champion Member
Jan 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
Well that was very disappointing. I was really expecting to get atleast some insight into what #IRCC was working/planning for the remainder of the year and 2022.
Except for saying that 2022 will be uneven and that in-Canada attention will be diluted - nothing much...
#NCIC2021 https://t.co/uqZ0aNswQP
IRCC never ceases to intentionally mystify us with ambiguous statements that forces us to read several meanings into their usual one-liner statements

What could this sentence possibly mean for us outlanders? Cant deduce much from it, but as one who’s familiar with pharmaceutics, dilution obviously makes a solution weaker or less effective. So does this mean that in-canada attention would be less in 2022? Would they shift focus again to outlanders? We can only wait and see

kalex123

Dec 27, 2018
IRCC never ceases to intentionally mystify us with ambiguous statements that forces us to read several meanings into their usual one-liner statements

What could this sentence possibly mean for us outlanders? Cant deduce much from it, but as one who’s familiar with pharmaceutics, dilution obviously makes a solution weaker or less effective. So does this mean that in-canada attention would be less in 2022? Would they shift focus again to outlanders? We can only wait and see
I hope so
I read on kubeir tweet

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
The general attitude of the country towards newcomers is that once a newcomer lands in Canada, he/she becomes a part of the country. There is racism over here but so what? Racism exists everywhere. It isn't exclusive to Canada. The country as a whole, is open and welcoming regardless of its flaws and problems. Also, most of us who immigrate to Canada, do so to become part of Canadian society. While we do not forget our roots, we are expected to integrate and not bring problems of our home country along with us. I was actually agreeing with Mr. Kangaroo. Don't come over here. There are better options. Let those of us, who are already over here, fix our country and housing crisis first.

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW

one name defines everything "canada"

slavicgirl

Oct 27, 2021

Maybe now that they have a chance to land outlanders they want to grab the opportunity. As i mentioned before Australia is also opening its borders and it is said that they want to boost immigration quite a lot in 2022. It might be wise to pick the best because if they don't do it then Australia will certainly do it. But who knows. Don't expect much before Q1. If no movement in Q2 only then start worrying.

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC

I’d be more annoyed at the paraphrasing from mr facebook group consultant cos it makes no sense sans context. Maybe someone could get the actual transcript to make sense of what was said inatead of relying on a dude who seems to believe he’s doing everyone a favor.

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
Maybe now that they have a chance to land outlanders they want to grab the opportunity. As i mentioned before Australia is also opening its borders and it is said that they want to boost immigration quite a lot in 2022. It might be wise to pick the best because if they don't do it then Australia will certainly do it. But who knows. Don't expect much before Q1. If no movement until Q2 only then start worrying.
As far as I know, employer's in the UK are accepting foreign folks. If interested search and apply. They'll move your WP apps if they find you good and of course well with English. Since Brexit, they turned to skilled folks with English skills rather getting WP rejection due to language proficiency. PR ain't a big deal as long as you have a work here. Yes most apps processing is quick. but we have shitty rainy weather

Last edited:

Alysson

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2019
One thing that’s interesting is that Quebec will recapture unused PR during the pandemic, meaning they will offer 18k more over their yearly quota. Their quota is counted within the yearly federal quota of 400k, so either way feds will have to raise that quota to accept Quebec’s offer. Could be that they take advantage of that and recapture those lost in 2020 as well. If they process at the rate they’ve show to be capable of these last months, then they can process 500k PR in a year.

PRANIT01

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2021
The general attitude of the country towards newcomers is that once a newcomer lands in Canada, he/she becomes a part of the country. There is racism over here but so what? Racism exists everywhere. It isn't exclusive to Canada. The country as a whole, is open and welcoming regardless of its flaws and problems. Also, most of us who immigrate to Canada, do so to become part of Canadian society. While we do not forget our roots, we are expected to integrate and not bring problems of our home country along with us. I was actually agreeing with Mr. Kangaroo. Don't come over here. There are better options. Let those of us, who are already over here, fix our country and housing crisis first.
"THE Country as a whole welcomes foriegners"
Canada gave endless suffering for people who applied to their jacked up country in the year 2019,2020,2021.I can never love that country.
Trust me if I was born anywhere in this world other than India and I was in US like I am ,I wouldn't have given 2 fucks to canada.
But unfortunately things are not like that.I have to watch their shitshow ,because I don't have much options.

Reactions: dankboi

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
"THE Country as a whole welcomes foriegners"
Canada gave endless suffering for people who applied to their jacked up country in the year 2019,2020,2021.I can never love that country.
Trust me if I was born anywhere in this world other than India and I was in US like I am ,I wouldn't have given 2 fucks to canada.
But unfortunately things are not like that.I have to watch their shitshow ,because I don't have much options.
The best thing you can do is get the Citizenship and move back to the US on TN visa. One of the US clients I worked for had a bunch of Canadians working for them in the US.