+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW with Masters Degree - should I get my Bachelor's Degree evaluated by WES?

Sep 22, 2014
Hi Guys!

I have a MS degree from USA and a BE degree from India. I am applying for FSWP 2014.

Reviewing the point system, I see that MS degree will fetch me 23 points. I am facing lot of trouble in trying to get the transcripts for my BE degree. Can you please suggest if it will be okay to only get Master's degree evaluated and submitted for ECA? Will not getting the bachelor degree sent to ECA have any impact on my PR application?

Thanks!

mind

Star Member
May 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014 10:20AM
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Hi,
You need to send both to get an evaluation.

Thanks,
A

arika

Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/10/2014
Nomination.....
14/01/2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2015
Had I been you, I'd send only MSc for asessment since we're supposed to claim point for the highest degree.
And if it's succsesfully recognized by WES it'll be stated in their report: Admission requirements - Bachelor's degree. Which implies that you've already completed your Bs.

I'm neither a senoir nor an expert however.

DeeBruv

Aug 27, 2014
Lagos, Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Doc's Request.
WES FSW Platform update 12-12-2014
Nomination.....
17-12-2014
AOR Received.
17-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
29th June 2016
Med's Done....
06-07-2015, Updated forms req and RPRF 17-07-2015, Medicals Received 20-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-06-2016 Pick Up Mail 20-06-2016 ECAS Updated to DECISION MADE 23-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
04-07-2016
usa2canada2015 said:
Thanks guys! I think I will start with getting only MS degree evaluated.
Risky that...Too too risky. CIC specifies that all degrees acquired from outside Canada must be evaluated by WES. If some of the degrees were obtained in Canada you need not evaluate those degrees. It costs the same thing at WES. why don't you evaluate all your degrees and be on the safe side? Don't forget that all the certificates and transcripts copies must be submitted to CIC with their ECA evaluation..so what explanation will you give for not evaluating your B.S?

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
usa2canada2015 said:
Hi Guys!

I have a MS degree from USA and a BE degree from India. I am applying for FSWP 2014.

Reviewing the point system, I see that MS degree will fetch me 23 points. I am facing lot of trouble in trying to get the transcripts for my BE degree. Can you please suggest if it will be okay to only get Master's degree evaluated and submitted for ECA? Will not getting the bachelor degree sent to ECA have any impact on my PR application?

Thanks!
I was in the same situation as you. I did NOT send my bachelor's as it would have taken forever. Since my University was recognized, My US Masters is Canadian equivalent. If you have time then get your Bachelor's Degree.

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
Hey rakakatoofaan and usa2canada2015,

what did you guys did finally? Did you get the ECA from WES based on only master's degree?

I am also in similar situation, i have masters from a good US university and bachelors from india. Getting transcripts from Indian university might take a long time. But doubtful whether WES would issue ECA without bachelors degree documents.

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
1-4-2015, Third Line 11-4-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015
Hi Folks...I would like to share my experience with you'll...this might help!

I have done BE from Mumbai Univ and MS in US. I applied for transcripts in India on 9/25 but haven't got them yet...WES evaluation was already completed (MS) on 10/20 and I sent my FSW application to CIC yesterday.

Although WES charges include evaluation of both MS & BS/BE and it is advisable to have all your credentials evaluated, time is of essence!! If you are claiming points for MS, apply for transcripts from India as a back up so that your process gets started, in case if you need them. Check below points:

1 - If your institution is recognized by WES?
2 - Check your degree equivalency on WES website.
3 - You should already know if BE/BS was a prerequisite for your MS. (Total 18 years of education including MS)

If all these points are satisfied then I don't think there should be any issues. I had asked similar questions on this forum and got great help from some folks!

If my response is of any help please give +1 rating. Good luck!!

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
quick update: I got my WES evaluation report. They did it based on my master's degree only. Although I sent my bachelor's transcript as well (and mentioned it in my order), but they completed the evaluation before my bachelors transcripts reached them. The WES evaluation report is as expected and says "Canadian equivalency: Master's degree". My institute is recognized by WES(among top US university). Thanks Hari for the help.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your posts on these forums. They have been super helpful.

I am in a similar situation. I don't have access to my bachelors' documents. However, I have a masters from a top US school. So, I was thinking of applying for WES evaluation based on only my master's degree.

My question: in the form that I am filling up for WES, before submitting the application, should I mention my bachelor's degree? I was thinking that if I mention my bachelors degree then I would have to submit the documents for it. So, I wanted to mention only the master's degree and make no mention of my bachelors degree. Did you guys employ a similar approach?

Thanks a lot!

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
I submitted the complete information (both bachelors and masters) in the WES order, sent the transcripts of masters right away and tried to get bachelors transcripts. But the report was ready before they received my bachelors transcripts. They did the evaluation based on my Master's transcripts only (as it indicates only my master's degree evaluation on WES report). The report of one of my friend who got both masters and bachelors degree evaluated, mentioned both degree on the report.

mohamed1978

Sep 30, 2014
aj355 said:
I submitted the complete information (both bachelors and masters) in the WES order, sent the transcripts of masters right away and tried to get bachelors transcripts. But the report was ready before they received my bachelors transcripts. They did the evaluation based on my Master's transcripts only (as it indicates only my master's degree evaluation on WES report). The report of one of my friend who got both masters and bachelors degree evaluated, mentioned both degree on the report.
I went through the same situation as you. You should contact WES and tell them that you want to evaluate the bachelor degree as well. No need to pay extra money. Send them the required documents and they will send you a revised evaluation report.

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
I don't think I need the revised evaluation report. The report says: "Canadian Equivalency: Master's Degree". The report also says for masters degree: "Admission Requirements: Bachelor's Degree". I believe that is sufficient for FSW as FSW needs the highest credential. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

mohamed1978

Sep 30, 2014
aj355 said:
I don't think I need the revised evaluation report. The report says: "Canadian Equivalency: Master's Degree". The report also says for masters degree: "Admission Requirements: Bachelor's Degree". I believe that is sufficient for FSW as FSW needs the highest credential. Please let me know if you think otherwise.
To be on a safe side, you should evaluate both degrees...no extra money for evaluation...why nor evaluating the bachelor degree as well?...

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
My message to WES:
Hi, I submitted the order for evaluation of my master''s and bachelor''s degree. However I received evaluation of only master''s degree. I need the evaluation of bachelors degree as well. Can you please check and provide me the same? Thanks

WES reply:
Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your message. Recently, you received your WES educational credential assessment (ECA). WES determined that the initial documentation we received met the criteria to develop your educational credential assessment report for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). Your file was expedited in order to help you meet FSWP application deadlines.

Upon request, WES will add a credential equivalency that was not in the original report at no additional charge. This will require however, that you submit documents as required on our website. Once received the credentials will be reviewed.

The original evaluation report which was sent to you will no longer be electronically accessible to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). A revised credential assessment report would be mailed to you and delivered electronically to CIC upon completion.

Please let us know in writing how you would like to proceed. We thank you for choosing WES for your credential assessment.